HELP BOOTMGR IS MISSING!

The wiki contains how-tos for recovery and EasyBCD user documentation. The wikis here. Click on the "space" under spaces for the topic you're interested in. The manual steps for recovery that cool is talking about can be found here.

The wiki contains how-tos for recovery and EasyBCD user documentation. The wikis here. Click on the "space" under spaces for the topic you're interested in. The manual steps for recovery that cool is talking about can be found here.

i was in the process of using the advance options when i got an error that says bootmgr is missing and then i just press f8...coolname007 say that i can still fix it through safe mode...how can i do that...sorry, i know a little about computer. someone has to guide me...sorry for giving you a hard time.

i was in the process of using the advance options when i got an error that says bootmgr is missing and then i just press f8...coolname007 say that i can still fix it through safe mode...how can i do that...sorry, i know a little about computer. someone has to guide me...sorry for giving you a hard time.
Correction: I stated that you might be able to boot with Safe Mode, or you might be able to fix the problem by using the "Last known good configuration" option. No guarantees. If it so happens that you can boot into Safe Mode, then try looking around, and figuring out what caused the problem in the first place. Oftentimes, an update (either from MS or just an update for some program you use) is what causes boot failure for some reason or other. Or it could be driver that failed, or any number of reasons (could even be a virus or malware). Another thing you may want to try is System Restore, to see if you can restore to a point before the problem occured. You should also run a few scans using maware/virus detection scanners to see if it comes up with anything. That could be the root of the problem. If you're able to boot with Safe Mode, then chances are that you will also be able to boot with Safe Mode with Networking. If that is the case, then you will have Internet access from the broken system, and you can research your particular problem with Google, and hopefully find a long-term solution.

Hope it helps.

Jake

Correction: I stated that you might be able to boot with Safe Mode, or you might be able to fix the problem by using the "Last known good configuration" option. No guarantees. If it so happens that you can boot into Safe Mode, then try looking around, and figuring out what caused the problem in the first place. Oftentimes, an update (either from MS or just an update for some program you use) is what causes boot failure for some reason or other. Or it could be driver that failed, or any number of reasons (could even be a virus or malware). Another thing you may want to try is System Restore, to see if you can restore to a point before the problem occured. You should also run a few scans using maware/virus detection scanners to see if it comes up with anything. That could be the root of the problem. If you're able to boot with Safe Mode, then chances are that you will also be able to boot with Safe Mode with Networking. If that is the case, then you will have Internet access from the broken system, and you can research your particular problem with Google, and hopefully find a long-term solution.

Hope it helps.

Jake

ok, ill try to figure this one out. otherwise i might as well head over to my local computer shop and have them fix...thanks for your time and patience.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. :smile:

Regards,

Jake

P.S. Keep in mind that what local computer shop techs usually do is just reformat and reinstall. That appears to be the average computer tech's definition of "fixing" a problem. And they will also likely charge you for it as well, when you can probably do the same thing yourself for free. Just FYI...

Last edited:
Good luck, and let us know how it goes. :smile:

Regards,

Jake

P.S. Keep in mind that what local computer shop techs usually do is just reformat and reinstall. That appears to be the average computer tech's definition of "fixing" a problem. And they will also likely charge you for it as well, when you can probably do the same thing yourself for free. Just FYI...

ive read some of the post here that using some1's OS dvd will help fix it...

ive read some of the post here that using some1's OS dvd will help fix it...
Yes, that will work for reinstallation of Vista (though you will need to use your own product key, not the one on the dvd), as mentioned in an earlier post. If you wish to reinstall Vista (probably would be best anyway if you can't resolve this problem soon), then just borrow a Vista dvd from a friend, if you know someone, and use your own product key to reinstall it.
Then you will have a fresh system that will probably run a lot better anyway. :wink:

Cheers.

Your product key btw well be on a sticker attached to the computer should you need it during the installation.

Sounds like you may have a virus that is trashing your BCD. You need to run an anti-malware scan on all your Windows partitions to make sure you're not infected.

Sounds like you may have a virus that is trashing your BCD. You need to run an anti-malware scan on all your Windows partitions to make sure you're not infected.

oh my god...i might have to reinstall vista again...thanks for informing me...good thing i still have my documents and pictures, it was saved under windows.old folder.

oh my god...i might have to reinstall vista again...thanks for informing me...good thing i still have my documents and pictures, it was saved under windows.old folder.
Not necessarily...
If you get rid of the virus before it does any more harm (it will probably be on a different partition than Vista's since reinstalling it didn't help), then you shouldn't have to reinstall Vista again. Just make sure to use a decent virii scanner, so whatever it is can be detected and removed.
I'd backup my data to external storage though, if I were you...:wink:

Not necessarily...
If you get rid of the virus before it does any more harm (it will probably be on a different partition than Vista's since reinstalling it didn't help), then you shouldn't have to reinstall Vista again. Just make sure to use a decent virii scanner, so whatever it is can be detected and removed.
I'd backup my data to external storage though, if I were you...:wink:

cool, thanks. now that i fixed my computer.

Back