EasyBCS failed to detect a valid installation of Windows NT-2003...

Hi,

I have Windows 7 and i decided to install windows xp x64 on the same drive, so i created another partition. Everything went fine until i tried to add a new entry and i got that error. this is the second time i install xp, and the first time (on xp) when i clicked on "view settings" i could see the default o.s., windows 7, and windows xp. Windows 7' bootloader path was (and still is) \Windows\system32\winload.exe (and winload.exe was actually there). Xp's bootloader was the same \Windows\system32\winload.exe obvioulsy on it's partition, so i wrote the windows 7 bootloader to che mbr and restarted. Windows 7 worked but Xp didn't boot because first the file winload.exe was missing and then ntldr was missing too. When i installed xp again, i when to look for those file in the Windows (XP) \system32 folder but they didn't exist. What's wrong?

this is the actual entry:

There is one entry in the Windows bootloader.

Default: Windows 7
Timeout: 30 seconds
Boot Drive: C:\

Entry #1
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {default}
Drive: E:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

In My Computer i got 4 partitions:

System Reserved (C:smile:
Local Disk (D:smile: ........where xp is installed
Windows 7 (E:smile:
StrelokSTK (F:smile:

in the System Reserved partition there is boot.ini, ntldr, ntdetect.com and other files.

Winload.exe is the Vista/7 bootloader.
NTLDR is the XP boot manager/loader.
That XP entry you quoted was wrong.
Did you select the NT/XP entry in the dropdown ?
Sounds like you selected Vista/7

Did you install XP into a folder named something other than "Windows" or "WinNT" ?

the first time i tried to add a new entry i tried XP and it didn't work. then i asked myself "maybe if i select vista/7 it will work" but it didn't, because it went to find the winload.exe fiel that doesnt exist. then i deleted this installation. The second time (this time) i tried to add a new entry selecting nt/xp but i get that error. the windows folder's name is correct, it's called WINDOWS. Where is the file ntldr supposed to be? it's not located in D:\WINDOWS\system32, it is in the System Reserved partition C:

Addendum:

* the kernel.dll version is 5.x

Last edited:
Boot files are all hidden.
Vista/7's are "super hidden"
You need folder options set like this to find them.
They're in the root of the "system" partition, not inside any folder.
Are you using the latest Beta ?
If not, get it, delete the XP entry and add it again.
If you're still getting a problem, post a screenshot of your Disk Management. (sticky contains how-to info, if needed)

1. i am using easybcd beta
2. i can't delete the xp entry, because i can't even add it
3. i set those folder options, but i don't understand where is the Root folder. is it System Reserved? that very small partition?

later ill post a screenshot

woaaaa i discovered something!!! on the XP partition which is D:, (folder options are seto to show everything) i found a folder called "RECYCLER" which contains 1 folder with the recycle bin icon called "S-1-5-21-4154274600-4292879224-541451575-500", which contains boot.ini, ntldr, and ntdetect.com. I realized that those files are the ones contained in the recycle bin and i dont know how they got there. now i restored them to their location which is the root folder D:.
i tried once again to add an entry but it still doesn't work. for fun i tried to add the win7/vista, and the 98 entry, and it add them, even though they're not installed!

5.gif

I don't understand your problem.
That screenshot shows you're booted into XP.
Is XP the only system you can boot ? Earlier you said W7 was OK.

I can only boot in windows XP. I want to have that menu where you can choose which os load. to do that i should add the xp entry but i can't. i could white the windows7 bootloader to the MBR but then i wont be able to boot in xp.. Or do i have to add the XP entry from windows 7?

Install the Vista/7 bootloader to the MBR
Boot W7
Install EasyBCD in W7
Add the XP entry from W7.

ok i will do that

Addendum:

it works it works!!!! the files ntldr and boot.ini were in the system reserved folder, so i moved them in the root of the windows partition and now it works!!! THANKS!!

Last edited:
Install the Vista/7 bootloader to the MBR
Boot W7
Install EasyBCD in W7
Add the XP entry from W7.

Thanks, @Terry60 that worked!!, now i am able to boot into w7....added the entry for xp from w7 .

Last edited:
Back