Guess: Triple Boot Problems

t3hi3x

Ok. Obviously (like most people I am wanting to triple boot).

I have a 100 gig hd (ide) and have it partitioned 5 ways: [XP][Vista][Ubuntu][SWAP][FileDrive]

only the xp, vista, and ubuntu are primary, the other 2 are logical
my mbr is on the xp driver (duh?)

i installed xp and vista and i had planned to install ubuntu 7.04 when it came out. i went to install it and i didnt realize that i had made ubuntu a logical drive (as far as i know you cannot boot off of a logical partition). SO...i used a diskmanager to convert my file drive to a logical partition and my ubuntu to a primary.

I can read the ubuntu drive (ext2/3) in vista/xp because i found a driver thing for it.

I can see the boot/grub files, but i dont know what to do with them.

Another thing is i have a grub that boots before the vistaloader (most will know why). I dont really care when i decide to hit the ubuntu boot loader, i just want it to boot. I tried neogrub and it throws me back at the screen that is the orignal grub then ultimately back at the vista boot loader.

I tried chainloading the boot loaders by the instructions on the website, but i either did something wrong or it didnt work.

Anytime i choose to add an entry using easyBCD i get an error saying that /nst/nst_grub.mbr cant be found, but i have know idea where it comes from in the first place.

thanks for your help.'

--
Alex

Actually, it's now possible to boot into logical partitions with Vista and Ubuntu, but that's not a problem.

Here's what you should do:

Boot into the Ubuntu DVD's Live CD feature.
Open a command prompt, and type
Code:
sudo grub
then continue with the instructions at http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Linux

This will install GRUB to the bootsector of the Ubuntu drive.

Boot back into Windows Vista.
Make sure you have a folder called NST in the root directory of your boot drive (supposed to be C:\NST, but it may differ in rare circumstances).

Open EasyBCD. Add/Remove Entries. Delete the Linux entries.
Add/Remove Entries -> Linux/BSD -> Set the partition and drive data (hard disk starts at 0, partition count starts at 1) -> Add Entry.

Reboot. Select the new Linux option in the *Vista* bootloader. :smile:

Cheers!

Back