EasyBCD used in SATA compatibility mode

gswiss

I'm using EasyBCD 1.7.2 with Net Framework 2.0 installed under XP-SP2 and I'm running into the "Unhandled exception has occurred" error message when I want to define the two OS's.

I'm providing a few details so that you can assess whether the change I made in the BIOS is behind this.

I installed XP in dual boot mode with Vista pre-installed on a Toshiba Satellite L350-20J notebook.

Since I couldn't find the appropriate files for the F6 process in the Matrix Storage Manager (in the L350 Toshiba driver section for XP, you get an EXE file) to use at xp install time, in the BIOS I switched the SATA AHCI parameter to "compatibility". The XP installation went fine.

Once XP was installed, when I tried to run the Matrix Storage Manager driver, I got the message "This computer does not meet minimum requirements for installing the software". On the other hand, the chipset utility was installed without a hitch.

When I used EasyBCD to define the two OS entries (under "add/remove entries"), Vista was displayed in the top panel and the disk reader C: was correct. Whenever I tried to redefine Vista or define XP, I would get the above-mentioned error message.

When I switched back the "compatibilty" parameter to AHCI in the BIOS, the system would not boot properly. It would direct me to the multiple choice screen for Safe mode, etc.

Is there a link between the error message and the "compatibility" mode ?

FYI, this is the umpteenth time I've used EasyBCD in dual boot situations.

Question: Why do you need to adjust the settings?

EasyBCD doesnt allow you when adding to select the drive for XP or earlier entries cause it determines it automatically. Adding a Vista entry allows you to pick the drive to point to.

If you're having problems dual-booting one or more of the OSes, obtain the latest beta build of EasyBCD. If you're still having problems please provide the details of debug mode from EasyBCD -> View Settings page and a screenshot of disk management.

My friend is so happy to run under XP that he doesn't want me to improve performance by switching back to AHCI mode. He's satisfied as things are.

Back