HnS Error 12 problem

Charlie5

I'm trying to use HnS to solve the System Restore problem on my laptop. I've read quite a few post and have tried many fixes but I'm still back to ground zero.
My laptop is a HP dv6700t. Vista is installed on C:. I added Xp Pro on D:. Hp_Recovery is on E:.

I installed easyBCD and afterward installed HnS. When I boot, I get what I think is the HnS screen. It says GRUB4DOS 0.4.3, etc on the top of the screen. I get a choice of MS Vista or Xp to boot into. If I choose Xp, I get the following error message.
------------------------
Booting 'Windows XP [Hitachi Xp (D:\]'

(hd0,0)
(hd0,0) Hidden
(hd0,4)
Mapped (hd0) (hd0) OK
Mapped (hd0) (hd0) OK
(hd0,4)
makeactive

Error 12: Invalid device requested

Press any key to continue...
------------------------------

If I choose Vista, it goes to the BCD screen where I get the same two choices. If I choose Xp, a message flashes on the screen and the computer locks up. I'm including additional information.

menu.lst
-------------------------
# NeoSmart Technologies' Vista Hide 'n Seek Beta
# DO NOT MODIFY!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

timeout 5
default 0

title Microsoft Windows Vista
find --unhide /Vista.C.HnS
find --set-root /BOOTMGR.HNS
makeactive
chainloader /BOOTMGR.HNS
boot

title Windows XP [Hitachi Xp (D:\)]
find --hide /Vista.C.HnS
find --remap-root /XP.D.HnS
find --set-root /XP.D.HnS
makeactive
chainloader /ntldr
boot

# All your boot are belong to NeoSmart!
-------------------------

boot.ini
----------------------
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
---------------------------
Disk Management screen
Any help would be surely appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi Charlie, welcome to NST.

The "Disk management screen" isn't showing in your post - can you upload that screenshot again for us?

Terry, I read the post as you mentioned. Removing "makeactive" in menu.lst under title Windows Xp makes the Error 12 disappear, however, the computer locks up trying to boot into Windows Xp. Changing the Partition numbers in boot.ini.hns doesn't affect anything. The computer still locks up booting into Xp. I'll have to look into the consequences of changing my D:/, Win Xp, drive from being a logical partition. Thanks for your help.
.....Charlie

Charlie, Windows XP doesn't officially support booting from a logical drive; though it can be done, it's largely a hit-or-miss scenario.

You can use a tool like Acronis Disk Director to convert it from a logical partition to a primary partition without losing any data or settings.

I finally got back working on my System Restore problem as I've been away. I used Acronis Disk Director to convert my Xp partition from logical to primary. Then I re-installed HnS. Everything works, as before, except System Restore in Vista is still deleting all restore points whenever I use Xp. I'm attaching all information. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. menu.lst # NeoSmart Technologies' Vista Hide 'n Seek Beta # DO NOT MODIFY!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! timeout 10 default 0 title Microsoft Windows Vista find --unhide /Vista.C.HnS find --set-root /BOOTMGR.HNS makeactive chainloader /BOOTMGR.HNS boot title Windows XP [Hitachi Xp (D:\)] find --hide /Vista.C.HnS find --remap-root /XP.D.HnS find --set-root /XP.D.HnS makeactive chainloader /ntldr boot # All your boot are belong to NeoSmart! boot.ini.hns [boot loader] timeout=30 default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows [operating systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect Disk Management

Attachments

• Disk Management.jpg
    Disk Management.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Charlie, have you turned off system restore in Vista for the D and E partitions ?
Both XP and Vista (and previously ME) will default to putting restore folders on all partitions, but you only need them on any partition that the OS installs software on.
To prevent Vista system restore points being reset, you mustn't have any partition with a Vista restore folder being visible to XP (not just the OS itself).
Boot Vista and make sure that only C: is being monitored by system restore, and likewise in XP make sure that only D: is being monitored.
Without any overlap, you shouldn't lose any Vista restore points.

Charlie, can I bother you to either zip up menu.lst and add it as an attachment, or place the contents of the file between
Code:
 bb tags?

[color=red][b]Addendum:[/b][/color]

[quote="Terry60, post: 23081"]
To prevent Vista system restore points being reset, you mustn't have any partition with a Vista restore folder being visible to XP (not just the OS itself).
Boot Vista and make sure that only C: is being monitored by system restore, and likewise in XP make sure that only D: is being monitored.
Without any overlap, you shouldn't lose any Vista restore points.[/quote]

Terry, if XP wipes out the D: restore points, the ones for C: should be safe though, right?

Last edited:
I think if Vista sees "its" restore points on D: being reset, then the whole lot is duff because everything's chained.

I set System Restore for Vista for the C: drive only and Xp Pro for the D: drive only. I turned off System Restore for the HP_Recovery, E: drive, for both Vista and Xp. The problem still exists. After running Xp, when I boot into Vista, the Restore Points in Vista are deleted. The restore points in Xp are OK. Does anyone have any other suggestions. Thanks again, Charlie.

Attachments

• menu.lst.txt
    452 bytes · Views: 5
  • boot.ini.hns.txt
    211 bytes · Views: 5
Here's a question for you: is HnS hiding Vista from XP, or can you still see the Vista drive in the "My Computer" on Windows XP?

Is there a file called Vista.C.HnS on drive C:\ (that's assuming C: is the Vista drive, correct?)

Charlie, Do you have one boot menu or two ?
You're not letting HnS's boot menu default to Vista, then selecting XP from the Vista BCD menu by any chance ?
Just to make it clear, the hide Vista commands are issued when you select XP from HnS's menu.
When you select Vista from HnS, you should make sure that no second menu is presented by using EasyBCD to set the timeout in the second menu to 0, that way there's no possibility of booting XP from the Vista BCD (which will not do any hiding for you.)

Yes, Vista is on the C: drive and there is a file called Vista.C.Hns. However, the file size is listed as 0KB.

Addendum:

Initially, I had EasyBCD installed and had two boot menus. Later, I discovered I didn't need EasyBCD and uninstalled it. I started from scratch and only installed HnS. Now, I have only the one boot menu with Vista, the default boot, and Xp as the second option. I think I've tried every possible option with and without EasyBCD.

Last edited:
The file size should be 0. It's just a marker to allow the hide/unhide commands to identify the correct partitions.
Can you try a boot and when you get to the HnS menu screen, move the cursor to the XP option, but don't hit enter, instead type "e" to go into edit mode.
You should see listed all the commands which will be used to boot XP, first of which will be the command to hide Vista.C.HnS.
Can you jot down the commands there before you either enter "b" to continue booting into XP, or abort the boot if you want to protect Vista's restore points till we sort out what's not right.
The list of commands you see should be the XP section in your menu.lst.

Yes, when I enter the edit mode for Xp, the commands are as follows:
Code:
find --hide /Vista.C.HnS  
find --remap-root /XP.D.HnS  
find --set-root /XP.D.HnS  
makeactive  
chainloader /ntldr  
boot

They are the same as in the menu.lst file. Below is the heading, just in case it's any help.
Code:
GRUB4DOS 0.4.3 2008-06-24, 
Memory: 638K/3069M, 
CodeEnd: 0x41C28
Addendum:

For some reason, when I copy and paste to the forum, my lines are running continuous. Is there any way to turn this off or correct it. Thanks again for all your help. ..Charlie

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you copying from notepad ? If so try wordpad and see if it retains the formatting. That's what I use and it seems to work.
As to your actual problem - strange - everything appears to be working exactly as designed but the Vista partition stays visible ?
Does the hide command give an error message to indicate that it's failed ?

Back