How to Add Windows 7 to Existing Win XP and Vista Setup

austin01

I am using Dual Boot Pro 1.0.

Windows XP on drive C: is the default boot OS.

Windows Vista on partition D is the second OS.

Both Drives C: and D: are partitions on one hard drive.

Drive E: on the same hard drive has almost 100 GB of free space.

I have a second internal hard drive F: with 200 GB of free space

How and where do I install Windows 7 on this machine?

In other words, I want to be able to triple boot Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. If possible, how do I do it?

Please be as detailed as necessary.

Please accept my humble thanks in advance for your advice.

For simplicity you'll want to install Win7 on the same drive. Boot from Windows 7's DVD choose the custom installation option, and select the free space for Windows 7's installation. The existing menu should be preserved, but if not get the latest build of EasyBCD from here and add the missing OSes on the Add New Entry page.

We don't say "C drive" a lot here.
Disk letters are just registry entries, unique to each OS, and variable both by system (re)configuration and user command. Using them to describe a particular partition or OS can be extremely confusing.
When Justin said "drive" he was referring to the last letter D of HDD, advising you to keep all the OSs on the same physical hard-disk.
There's no reason why you shouldn't put it exactly where you want it, where it's most convenient to you.
It might involve extra steps or considerations to be taken into account, but that's what we're here to help you with.
Say where you want it, and if it's going to be your main OS or just an occasional use testbed, and we'll tell you how to get what you want.
Outlining all the pros and cons of every possibility would be a very long post.

Last edited:
Back