HELP BOOTMGR IS MISSING!

markd11

ive been searching through the net on how to fix this mess...ive seen a couple of repairs but it doesnt work for me. i tried installing the recovery disk which i got from this site...and im one of those guys that knows a lil bit of computer...i got a gateway laptop...hope some1 can help me step by step...thanks! windows vista 32 bit...doesnt have the WINDOWS OS DVD.

Hello markd11, welcome to NST.
Run Startup Repair 2-3 times (it can only fix one boot problem per pass) from our recovery disk, and your problem should be fixed.

Cheers.

Jake

Hello markd11, welcome to NST.
Run Startup Repair 2-3 times (it can only fix one boot problem per pass) from our recovery disk, and your problem should be fixed.

Cheers.

Jake

still am i going to use the recovery disc found in this website? and then run the system repair a couple of times?

im working on it right now, but still doesnt work...i doing the startup repair a couple of times but still doesnt work.
Seems a bit too soon...:S :compares the time between the two posts:
Wait until it completes the first time, and then run it again (until it completes), and then test. If its still not working after the second time of running Startup Repair, then run it a 3rd time, and it will most likely work after that. As mentioned before, it sometimes takes at least 3 times before it fixes everything.

Seems a bit too soon...:S :compares the time between the two posts:
Wait until it completes the first time, and then run it again (until it completes), and then test. If its still not working after the second time of running Startup Repair, then run it a 3rd time, and it will most likely work after that. As mentioned before, it sometimes takes at least 3 times before it fixes everything.

u mean if i did a startup repair the first time and says something like startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically...then what should i do? just restart my computer? does that involve taking the recovery disk first and then restart? im so sorry...i dont have that much knowledge about computer...

No, no need to take the CD out. Just hit the X at the top of the window, and you should get a message saying it might restart if you do that (hit Ok). And then once it restarts, hit a key again when getting the message "Press any key..." to enter the setup again. And then go to the page where you can start Startup Repair, and run it again. After the second time of running Startup Repair, hit the X again, except when it reboots, and you get the message "Press any key...", this time, do not press a key, so it tried to start Windows normally. If that fails, and you get a error message, you should be able to hit Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart the computer. And then that time, hit the key to enter the setup again, and run Startup Repair the 3rd time. And that should fix the problem.

No, no need to take the CD out. Just hit the X at the top of the window, and you should get a message saying it might restart if you do that (hit Ok). And then once it restarts, hit a key again when getting the message "Press any key..." to enter the setup again. And then go to the page where you can start Startup Repair, and run it again. After the second time of running Startup Repair, hit the X again, except when it reboots, and you get the message "Press any key...", this time, do not press a key, so it tried to start Windows normally. If that fails, and you get a error message, you should be able to hit Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart the computer. And then that time, hit the key to enter the setup again, and run Startup Repair the 3rd time. And that should fix the problem.

it doesnt show any drive under system recovery options...

like operating system - partition size - location...

it doesnt show any drive under system recovery options...

like operating system - partition size - location...
Its not supposed to. Simply select Startup Repair on the System Recovery Options screen, and that will take you to a screen where you select the installation of Windows to repair. If it doesn't show anything there at that point, hit Next anyway, and you will most likely see the OS installation the next time you get to that screen after running Startup Repair, and you can select it then to repair.

Last edited:
Its not supposed to. Simply select Startup Repair on the System Recovery Options screen, and that will take you to a screen where you select the installation of Windows to repair. If it doesn't show anything there at that point, hit Next anyway, and you will likely see the OS installation the next time you get to that screen after running Startup Repair, and you can select it then to repair.

still no luck...is there any other way to fix it? like using the command prompt? otherwise i might end up going to best buy and have them fix it...still i dont have the OS DVD...

still no luck...is there any other way to fix it? like using the command prompt? otherwise i might end up going to best buy and have them fix it...still i dont have the OS DVD...
If running Startup Repair at least 3 times doesn't fix the issue, then try the manual steps found in the wiki article for recovering the Vista bootloader from the dvd:
Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

EDIT: One thing that you should keep in mind though in regards to the article is the fact that the program "bootsect.exe" does not exist on our recovery disk. So a workaround can be achieved (if you have EasyBCD installed anywhere on the system) by going to the directory C:\Program Files\NeoSmart Technologies\EasyBCD\bin with the "cd" command and run "bootsect.exe" from there instead.

Last edited:
If running Startup Repair at least 3 times doesn't fix the issue, then try the manual steps found in the wiki article for recovering the Vista bootloader from the dvd:
Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Warning the instructions below assume that the program bootsect.exe is present on the booted Vista recovery disk. It was included on earlier distributions of Vista, but was subsequently omitted. If your DVD contains a copy in the boot folder, the instructions can be followed as listed. If not (and our downloadable CD images do not) you will need to pick up a copy elsewhere before proceeding. ---where can i get these?

Addendum:

so does that mean i need to burn another file with the bootsect.exe on it? and replace the X: as the drive where the cd is located? is that right?

Last edited:
Warning the instructions below assume that the program bootsect.exe is present on the booted Vista recovery disk. It was included on earlier distributions of Vista, but was subsequently omitted. If your DVD contains a copy in the boot folder, the instructions can be followed as listed. If not (and our downloadable CD images do not) you will need to pick up a copy elsewhere before proceeding. ---where can i get these?

Addendum:

so does that mean i need to burn another file with the bootsect.exe on it? and replace the X: as the drive where the cd is located? is that right?
Sorry, I just thought of that (right before your post) and was in the process of editing my last post with that information when you asked this question. If you have EasyBCD installed on your system, you can browse to the "bin" directory that has it, via the command line, with:
Code:
cd /d C:\Program Files\NeoSmart Technologies\EasyBCD\bin
and simply use bootsect from there instead. The file would have been added to our recovery disk a long time ago, but wasn't because of legal issues with Microsoft.

Sorry, I just thought of that (right before your post) and was in the process of editing my last post with that information when you asked this question. If you have EasyBCD installed on your system, you can browse to the "bin" directory that has it, via the command line, with:
Code:
cd /d C:\Program Files\NeoSmart Technologies\EasyBCD\bin
and simply use bootsect from there instead. The file would have been added to our recovery disk a long time ago, but wasn't because of legal issues with Microsoft.

so are you suppose to add the bootsect.exe?

so are you suppose to add the bootsect.exe?
No, just run it from the /bin directory of the EasyBCD program file folder as mentioned before (it exists in that /bin folder).
Once cd-ing to that directory, you can use
Code:
bootsect.exe /?
to get a list of the available options, or you can just simply type (and press Enter after each one) the commands mentioned in the wiki.

ok, ive got another screen that says...its uinder my advance boot options

choose advanced options for:windows setup

Safe moder
safe moder with networking
safe mode with command prompt

enable boot logging
enable low-resolution video
last known good configuration
directory services restore mode
debugging mode
disable automatic restart on system failure
disable driver signature enforcement

start windows normally

-so which one should i choose?

Yes, try Safe Mode and Last Known Good Configuration options before the manual steps in the wiki (I should of thought of that before). There's a chance you might be able to boot with one of those options. If not, then follow through with the manual steps in the wiki.

Yes, try Safe Mode and Last Known Good Configuration options before the manual steps in the wiki (I should of thought of that before). There's a chance you might be able to boot with one of those options. If not, then follow through with the manual steps in the wiki.

can u pls post what you were referring about the safe mode under wiki...im so sorry im so dumb about computers...

Back