Hard Drive Died - Need to Restore Dual Boot - help Please!

captive8

Hi to everyone on the forum.

I am a new user of the terrific EasyBCD and need help restoring a dual boot system that previously functioned ok. This is what has happened.
I built a new system in January and have real problems with faulty hardware. So far I have had 4 faulty hd's, 1 faulty DVD drive and a motherboard that died after 2 weeks! Not great luck.
Anyway a couple of weeks ago I thought I had the system running stable with all the components operative. I installed a dual boot system on separate drives. XP on C and Vista on D. The machine ran great until a week ago when the XP drive failed. Luckily I had a image of the drive created with ShadowProtect. I bought a new drive and dumped the image back to it. I got the dual boot screen ok but am getting the can't find NTLDR message.

I have checked the XP drive and have noticed that all the boot files are there although I cannot open the boot.ini file as I keep getting 'Access Denied' message each time I try. In disk management it is listed as the system drive 'D'. In EasyBCD it shows as a deleted partition. I have never used the program before and just wondered what I would need to change to get the dual boot back. I have included a couple of screens to show the details above.
EasyBCD_Main.jpg

CompManagement.jpg

WinXP Folder01.jpg

Hope someone can help with this problem.

Cheers:tongueout:

Hello captive8 and welcome to NST!

Troubleshooting Windows XP - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

That page there addresses your NTLDR issue. Basically you see the boot files on the XP drive you need to copy them over to the root of the Vista drive. (The D:\ Drive)

After you do you should have a working dual boot again. :wink:

After looking at the drive picture copy over the NTLDR, NTDETECT and boot.ini files. All 3 fo those shoudl be in the root of the Vista drive. :smile:

Last edited:
Hello captive8 and welcome to NST!

Troubleshooting Windows XP - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

That page there addresses your NTLDR issue. Basically you see the boot files on the XP drive you need to copy them over to the root of the Vista drive. (The D:\ Drive)

After you do you should have a working dual boot again. :wink:

After looking at the drive picture copy over the NTLDR, NTDETECT and boot.ini files. All 3 fo those shoudl be in the root of the Vista drive. :smile:

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, copying the files to the Vista drive did not work. I think the problem is that the boot.ini refers to the XP drive which is listed in EasyBCD as a deleted partition. I think this is the problem that needs to be solved I am just not sure how to go about it.
If anyone has any suggestions, I would be grateful of the help.

Thanks

Delete the XP entry in EasyBCD, and re-create it once more.

Followed your advice Computer Guru and it worked perfectly! Thank you very much for your help, it really was appreciated.

Finally, I have to say that EasyBCD is an absolutely fantastic program, indispensible if you have a dual boot system.

Cheers:grinning:

Back