How to uninstall Internet Explorer 7 from Vista

Erik,

Kairo is right. Vista only comes with IE7. There is no way to remove it. Even if you update to IE8B2 right now when you uninstall that you will be right back to IE7.

I dont even think IE6 can be installed on Vista. I do not think the install will recognize the OS to install.

Cheers,
Mak

And you can start a new thread by starting here, picking the relevant forum, then at the top left you'll see, just above the main panel "new thread".

Why would anyone even want to remove IE7 from Vista anyway? (If it were possible, which it isn't). Just stop using it, simple.

IE8 Beta 2 is still very buggy, I tried it in XP and Vista....chucked it out.

Why would anyone even want to remove IE7 from Vista anyway? (If it were possible, which it isn't). Just stop using it, simple.

I dont think it is buggy at all. I have had more crashes in Firefox 3 than i have in IE8B2. Which is something considering this is a brand new 12 hour old fresh install of Vista SP1.

It rendered some interfaces I use over at McAfee blank, even in IE7 compatibility mode, so will have to wait until it's final. I too prefer IE7 but FF3 is pretty good if one changes the skin.

I have a problem where IE7 blocks me from connecting to a shared access database (message saying cannot connect to an object outside the network). Removing IE7 sorts the problem for the XP machines in the workgroup.

Does anyone know of a way around it on vista?

Did you allow it on your trusted sites? Did you try to use a different browser? Did you try to turn down teh privacy settings?

Help!

I am having problems too and I am not sure what to do.

When I open a forum or a website IE7.0 has decided to NOT allow me to click, drag, and copy and paste anything anymore.

I get the hand instead of a cursor and I am getting annoyed beyond belief. I can't type to the end of this message and then move the mouse up and select up here to edit this line either. I have to use my arrow keys to climb line by line. When I DO try to click on the page it seems that the hand wants to act as a scroll bar and move the page up and down. I have checked my mouse defaults, reinstalled my wacom tablet software and restarted too many times to count today doing so! I noticed it when my Office 2007 trial version expired.

No one from MS will help me.

I can copy and paste in notepad (oooops they say then it MUST be my computer)
Gateway says that it is a program problem relative to MS. (IMAGINE!)

I have vista premium home edition 64 bit, and understand that I cannot uninstall 7.0. But why all of the sudden the change of being able to copy text and pasting it somewhere?

I googled and found that there was a DATA file that you should delete in the windows file, but messing with my registry bothers me.

Can anyone help? Please I am getting desperate.

Addendum:

Okay... I am a total nerd. I have done everything MS said to do, and tonight I tried what I wanted to do. I went into Internet Explorer tools and went to advanced. Reset to default and it is working for now.

Why the heck would it change on its own? I swear this computer is posessed!

Last edited:
This sounds like the same problem I described last week, which I eventually put down to Maxthon not being up to date. Now I have found a later build it has mostly disappeared, but I still notice the symptoms intermittently. Maxthon uses the IE7 engine, so it sounds like a recent IE7 patch is inducing this behaviour erratically. I don't think it has anything to do with Malware.

I have all the patches for IE7 and i have not had this issue occur with me. Which would have had to happen if it was a patch. That is why i did not think that a patch was at fault.

Maxathon may use the IE7 engine but that doesnt mean they use the same coding to have the engine render the same way. Just as Chrome uses WebKit like Safari yet they dont render sties teh same way.

That is why i leaned toward infection because i could not reproduce this effect with any tests of adding or removing any and all IE updates to date.

Just wanted to say I've seen this behavior on an XP SP3 machine with IE8 last week - seems you're not alone there, Terry.

I can't guarantee what's doing it because it's not 100% reproduceable, which is a necessary precondition for complete certainty, but I suspect a recent IE7 patch on purely circumstantial evidence.
It wouldn't convict in a court of law certainly, but occurrence in Max and IE7, and only in the last week or so gives me a Monkish inclination in that direction.

Back