HnS Error 12 problem

Can you please post a copy of the Disk Management page as it now stands - the one at the top of this thread is from when XP was still logical.

Interesting - looks spot-on to me.

What tool did you use to convert XP from logical to primary?

The way HnS works is by editing the MBR's partition table and setting the "hidden" flag (it's a bitwise value) to 1. The only time this would fail is if the MBR's partition table is non-standard (read: incorrect) due to improper partitioning.

I use a program called EditPad Lite. I never had a problem with it till now. I'll try Notepad or Wordpad. Now, back to the real problem. I don't get any error messages at all. I used Acronis Disk Director to convert the D: drive partition from logical to primary. Is there anyway I can check the MBR's partition table in the registry or elsewhere to see if the "hidden" flag is set to 1?

I just became aware of something and was wondering if this has anything to do with my problem. I found I had an Unallocated partition of 6.938 MB. It doesn't appear in Vista Disk Management, however, it appears in Acronis Disk Director. I'll include a snapshot of it.

Attachments

• Acronis Disk Mgt.jpg
    Acronis Disk Mgt.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 7
That would have everything to do with your problem... it means that you have a corrupt partition table, and as a result, certain methods of detecting drives and partitions (like that used in HnS and Vista) are failing while other, more thorough (and slower) ways work.

You'll need to get that sorted out for HnS to work.

I can use Acronis Disk Director to correct/change the corrupt partition. Do you have any suggestions as what to do with the partition? Thanks again for your help.

I really don't know if Disk Director can fix your problem - it's an valid partition table so it'll need to correct/repair the MBR records rather than a one-click thing....

The best way of doing it would be to back up your data to another drive, right-click the drive in Disk Director and "Clear" it (not format partitions, but "Clear" drive). Then re-create the partitions and restore your data.

A quicker but riskier alternative:
Clear the drive, then use the "Partition Recovery Wizard" that is in the menu of Disk Director to find and re-create the records for your partitions from scratch, and it should bring your data back. But if the recovery fails, your data would be gone.

Back