I Need My Head Examining

Ex_Brit

Staff member
I just put down US $1000 on an antique clock on eBay. I really should never have got a computer, it's bad for me.....LOL. That was my holiday money, ah well, so much for the holiday.

It's not really an antique but is rare and dates from around 1960. An Atmos Perpetual Clock by Jaeger LeCoultre of Switzerland. It is powered by variations in air temperature and pressure and never needs winding. It's made of brass that has been gold plated, so very smart looking. The clocks are hand made and each one takes around 1 month from start to finish. New they cost between $3000 and $5000 so I would never own one if it weren't for the second hand market.

I've always wanted one.....what do I say?

atmos20good20top.jpg

Last edited:
There is nothing to say. You always wanted oe now you got one. Congrats. IT looks like a excellent clock. What a early fathers day present for you. :wink:

Thanks Mak, but there's only one problem there.....as far as I know I'm not a father.

Mind you, nothing would surprise me anymore.

It's my birthday soon and I usually splurge on something crazy around this time of the year. I'm the only person left in my life, so who better to spend the money on?

Who said you have to be a father to enjoy fathers day. :wink:

But any which way you want to look at it. Early BDay, late XMas, Valentine gift or just a flat out splurge for yourself. Any which way enjoy it.

I haven't got it yet but the seller has an excellent reputation so hopefully it will live up to its description/reputation etc.

Well it arrived and it works just fine. Considering it's around 40 years old it's in pretty good condition but the hands need cleaning up or replacing. I'll take it into the local Atmos place at the weekend..
I had to pay $218 to UPS on delivery - brokerage and tax....now the maintenance bill...I think I'd better start an austerity campaign immediately!

Last edited:
Mostly Customs Brokerage fees for the UPS Broker and sales tax. No actual customs duty was charged though. Items like old clocks & antiques need to clear customs both leaving the US and entering Canada although there may be no duty charged a broker still has to negotiate the process.

I just took the clock in to be cleaned, serviced and possible restored. I say possible restored, because that all depends on the cost estimate which the shop has yet to give me.

Last edited:
Can you say cha ching? Don't break the bank now!! :smile: I'd wait abit to recover from the initial shock of a big purchase before having it restored.

make sure he doesn;t scam you and switch them i heard alot of people have been scammed by having there precious time pieces switched

Thanks Mak, but there's only one problem there.....as far as I know I'm not a father.

Mind you, nothing would surprise me anymore.

It's my birthday soon and I usually splurge on something crazy around this time of the year. I'm the only person left in my life, so who better to spend the money on?

Happy birthday, Peter!!!!! :smile:

Thanks very much Mahmoud. I'll try not to get drunk. Actually I wont get that chance, I have a cable repair guy coming today - digital cable is on the fritz.

Back