EasyBCD closes without error message, leaves entry in event log

Slay33D

When I try to launch EasyBCD from Windows 8, it immediately closes without giving any error message or indication that it has launched. The process disappears from Task Manager after a few seconds. After some digging, I found this in the event log:
Application: EasyBCD.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: NeoSmart.Localization.StringNotFoundException
Stack:
at NeoSmart.Localization.LocaleManager.GetString(System.String, System.String, System.String, System.String)
at NeoSmart.Localization.LocaleManager.GetString(System.String, Boolean, System.String)
at ..(System.Exception)
at ..(System.Object, System.Threading.ThreadExceptionEventArgs)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.OnThreadException(System.Exception)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
at System.Windows.Forms.SafeNativeMethods.ShowWindow(System.Runtime.InteropServices.HandleRef, Int32)
at System.Windows.Forms.SafeNativeMethods.ShowWindow(System.Runtime.InteropServices.HandleRef, Int32)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.SetVisibleCore(Boolean)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.SetVisibleCore(Boolean)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext)
at ..()
I have tried reinstalling the application to no avail.

It did work previously. I rearranged some partitions, which is why I needed to use EasyBCD. I can only boot to Windows 8 where I would like to boot to Windows 7. Perhaps I have a strangely named partition somewhere, which is throwing the error message about strings not being found? The partition management was done under Linux Mint, with GPartEd, if that helps.

Not that I know of. If that were the case, could I reset it, or change it to another language? If there is a UK English option, that's what it should be set to.

Can you export your BCD file and upload it in a zip archive?

bcdedit.exe /export something.bcd

in an elevated command line prompt.

I wasn't able to reproduce the crash by simply using this BCD.

I'm going to have to create you a debug build that will give more info. I'll make it a point to improve the error message for this exception in future releases to include information about which string is missing.

Back