EasyBCD closes without error message, leaves entry in event log

When I try to launch EasyBCD from Windows 8, it immediately closes without giving any error message or indication that it has launched. The process disappears from Task Manager after a few seconds. After some digging, I found this in the event log:
Application: EasyBCD.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: NeoSmart.Localization.StringNotFoundException
Stack:
at NeoSmart.Localization.LocaleManager.GetString(System.String, System.String, System.String, System.String)
at NeoSmart.Localization.LocaleManager.GetString(System.String, Boolean, System.String)
at ..(System.Exception)
at ..(System.Object, System.Threading.ThreadExceptionEventArgs)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.OnThreadException(System.Exception)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
at System.Windows.Forms.SafeNativeMethods.ShowWindow(System.Runtime.InteropServices.HandleRef, Int32)
at System.Windows.Forms.SafeNativeMethods.ShowWindow(System.Runtime.InteropServices.HandleRef, Int32)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.SetVisibleCore(Boolean)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.SetVisibleCore(Boolean)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext)
at ..()
I have tried reinstalling the application to no avail.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Interesting error - did EasyBCD ever work on this machine?

It did work previously. I rearranged some partitions, which is why I needed to use EasyBCD. I can only boot to Windows 8 where I would like to boot to Windows 7. Perhaps I have a strangely named partition somewhere, which is throwing the error message about strings not being found? The partition management was done under Linux Mint, with GPartEd, if that helps.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Did you change the language in EasyBCD at any point?

Not that I know of. If that were the case, could I reset it, or change it to another language? If there is a UK English option, that's what it should be set to.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Can you export your BCD file and upload it in a zip archive?

bcdedit.exe /export something.bcd

in an elevated command line prompt.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
I wasn't able to reproduce the crash by simply using this BCD.

I'm going to have to create you a debug build that will give more info. I'll make it a point to improve the error message for this exception in future releases to include information about which string is missing.