How to uninstall Internet Explorer 7 from Vista

zshore

Hey everybody, I use Firefox and prefer that as my default browser. However, even when Firefox asks me if I want it to be the default browser and I say "yes", Vista still uses IE7 as my default browser.

I tried to change it in the "Default Programs" tab in the Control Panel, but Firefox doesn't even show up! Opera does though .... I wonder why Firefox wouldn't show up? Good job keeping your strong rivals down Microsoft.

So I want to uninstall Internet Explorer 7 so I can finally have Firefox as my default browser.

Of course, it won't let you simply uninstall it from the "Uninstall Programs" menu, so does anybody have any idea how to do it?

Are you fully up to date with both Windows Updates and Firefox updates?

You can't remove IE7 as it's an integral part of Vista. Vista allows IE7 to relinquish control, but I guess you didn't check out Mozilla's website:

Mozilla Firefox's main page has this to say:

Windows Vista Support: Windows Vista is generally supported with the following caveats.

Windows & Windows Vista
If the browser is installed in a non-default location, software updates may fail. You can reinstall the software to the default location, or to a non-default location as long as the install folder is named "Mozilla Firefox". Alternatively, you can start Firefox by right-clicking on its icon and selecting "Run as administrator" from the menu.
When you launch the browser after it has downloaded a software update, you may get a dialog asking to permit "updater.exe" to run. If you do not allow this operation, the software update will fail.
Firefox can not yet be set as the default browser on Vista. See this bug for more information*.
When installing as a restricted-access user on a shared machine into a location that you can write to, there may still be negative side effects (default browser/other keys not being set correctly). When installing as a restricted access user do not attempt to install over an existing installation in a restricted-access/shared location as this may destroy that installation.
Firefox may hang when closing after viewing a PDF file in some older versions of the Adobe Acrobat Reader plug in. If you experience this, make sure you are using the newest version of the plug in.
The Update directory on Windows Vista is located under the user's directory, in AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Updates\.
Other known issues with Windows Vista can be found in the Vista tracking bug.

*Bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=352424

Firefox Main Page: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/2.0.0.1/releasenotes/#vista

As Ex_Brit said you cant jsut remove IE7 from Vista. It plays a more intimate part of the OS than IE did for XP. You cant try using VLite (which is like NLite for XP) and remove it from the setup but i can not guarentee that the isntall will be stable and easy to use.

I have had no problem using Opera as my Default browser. It set itself jsut fine. Have you tried using the Default Programs method? Go into the Defualt programs on the Start Menu and set Firefox there. See if that helps any.

Ex_Brit hit it though. Firefox has a bug that doesnt allow it to be set as default. I really wouldnt blame it on Vista. :crazy:

If you don't like IE7, Install Opera. It kicks Firefox's @$$ all the way to the moon - and it's fully Vista compliant :smile:

Wow. First time i didnt have to say it. That is nice. Another Opera fan is always good to have.

Computer Guru said:
If you don't like IE7, Install Opera. It kicks Firefox's @$$ all the way to the moon
OMG... I love FireFox, it is the BEST, maybe because i used it for years and its hard to switch to another thing... FireFox became my style, I can't live without it! :frowning: all the way to the moon, thats a long ride, so im going to kick the opera out all my friends computers and make them use FireFox :tongueout:oint: CG, you really made me angry whit that kicking FF to the moon :rage:

I also kinda hate IE and Opera... :tongueout:

I'm sorry, but Firefox has WAY too many bugs for my liking. And it's developers are way too stuffy. I report bugs, a hundred people verify, and the developers say "well, I'm not seeing this on my machine, so I'm closing this bug"

I never had that with Opera, or IE7. I contact the developers via email - I get a prompt response back asking for more info or detailing a fix.

I don't know, My firefox always works without bugs:tongueout: i mean i never seen BUG in FF, laoding all kinds of web pages, bookmarks are well organaized, what else i need... that would be all i guess, and that FF is doing really great :smile:

Is opera Free?

