How to delete Vista dualboot W7

Donbreezer

Hi
I was using vista and a couple of days ago I installed Windows 7 64-bit as dual boot on another partition. Everything works great but now I only want to use Windows 7. How do I delete vista now and make sure that my pc only starts from Windows 7.

What do I need to change with the boot.ini and stuff, can somebody give me a step by step guide pls ?

Thanks

Hi Don, welcome to NST.
There's no boot.ini for Vista or W7. That's exclusive to NT systems like XP.
What you need to do to remove Vista depends on which partition is "system". (where the boot files reside)
Take a look at the Disk Management display and find out which it is.
If W7 is the system disk, you can just format Vista out of existence and remove the Vista entry from the BCD.
Chances are though, that Vista is "system" because it was there already when you installed W7 and W7 added itself to Vista's BCD.
Post back if it is, and we can tell you how to repair the W7 boot to move it onto the W7 partition.

Hi,
ive got the same problem. I dual installed vista and 7 and now vista is the active partition.
the problem is further, that i dont have a dvd drive (Asus ulv30a).
id apreciate evry help i can get

Hi,
ive got the same problem. I dual installed vista and 7 and now vista is the active partition.
the problem is further, that i dont have a dvd drive (Asus ulv30a).
id apreciate evry help i can get
Hello Malkavian, welcome to NST.
Use Disk Management to change the "active" flag to W7's partition instead of Vista's.
Show hidden files and folders, and unhide protected sytem files/ in the Folder Options in the Control Panel.
Go to your Vista partition, find the hidden "boot" folder in the root of it, and move it to the root of the Vista partition (you will get a message saying the BCD can't be moved, or something similiar). That's ok...just move the rest of it.
Export the BCD (EasyBCD->Manage Bootloader->Export BCD, or other similiarly named option) to W7's partition, and move the hidden "bootmgr" file in the root of the Vista partition to there as well.
Use EasyBCD->Manage Bootloader->Repair the Vista bootloader->Write MBR to ensure the W7 partition has the boot code written to its bootsector. Next, simply reboot, verify everything works as intended, and if it does, you can then proceed to format the Vista partition.

Cheers.

Jake

EDIT: Oh, and be sure to use the latest build of Easy to perform the above operations. It has more full W7 support.

Last edited:
Wow

thanks for the fast reply.
but i forgott to tell that the w7 partition is not primary, does it matter?
Yes, you can't make a logical partition "active", and so consequently, you can't make it "system". :wink: If you want to change your system partition, you will need to first create a primary partition, and then follow the above steps on that partition.

So how do i make a partition on which an os is installed primary??

Edit: Without reinstalling the os?
Edit: or did you mean e create a new one and move the boot section therre??

Last edited:
So how do i make a partition on which an os is installed primary??

Edit: Without reinstalling the os?
There are 3rd party partition managers that can convert from logical to primary, but if I was you, and had enough space left in my Vista primary partition, I would just use Disk Management to shrink it, to get enough space to create another primary partition.

As I understand it, you are just trying to get rid of Vista, right?

There are 3rd party partition managers that can convert from logical to primary, but if I was you, and had enough space left in my Vista primary partition, I would just use Disk Management to shrink it, to get enough space to create another primary partition.

As I understand it, you are just trying to get rid of Vista, right?

yes but too keep win7 aswell

Hey sorry for late awnser was kinda busy. Ok so I found the BOOT map in my vista partition and now do I need to cut it to the w7 partition and do what then ?

Don, I said post back and we'd tell you how to do it.
Since posting that, Guru has produced a major update to EasyBCD 2.0.
Get build 67 and you should find the new automatic facility to do what you want.

No.

Diagnostics | Change Boot Drive

When I try that I get an error that says acces to the path C:\Boot\bcd is declined
If you press continue this error will be ignored if you press cancle the application will be shut down.

Is this normal ? When I check again what one is my active partition is still says the vista one.

What disk did you select from the pop-up?

How are you checking whether the active drive has been changed?

Back