I need NEOGrub help - booting Ubuntu and OS X

unkellsam

Hello,

I have a quad boot setup and I've been having trouble getting Ubuntu and OS X to boot together.

Adding Ubuntu using the regular boot option (without neogrub) in easybcd 2.0, I just get a black screen when I try to boot into it. I point the installation to where I installed the grub partition (same partition as the OS itself).

I also have OS X installed and it is booting fine through neogrub. When I try to add Ubuntu to the bootlist with the "grub isn't installed to the MBR/bootsector" checkbox, I get the following message:

"EasyBCD's Auto-GRUB feature requires the use of the NeoGrub module. It looks like NeoGrub is already installed, so EasyBCD can't continue.

To add a Linux entry, either manually install GRUB to the bootsector or uninstall NeoGrub and try again."

If I remove the OS X entry and let easybcd add ubuntu to neogrub, ubuntu works fine - the grub bootloader comes up and I can boot into it. So what do I do - apparently grub exists if neogrub is able to load it....

Here is what my menu.lst looks like:

# NeoSmart NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File
#
# This is the NeoGrub configuration file, and should be located at C:\NST\menu.lst
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries:
# EasyBCD Documentation Home - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

find --set-root --ignore-floppies /NST/nst_mac.efi
kernel /NST/nst_mac.efi
boot

# All your boot are belong to NeoSmart!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My second question is this: I have two Mac OS X installations - one I use as a backup since the first one took me over a week to finally install correctly. Adding OS X in EasyBCD only boots into one of them - the one marked MAC OS X in the picture below. How can I add the other installation to the list as well?

Here is my setup:

disksetup.gif

Thanks in advanced for your help!

Have you seen Guru's posts from yesterday ?
Build 65 has a number of improvements and fixes, and OSX is his No 1 priority for continued attention.
Have you tried 65 ? (can't remember offhand if it's relevant to your problem, but always worth using the latest build anyway)

Add a new OS X - EFI entry in EasyBCD 2 Beta Build 65. At boot, you should be able to use that menu option to load both Linux or OS X during the beta stage.

Computer guru, the problem is when I try to add any entry including OS X in EFI that involves neogrub, I get that message:

"EasyBCD's Auto-GRUB feature requires the use of the NeoGrub module. It looks like NeoGrub is already installed, so EasyBCD can't continue.

To add a Linux entry, either manually install GRUB to the bootsector or uninstall NeoGrub and try again."

Terry, I will download build 65 and let you know if it makes a difference.

Addendum:

Build 65 still gave the same message. Any instructions on how I can add a linux entry to menu.nst.

Last edited:
I'm loving the graphical Chameleon bootloader that comes with build 65, but now neither Linux or OS X or OS X backup, or Windows XP for that matter will boot (through chameleon)!

Now both Linux and OS X give me black screens and then restart.

I tried booting Windows XP through Chameleon just to try it out and i get "NTLDR is missing".

How can I edit chameleon settings and get these to work. I would rather use Chameleon bootloader than longhorn, its very pretty.

I'll be totally blunt: the bootloader shipping with Build 65 is wholly experimental and known to be broken. Full OS X support is forthcoming in future builds, and is our current number 1 priority.

Looking forward to it.

I changed menu.lst to what it used to be prior to build 65. Now again, i can boot into mac but not Linux - back to the original question.

Since build 65 did not solve my issue, do you have any other ideas? Maybe specifics on how to add the linux entry to neosmart?

I really don't understand why I get the black screen when I add a regular grub entry but I get the grub bootloader when I add it through neosmart. Could you please explain?

EasyBCD | Add/Remove | NeoGrub | Configure

Insert this at the top:

Code:
timeout 5
default 0

title Mac OS X

and at the bottom:

Code:
title Ubuntu
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /boot/grub/menu.lst
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

Then save and exit.

You're most welcome, mate.

Did you add a Linux entry with Build 67?

Because the OS X support in build 67 is known to be still buggy (at best)... so I'm assuming you kept the 1.7.2 OS X entry and added a new Linux one with EasyBCD 2 beta?

Back