Help removing partition

Ok, I'm sorry. I had to choose swapoff for the swap partition. Now I can resize anthing. So, I want to resize the extended partition with the 35GiB unallocated? Or do I want to delete sda5 (linux-swap) first?

Ok, I'm sorry. I had to choose swapoff for the swap partition. Now I can resize anthing. So, I want to resize the extended partition with the 35GiB unallocated? Or do I want to delete sda5 (linux-swap) first?

Resize the extended. From the screenshot, it looks like sda5 (your swap partition) is inside the extended partition, so you don't have to delete this one. :wink:

-Coolname007

You want to delete the swap and extend the other with the free space. Isn't 35GB enough space for a OS X partition though? Do what you want, but if you've got that much space and gotten that far without messing up your boot I'd go ahead and start installing OS X.

You want to delete the swap and extend the other with the free space. Isn't 35GB enough space for a OS X partition though? Do what you want, but if you've got that much space and gotten that far without messing up your boot I'd go ahead and start installing OS X.

No, that would be a bad move, Justin... :wink: He can keep his swap partition, since it is inside the extended, and resize his extended, so that it uses up all the free space, and the free space gets moved where its inside his extended as well. After that, he could create the partition he needs out of the free space in the extended.

-Coolname007

Addendum:

Ok, I think I have it. Does this look right?

PERFECT! :grinning: Looks good. I don't think the FAT 32 filesystem would work with OSX though, but that shouldn't be a problem, since the setup should be able to reformat it with HFS + filesystem, and you should be good.

Exactly what you needed to do.

Cheers,

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Great, thanks. I read somehwere to format to fat32 before installing ideneb. I don't know where/why.

I can't thank you enough for your help. I'd give you rep if I could.

Yeah, you should be able to install iDeneb now onto that partition. Let us know if you have any more questions or problems. :smile:

-Coolname007

Hah, I'm sure I will. I'm looking for some kind of guide on installing it. Don't I need to know all of my hardware, etc etc before installing?

Hah, I'm sure I will. I'm looking for some kind of guide on installing it. Don't I need to know all of my hardware, etc etc before installing?

Well, I believe you will encounter multiple problems in installing OSX on a non-Mac PC. :wink: But there are certainly guides on the web for making it happen, though I don't know how much success these people have had. Just try Googling stuff like "installing Mac OS X on a Windows PC". Getting stuff to work on your Mac OS is going to be tough though, to be frank, but we'll deal with these problems when they come, eh? :wink: Probably, by the time you're done, you'll just wish you bought a Mac! :brows:

-Coolname007

hehe. I'm doing this more for learning/fun than anything. It'll just be cool to have all 3 on one pc. Ok, I'll just dive in and cross my fingers I guess.

Addendum:

Well, after about 10 minutes loading osx I got o the "Select a Destination" screen and there are no disks listed.

Ok, I went to the disk utility and there are 4 disks listed (all shaded out as unreadable I assume), but the newly created partition isn't there. They're listed as:
disk0s1
disk0s2
disk0s3
disk0s5

Maybe I need to go back to gparted and format to a different fs?

I read osx uses HFS+ fs? Hopefully that's an option in gparted.

Edit: It seems I forgot to click apply after changing the file system. It was still unallocated when I got back to gparted. I wanted to format to hfs+ but that option was shaded out in gparted. Any idea why? I went back to fat32, and clicked apply this time.

Here we go again...

Hmm, still no disk to install to. I'm in the disk utility for os x, and I'm about to format the new partition. I have 5 options:

Mac OS extended (journaled)
Mac OS extended
Mac OS extended (case-sensitive, Journaled)
Mac OS extended (case-sensitive)
MS-DOS (FAT)

I wonder which one I want? Probably not ms-dos...

Ok, sweet...formatted to mac os extended-journaled and it's now installing =)

Wow, it actually installed and is running! I'm sure I'll have to work out drivers (no sound so far) but everything seems normal. I guess I'll have to figure out how to get all three bootable now.

I can re-instate grub, and then use easybcd to load osx?

Last edited:
No, that would be a bad move, Justin... :wink: He can keep his swap partition, since it is inside the extended, and resize his extended, so that it uses up all the free space, and the free space gets moved where its inside his extended as well. After that, he could create the partition he needs out of the free space in the extended.

Why do we haft to play back and forth on the best way to go about doing things? The user's going to do what they believe will work best, end of story.

He stated he didn't want his swap anymore, though I had stated he should just keep it in case cause his linux install might crash on him since he set it up with swap and it would no longer exist if that is what he wanted to do. So no, it isn't what I'd do, but I went ahead and supported him on what he wanted. And whats wrong with deleting the swap anyway? It would still be free space in the extended partition he could apply to the 35gb one for OS X. And even it wasn't, he could resize his extended with the free space like said.

