EasyBCD does not start on Windows Vista

Perplexed

So I'm new to this whole thing (by thing I mean fixing any part of any technology. I learn as I go. So please bare with me.) and sorry in advance if this is the wrong forum but I think this is the right one. I purchased the Windows Vista 64-Bit Recovery CD from this site because my computer was having a problem booting and I had no windows installation disc since my computer is old (And I never got one). Every time I powered on the computer it would show the screen where you can choose to press F10 for setup or F11 and all that but then after that the screen would go black and this white lettered words would appear saying : "The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum." I couldn't do anything on this screen except CTRL+ALT+DEL, so I did that and it led me to another black screen but with this;

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software blah blah (then it tell me to put the windows installation disc which I don''t have and steps to take).

File: \windows\system32\winload.exe
Satus: 0xc0000221
Info: The file is possibly corrupt. It's header checksum does not match the computed checksum.

I tried googling the following and many google searches later, I found this site and thought this was the answers to my problem. So I purched the 64 vista (and my brother confirmed this is the right one). Downloaded it and burned it onto a CD-R. I made 4 disc because I've read that you have to make sure you burned it right. The first one I did it in a haste so I didn't verify but I used Power2Go (this was a burn option from my computer). The 2nd and 3rd I verified and also used Power2Go to burn. The last one I burned with windows. (Also, I'm not allowed to download Imgburn because the working computer is my brother's and he doesn't let me get it). I checked all 4 discs on my brother's working computer and it does show 'welcome.exe' when it asks how to proceed with disk. I open the file in the discs and all 4 have the same files (The EasyBCD, Bootmgr, etc. and I did not touch or alter anything).

Now, the problem is when I try to run it on the computer that I'm trying to fix. Yes, I did the setup so that the CD driver(?) boots first than the HDD one. And I have even gone to the boot menu and have chosen it myself (the CD driver). So then a screen would appear saying to press any button and I do. It shows that it's loading but then after it finishes loading it just goes back to saying;

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software blah blah (then it tell me to put the windows installation disc which I don''t have and steps to take).

File: \windows\system32\winload.exe
Satus: 0xc0000221
Info: The file is possibly corrupt. It's header checksum does not match the computed checksum.

I've tried booting it so many time but to no avail. The dialog box for EasyBCD never shows. It just loads and then goes back to saying the same error corrupted file thing it has being saying before I got the disc. I'm getting frustrated because I feel I spent 9.75 for something that doesn't work. And I'm hoping that isn't the problem. I've read so many forums and helping guides to help me out with this problem but none do so. I'm also pretty confused about some things since this is all new to me. Please help me.

Additional details: Before I got the recovery tool disc, I tried all manners of booting the computer, including advance options. I've tried safe mode, the command prompt, disable signature enforcement. I've tried them all but none work, the computer just "tries" the option I choose and then just re-boots on it's own. So none work.

On the first screen when I power up this are the buttons I can press and what they do;

[ESC] Boot Menu (I could choose to boot either the HDD or CD driver, nothing much here)
[F9] Diagnostic Tool (It ran a test on memory, which failed and an error code: BIOME-1 appeared)
[F10] Setup (Which I did so the CD boots first than the HDD but still doesn't work)
[F11] System Recovery (This one does not work, I have tried many times but nothing ever happens)

Some people have mention pressing a button for the partition? How can I do this and would it help?

Sometimes it would say another file is corrupt. Either \boot\memtest.exe and kernel (?)

I have read the thread about the dual-booting, I do understand but am not sure if it has anything to do with my problem.

I gave all this information to answer some questions before hand so sorry if it's long. The problem is EasyBCD is not working on the computer I want to repair (again, all 4 disc only loads but then nothing happens and would go back to saying 'Windows failed to start. this file (winload.exe) is corrupt'). I would like to find a solution to make it work or why it isn't working or what could help. Am I doing something wrong or am I missing something?

Last edited:
It sounds like something is corrupted with your hard disk. I'm sending you something via email that may help.

I have sent an email to your hotmail account (the one you used to register here).
Good luck.

Back