I need NEOGrub help - booting Ubuntu and OS X

unkellsam

Hello,

I have a quad boot setup and I've been having trouble getting Ubuntu and OS X to boot together.

Adding Ubuntu using the regular boot option (without neogrub) in easybcd 2.0, I just get a black screen when I try to boot into it. I point the installation to where I installed the grub partition (same partition as the OS itself).

I also have OS X installed and it is booting fine through neogrub. When I try to add Ubuntu to the bootlist with the "grub isn't installed to the MBR/bootsector" checkbox, I get the following message:

"EasyBCD's Auto-GRUB feature requires the use of the NeoGrub module. It looks like NeoGrub is already installed, so EasyBCD can't continue.

To add a Linux entry, either manually install GRUB to the bootsector or uninstall NeoGrub and try again."

If I remove the OS X entry and let easybcd add ubuntu to neogrub, ubuntu works fine - the grub bootloader comes up and I can boot into it. So what do I do - apparently grub exists if neogrub is able to load it....

Here is what my menu.lst looks like:

# NeoSmart NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File
#
# This is the NeoGrub configuration file, and should be located at C:\NST\menu.lst
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries:
# EasyBCD Documentation Home - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

find --set-root --ignore-floppies /NST/nst_mac.efi
kernel /NST/nst_mac.efi
boot

# All your boot are belong to NeoSmart!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My second question is this: I have two Mac OS X installations - one I use as a backup since the first one took me over a week to finally install correctly. Adding OS X in EasyBCD only boots into one of them - the one marked MAC OS X in the picture below. How can I add the other installation to the list as well?

Here is my setup:

Thanks in advanced for your help!

Terry60

Knows where his towel is.
Staff member
Have you seen Guru's posts from yesterday ?
Build 65 has a number of improvements and fixes, and OSX is his No 1 priority for continued attention.
Have you tried 65 ? (can't remember offhand if it's relevant to your problem, but always worth using the latest build anyway)

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Add a new OS X - EFI entry in EasyBCD 2 Beta Build 65. At boot, you should be able to use that menu option to load both Linux or OS X during the beta stage.

unkellsam

Computer guru, the problem is when I try to add any entry including OS X in EFI that involves neogrub, I get that message:

"EasyBCD's Auto-GRUB feature requires the use of the NeoGrub module. It looks like NeoGrub is already installed, so EasyBCD can't continue.

To add a Linux entry, either manually install GRUB to the bootsector or uninstall NeoGrub and try again."

Terry, I will download build 65 and let you know if it makes a difference.

Addendum:

Build 65 still gave the same message. Any instructions on how I can add a linux entry to menu.nst.

Last edited:

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Go to the "NeoGrub" section of EasyBCD and uninstall it first.

unkellsam

I'm loving the graphical Chameleon bootloader that comes with build 65, but now neither Linux or OS X or OS X backup, or Windows XP for that matter will boot (through chameleon)!

Now both Linux and OS X give me black screens and then restart.

I tried booting Windows XP through Chameleon just to try it out and i get "NTLDR is missing".

How can I edit chameleon settings and get these to work. I would rather use Chameleon bootloader than longhorn, its very pretty.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
I'll be totally blunt: the bootloader shipping with Build 65 is wholly experimental and known to be broken. Full OS X support is forthcoming in future builds, and is our current number 1 priority.

unkellsam

Looking forward to it.

I changed menu.lst to what it used to be prior to build 65. Now again, i can boot into mac but not Linux - back to the original question.

Since build 65 did not solve my issue, do you have any other ideas? Maybe specifics on how to add the linux entry to neosmart?

I really don't understand why I get the black screen when I add a regular grub entry but I get the grub bootloader when I add it through neosmart. Could you please explain?

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
EasyBCD | Add/Remove | NeoGrub | Configure

Insert this at the top:

Code:
timeout 5
default 0

title Mac OS X
and at the bottom:

Code:
title Ubuntu
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /boot/grub/menu.lst
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
Then save and exit.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Beta 66 lets you add unlimited NeoGrub-based entries at once.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
You're most welcome, mate.

Did you add a Linux entry with Build 67?

Because the OS X support in build 67 is known to be still buggy (at best)... so I'm assuming you kept the 1.7.2 OS X entry and added a new Linux one with EasyBCD 2 beta?