[Help] Dual booting Windows 7 and Server 2003

nithin

Hi, i read the faq and the options were not applicable to me.

Here is my problem,

My default OS is Windows 7 64 bit. Recently my friend installed Windows server on a new HDD in his system and later gave me that hard drive. I first disconnected the Windows 7 HDD and connected only the Windows Server HDD to check, it booted fine. Then i connected back the Windows 7 HDD and set it as the first boot drive in BIOS. I am able to boot into Windows 7.

Using EasyBCD, i first clicked on the Boorloader Setup, then selected the Windows Server partition and clicked on install BCD. Then i added a new entry. After i restart , i can see the Windows server entry but if i select it, i get an error saying i have to contact the administrator as some file is missing. I am sure i must have missed something. Could some one help me fix this please. Thanks.

What you used was "create bootable external media"
Your Server HDD was already bootable and is not external, it's on an internal HDD.
That option is for making a bootable flashdrive for example.
All you needed to do was add an entry to the BCD for the other OS, not alter the other OS in any way.
Did you Use EasyBCD 2.0 ?
Did you let it autoconfigure the entry ?
Did you refrain from changing the drive letter in the BCD entry ?
The missing file (probably NTLDR ? ) is probably due to you looking in the wrong place. (that's why EasyBCD auto-configures)
The sticky thread covers it all (for XP, read Server 2003, they're both part of the NT family, both in the same EasyBCD dropdown menu)

Check that the other HDD still boots by itself to make sure you haven't borked its boot sector with the "ext media" stuff.

Last edited:
I removed my Windows 7 HDD and tried to boot with the Server 2003 HDD. I got an error message
Windows failed to start, A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer
2. Choose your language settings
3. Click Repair your computer

File: \Boot\BCD
Info: The windows Boot Configuration Data file does not contain a valid OS entry.
After my initial post i downloaded the ntldr files and created a folder under g: and placed those files there.

After that i am getting a "ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt " error when i select the Server 2003 option from the boot menu.

Find the EasyBCD bootloader entiers screen shot attached. Do i need to modify anything here?

Also when i created the bootable external media i selected the partition G: which is the server 2003 partition.

Kindly tell me what do i do to fix this issue please. Thanks.

Attachments

• easybcd.jpg
    easybcd.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 9
You appear to be booting via the BCD you've installed on 2k3 (boot manager G:smile:
Have you got the BIOS set to boot from the W7 HDD ?
What happens if you boot with 2k3 disconnected ? What does the BCD say then ?

Yes i have set in BIOS to boot from W7 HDD.

With the S2003 HDD removed, W7 boots in fine but when i select S2003 in the boot manager, it says NTLDR is missing or corrupt.

I inserted the s2003 CD, booted from it and fixed the MBR for S2003 HDD.

I disconnected the W7 HDD, set the BIOS to boot from S2003 HDD and i get the error

Windows failed to start, A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer
2. Choose your language settings
3. Click Repair your computer

File: \Boot\BCD
Info: The windows Boot Configuration Data file does not contain a valid OS entry.
With W7 HDD connected and set in BIOS to boot from, W7 boots normally and if i select the S2003 option i get an error "ntoskrnl.exe" is missing or corrupt.

Kindly guide me to fix this please.

Update: I tried to fix the boot by running the BOOTCFG /REBUILD command and now with or without the W7 HDD i get the error "ntoskrnl.exe" is missing.

How do i fix this? Thanks.

Last edited:
Sounds like your 2k3 install may be damaged. I'd do a repair install of Windows 2003, then use EasyBCD to get the dual-boot with Windows 7 back.

Sounds like your 2k3 install may be damaged. I'd do a repair install of Windows 2003, then use EasyBCD to get the dual-boot with Windows 7 back.

You mean a complete reinstall of the OS? I have some Server Applications Installed which i had to practice on. Is there no other way to fix my issue? It is a big pain to re-install those apps.

NT systems have "repair install" as an option. It's like an inplace upgrade, leaving your data and apps untouched. (Sadly not available in Vista/7/S2008)

NT systems have "repair install" as an option. It's like an inplace upgrade, leaving your data and apps untouched. (Sadly not available in Vista/7/S2008)

Is that a command i can run from recovery console in server 2003?

I just put the windows server 2003 cd and ran the recovery console. It detected my installation but how do i repair it? I dont see any repair command. Kindly guide me please. Thanks.

Last edited:
I managed to fix the boot for my Server 2003 drive. Now if i sent that hdd to boot from in BIOS, i can boot into Server 2003.

Could you tell me how do i remove the existing entries from windows 7 and add a new entry to be able to boot into Server 2003? Thanks.

Back