How to recover Win 7 boot partition as secondary boot drive with Win 10 as primary

Geek Squad just installed a new SSD as Win 10 boot drive and made my former Win 7 drive as secondary. They gave me back my machine with former drive as D but disabled Win 7 as bootable. It was useless to argue because they maintained that Microsoft required they disable the Windows 7 on the D drive because I was getting Windows 10. The Windows 7 directory and files are still intact but there's no way to select the D drive as the bootable drive in BIOS. It is unclear to me how I use your software which I have purchased to restore the bootable partition on the D drive. Please advise where I can get this help.

I'll let @Terry60 suggest solutions toi "freeing up" the Win7 partition. Geek Squad failed to tell you that you can upgrade Win 7 to Win 10 for free and a Microsoft MVP Shawn Brink points that out here: Upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 for Free

Thanks for this reply. I should have made it clear that I wanted to have the second drive with the possibility of booting back into Win7 because we have one instance of software that needs that environment to run. I could go through the process (painful) to get it reinstalled in Win10 but it would be infinitely easier to simply boot back to Win 7 for the rare (but important) need I have for this software.

Ah OK. I think all you have to do is go in as an Admin into Disk Management and mark the Win 7 partition Active. It should also have a drive letter. Then EasyBCD should be able to see the Win 7 partition OK. @Terry60 is our expert so I'll defer to him on this.

All you should need to do is add an entry to the W10 BCD pointing to W7 on D
Adding Entries
and W10 boot manager should display a boot menu offering you the choice of systems.

Sorry, but I am too much a novice to "get" this. I don't know how to add a drive letter when none appear. I don't know how to "add and entry to the W10 BCD pointing to W7 on D...
Here are some photos of the screens I'm getting. Perhaps you can tell me which is the relevant screen and where I should start.

Attachments

• 20191030_085436_resized.jpg
    20191030_085436_resized.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20191030_085801_resized.jpg
    20191030_085801_resized.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20191030_085452_resized.jpg
    20191030_085452_resized.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20191030_085616_resized.jpg
    20191030_085616_resized.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20191030_085842_resized.jpg
    20191030_085842_resized.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20191030_085915_resized.jpg
    20191030_085915_resized.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 2
Read the link in my previous post.
It's the EasyBCD manual showing how to add an entry for W7 to W10's BCD
Why are you using gparted ?
Can you post a Disk Management screenshot showing the new SSD and the old HDD

Not using gparting...just exploring what I could find. And I'm sorry that I missed the link altogether. I have done more exploring and downloaded the Beta EasyBCD 2.3.1 to proceed. I am confused by what I don't understand here and won't move until I understand more.
1) The attached Overview in Display Mode shows a C and D drive with the D drive as default boot drive in Windows 10. There is no indication that the actual D drive on the computer is not bootable and also is my Windows 7 drive.
2) The Detailed mode shows C is Boot Loader and D is Boot Manager. So it appears we are dicussing partitions of a drive and not the drive letters. Anyway, I need to get this computer into more experienced hands if there isn't a manual that can show me how to proceed with confidence that I am not going to make things far worse. I will let the Geek Squad remote in unless you have a better idea.

Attachments

• Detailed.jpg
    Detailed.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Overview.jpg
    Overview.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1
Please post a Disk Management screenshot so I can see Windows view of your configuration.

Hi Terry,
Just after your last posting, I had a break by simply risking an "automatic fix" and voila, got the D drive to boot into Windows 7. I immediately let my accountant go to work and get his end-of-month things done which relieved his anxiety. Unfortunately, when the computer shut down, I have not been able to get it to reboot either to Win 10 or Win 7. I just get a new message that says "no operating system". As for Disk Management screenshots, I should have grabbed that when I was in Win 7 but was foolishly optimistic enough to consider my problems were over....
Now when I use the NeoSmart CD that used to allow me to boot up, I only get the dead end "no operating system" message.

Back