Hey guys, sorry it's been a while. Ex_Brit is right, I forgot to subscribe to the thread and failed to read any of the replies ... until now.

The issue at hand was that I had the Gmail Notifier program on my computer, and even though I set Firefox as my default browser, the Gmail Notifier would still use Internet Explorer as its default browser.

I don't remember how, but I fixed this and Gmail Notifier started using Firefox as my default, exactly how I wanted it.

But then I reformatted and reinstalled Vista, and now I'm having the same problem as before with Gmail Notifier using IE instead of Firefox. So I did a quick google search and, coincidentally, found this post which I had posted months ago, now complete with answers.

So if this is a bug in Firefox, when are they going to fix it? Surely there are enough Vista users for it to be a big deal to them if it can't be set as the default browser.

This bug has been fixed in the latest versions of Firefox. Make sure you have the latest version, and then run the "Default Programs and Applications" software from the Start Menu in Windows Vista and pick Firefox as your default browser.

Good to see you here again. Maybe you'll stick around this time, eh? :wink:

If you don't like IE7, Install Opera. It kicks Firefox's @$$ all the way to the moon - and it's fully Vista compliant :smile:
He comp_guru,
try out mozilla firefox 3 beta 3.
the best ever version released.
features include:
one click add to favourites
view page authors details and certificates with one click
other advanced features which opera and ie7 can only copy from firefox:tongueout:
firefox.jpg

Hi Delvin!

Yep, I've already DL'd FF Beta 3; it's quite nice.
I'm not a big fan of the "new" interface (too corny), but the features and speed are pretty impressive.

I still prefer Opera, but FF3 is shaping up to be a real nice browser!

I don't know, My firefox always works without bugs:tongueout: i mean i never seen BUG in FF, laoding all kinds of web pages, bookmarks are well organaized, what else i need... that would be all i guess, and that FF is doing really great :smile:

I also have never really had "Bugs" occur for me, and FF is my primary Browser, Has been for at least 4 years now ^_^ i love it :tongueout:

I also remember this thread, however it was started by myself ^_^

and i stuck around lol

ie.gif

Are you fully up to date with both Windows Updates and Firefox updates?

You can't remove IE7 as it's an integral part of Vista. Vista allows IE7 to relinquish control, but I guess you didn't check out Mozilla's website:

Mozilla Firefox's main page has this to say:

Windows Vista Support: Windows Vista is generally supported with the following caveats.

Windows & Windows Vista
If the browser is installed in a non-default location, software updates may fail. You can reinstall the software to the default location, or to a non-default location as long as the install folder is named "Mozilla Firefox". Alternatively, you can start Firefox by right-clicking on its icon and selecting "Run as administrator" from the menu.
When you launch the browser after it has downloaded a software update, you may get a dialog asking to permit "updater.exe" to run. If you do not allow this operation, the software update will fail.
Firefox can not yet be set as the default browser on Vista. See this bug for more information*.
When installing as a restricted-access user on a shared machine into a location that you can write to, there may still be negative side effects (default browser/other keys not being set correctly). When installing as a restricted access user do not attempt to install over an existing installation in a restricted-access/shared location as this may destroy that installation.
Firefox may hang when closing after viewing a PDF file in some older versions of the Adobe Acrobat Reader plug in. If you experience this, make sure you are using the newest version of the plug in.
The Update directory on Windows Vista is located under the user's directory, in AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Updates\.
Other known issues with Windows Vista can be found in the Vista tracking bug.

*Bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=352424

Firefox Main Page: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/2.0.0.1/releasenotes/#vista

But what if you uninstall Internet Explorer 7 and than use Mozilla Firefox to install Internet Explorer 6? Will that be alright? And how do you post a new topic or something on here?

Last edited:
Hi Erik10444, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

You can't remove IE7 from Vista. The only way to remove it is to upgrade to future versions since it is the default that ships with Vista. IE6 shipped by default with XP, but is no longer supported in Vista. This is the same as it was back in Windows 2000. It shipped with IE5 and could only be upgraded with IE6.

Last edited:
Back