Help!

Ok, so what you need to do first of all is burn the LiveCD .iso to a CD, with Imgburn, once you download it. Use the "Write image file to disk" option to ensure it gets burnt successfully as an image. Then, once you got your LiveCD, reboot, and enter the BIOS by pressing the key it tells you to (normally F2, Del, or similar) at the first splash screen you get to after your computer turns off, and then turns back on. Once you're in the BIOS, look around for an option called Boot Sequence, Boot Order, or something to that effect, and put your CD/DVD drive first, so it boots first instead of the HDD. Then insert the CD, save the changes, and exit the BIOS. It should now boot from the LiveCD. Once you get past the point where you select your langauge, you should get to a screen with options like "Try Ubuntu with no changes to my computer", "Install Ubuntu", and other such options. Select the "Try Ubuntu with no changes..." option and once you get to the Ubuntu desktop, navigate tor Places>Computer, and you should be able to see all of your partitions, and browse the contents. Then you can simply copy over the data from your partitions onto external storage, and you're done...unless you want to install Ubuntu of course. :wink:

Last edited:
I have tried 3 different brand new CD's now, and image burn say disk not empty and won't allow me to write to it! Don't tell me I have to download this again!?? I can see it, I just can't burn it!

Addendum:

Could I just copy it, or will that not work?

Last edited:
I have tried 3 different brand new CD's now, and image burn say disk not empty and won't allow me to write to it! Don't tell me I have to download this again!?? I can see it, I just can't burn it!
Please post a few screenshots of your situation, so we can tell what is going on exactly. ImgBurn has been used successfully time and time again by hundreds of people, while other burning programs sometimes fail. It sounds like you may have either:

a) Did not download the .iso correctly (if its a torrent, you will first need to download the torrent, and then use a torrent client to download the actual file)
b) Did not specify to burn the .iso as an image in ImgBurn
c) Or did not specify the correct file to burn (i.e. the LiveCD .iso)

See our wiki for detailed instructions:
Burning ISO Images with ImgBurn - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

EDIT: No, C&P will not work to burn the ISO to a CD. You need to use specialized software such as Imgburn to burn it correctly.

Last edited:
I didn't use torrent for this. This is what right side of IMG burn says, wont let me screenshot

ATAPI DVD A DH16A6S YA16 (ATA)
Current Profile: DVD+R
Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Sessions: 2
Sectors: 590,896
Size: 1,210,155,008 bytes
Time: 131:20:46 (MM:SS:FF)
Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x
TOC Information:
Session 1... (LBA: 0)
-> Track 01 (Mode 1, LBA: 0 - 590895)
-> LeadOut (LBA: 590896)
Disc Control Blocks Information:
ATAPI
Physical Format Information (ADIP):
Disc ID: CMC MAG-M01-00
Book Type: DVD+R
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,491,711
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0
Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: CMC MAG-M01-00
Book Type: DVD+R
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,491,711
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0
Performance (Write Speed):
Descriptor 1...
-> B0: 0x00, B1: 0x00, B2: 0x00, B3: 0x00
-> EL: 2295103 (0x0023053F)
-> RS: 22,160 KB/s (16x) - WS: 5,540 KB/s (4x)
Descriptor 2...
-> RS: 22,160 KB/s (16x) - WS: 8,310 KB/s (6x)
Descriptor 3...
-> RS: 22,160 KB/s (16x) - WS: 11,080 KB/s (8x)
Descriptor 4...
-> RS: 22,160 KB/s (16x) - WS: 16,620 KB/s (12x)
Descriptor 5...
-> RS: 22,160 KB/s (16x) - WS: 22,160 KB/s (16x)

Addendum:

I try to add to torrent and it says not enough space! (UGGHHHH) This computer I am on is only 2 months old, and has nothing on it!!!

Last edited:
I didn't use torrent for this. This is what right side of IMG burn says, wont let me screenshot
You can take the screenshot using the Prnt Scrn button on your keyboard. Then you simply paste it in MSPaint (Start>All Programs>Accessories>Paint), and save it in .jpg format. Then upload it to the forum here using the "Manage Attachments" button you see in the new post area after you scroll down, and post it.

Addendum:

Addendum:

I try to add to torrent and it says not enough space! (UGGHHHH) This computer I am on is only 2 months old, and has nothing on it!!!
I'm a little confused, and I can't make out exactly which stage you're at currently...
Some posts sound like you're currently downloading the LiveCD .iso, and other posts sound like you're trying to *burn* the ISO (so in order to do that, you will have, in theory, already finished downloading it)...and this post, it sounds like you downloaded just the torrent, and never got around to actually downloading the file. :brows: So which one is it?
You definitely need to post some screenshots of everything you're trying to do, so it is more clearer.

Cheers.

Jake

Last edited:
Back