Now back to OS X. Yeah the hfs+ journaling fs is what you want. If you can't get it working on your non-mac pc there isn't much we can do other than recommending that you acquire a mac for OS X. If you're using an illegal copy, we will also not support it, so best of luck.

Addendum:

No don't reinstall grub. Reinstall the Vista bootloader with your Vista DVD to the mbr using startup repair. Than you should be able to use EasyBCD to add an entry for OS X. Try the beta for EasyBCD here, as this will probably have more support for OS X than the current version.

Last edited:
No don't reinstall grub. Reinstall the Vista bootloader with your Vista DVD to the mbr using startup repair. Than you should be able to use EasyBCD to add an entry for OS X. Try the beta for EasyBCD here, as this will probably have more support for OS X than the current version.

I know from his previous thread he is already using EasyBCD 2.0 Beta. So not much point in him installing it again, unless he uninstalled it, or doesn't have it anymore for some reason...:wink: BTW, he only wanted to deleted his swap because he reached the 4 primary partition limit. I did the smarter thing by telling him to resize his existing Win 7 partition, create an extended out of the free space, and then create a logical disk within that extended for his *new* swap partition.

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. Is there some reason I shouldn't re-instate grub. It worked perfectly for me between ubuntu and win7. Coolname suggested I use easybcd to load osx which I can still use after grub loads.
Besides, I can't get easybcd to load ubuntu so I don't think I have another option.

Thanks for the comments. Is there some reason I shouldn't re-instate grub. It worked perfectly for me between ubuntu and win7. Coolname suggested I use easybcd to load osx which I can still use after grub loads.
Besides, I can't get easybcd to load ubuntu so I don't think I have another option.

No, no reason at all. :wink: As long as you can get into Windows ok with Grub, you should be able to use the Windows bootmgr (with the help of EasyBCD) to chainload into the Mac loader. As far as I know, this does not require having the Win 7 bootloader installed to the MBR, in place of Grub. Just add an entry for your OS X partition, under the Mac tab in the Add/Remove Entries section of EasyBCD, and see if it works. :smile: Which OSes are booting at the moment?

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Ok, I guess I'll do that now...nearly at the final step here (not including getting all my hardware working with osx).
So far OSX is running very smoothly. I made the mistake of trying to update only to make it unbootable so I had to go back to gparted and format again and reinstall osx. Updates check are off, so that shouldn't be an issue again.

Yeah it doesn't require Vista's bootloader to be primary in control, but doing it this way well leave with a 2-menu boot proccess everytime you want to load Windows or OS X. If you make Vista's bootloader primary, you should be able to use EasyBCD for adding entries for all your OSes, so that you hopefully get one neat menu that can boot any one you select on the spot.

Yeah it doesn't require Vista's bootloader to be primary in control, but doing it this way well leave with a 2-menu boot proccess everytime you want to load Windows or OS X. If you make Vista's bootloader primary, you should be able to use EasyBCD for adding entries for all your OSes, so that you hopefully get one neat menu that can boot any one you select on the spot.

Who's the one not supporting what he wants to do now?! :lol::tongueout::??:brows:

-Coolname007

Well, I have(had) windows booting automatically(after 3 seconds) anyways. I just press "ESC" to open grub menu.

That doesn't matter now...I have a problem. Apparently updating wasn't the source of my boot problem. I need the osx install disk loaded in order to boot it. I googled it and I need to make the partition active.
I tried using diskpart from the command line to set it to "ACTIVE" but I get the error "The specified partition type is not valid for this operation." The osx partition is logical currently.
One more partition problem to figure out...

Well, I have(had) windows booting automatically(after 3 seconds) anyways. I just press "ESC" to open grub menu.

That doesn't matter now...I have a problem. Apparently updating wasn't the source of my boot problem. I need the osx install disk loaded in order to boot it. I googled it and I need to make the partition active.
I tried using diskpart from the command line to set it to "ACTIVE" but I get the error "The specified partition type is not valid for this operation." The osx partition is logical currently.
One more partition problem to figure out...

Setting the OS X partition to "active" will make all your other OSes unbootable, unless you have "makeactive" lines in each entry in your Grub menu.lst to set each required partition to "active" when you select it from the Grub menu. :wink: You should be ale to use Gparted to set the OS X partition as "active", though I'm not sure if that would be possible since its a logical disk. You could try though. To tell the truth, I'm not sure how exactly EasyBCD handles OS X...I'm wondering if it might set the OS X partition to "active" automatically when selecting the Mac entry in the Win 7 boot menu.

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Back