Fixing Vista Boot Partition

atrix415

Fixing Vista Boot Partition <SOLVED>

hi, I just bought one of those Dell Mini as a small spare system.

I am having trouble fixing the boot parition for Vista. I managed to create a bootable Vista and XP on USB. Load it and repaired startup fine. I also checked the bcdedit which points to C: Drive and diskpart points to C: Drive.

But when I load into Vista, Vista bootloader the drive changed to D: instead of C: primary. This made every file looking for the C: and does not boot correctly. I try to boot paragon, partition magic..etc with no luck booting it on this mini and because it has no disk drive. Anyone?

ex:
Inside Vista Installation DVD (cmd)
Diskpart, bcdedit shows bootloader, bootmgr as c:

When booting Vista
The drive change to D: and all files get messed up.
diskpart, bcdedit shows Vista main HDD is D:

p.s, I can access part of Vista and able to cmd fine. But when I login it shows "preparing your desktop for the first time" each login. I think I need to edit the bcdedit inside vista but with no luck. Please anyone with any suggestions feel free to comment or post. i don't want to end up wiping the entire drive as I want to keep the original settings . I also cannot stat Easybcd or VistabootPro because the OS is D:

Last edited:
Glad you solved your problem. If you need anything else, just ask and we'll do our best to answer :smile:

Back