GRUB2 installed, tried to restore WinBCD, cannot find boot registry. :(

hunterm

I'm using Windows 7 (32-bit, if that helps)
Well, I had GRUB2 installed, and when I first started EasyBCD 2.0.1, it said that it coulden't find a "BCD Registry". I kind-of expected an error since it probably expected to see Windows' bootloader. Well, I wanted to reinstall Windows 7's bootloader, so, I press No on the dialog box, clicked Bootloader Setup, and pressed Write MBR (With "Install the Windows Vista/7 bootloader to the MBR" radio button checked). Then, I closed EasyBCD, and opened it back up, hoping not to see any error from EasyBCD. The same error I got before re-installing it appeared. Any idea how to fix it?

Right now, I'm too scared to reboot my computer, fearing that I won't be able to boot into Ubuntu or Windows. Please respond! :frowning:

BCD Backup/Repair > Re-create boot files. Before rebooting confirm theres an entry for Windows 7. Add a new grub2 entry for Ubuntu.

I just did that. Still can't find BCD Registry. No entries.

Addendum:

Oh, great news!! :grinning:

I just found the bcd file, it was under the C:\Boot folder (which wasn't listed, and I even had hidden files showing.), so it detected entries, and I'm happy again :smile:

Last edited:
If EasyBCD isn't finding the BCD, it may be because it's not on the "active" partition.
Is the partition marked "system" also "active" ?

Back