I need to reinstall BOOTMGR

NickM

I accidentially overwrote my bootloader. I didn't screw up the settings, I removed the bootloader. I need to reinstall it, but it appears that that can only be done from within EasyBCD, and not from a command line. Is there either
A: a way to do it from the command line
B: a way to run EasyBCD from some sort of live CD
C: an alternative (bootloader on a CD, boot to windows, recover, etc?)

Any help that can be given is appreciated!

DId you boot the DVD, "repair your computer" "startup repair" three times ?
It needs several passes to recreate the whole set of boot files (only capable of doing one at a time !)

I haven't heard that before! Thanks, I'll try that.

Addendum:

It's not working. I'm getting the following message every time, even after 4 passes:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7100.0
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7100.0
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 28
Problem Signature 05: ExternalMedia
Problem Signature 06: 1
Problem Signature 07: MissingBootManager
OS Version: 6.1.7100.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Anyone get anything useful out of that?

EDIT: I just realized that I had to reboot between repairs. Do I just keep doing this until sig 04 reaches 0?

Last edited:
Try booting to the command prompt, type

Diskpart

lis vol

(make a note of the windows 7 volume letter)

exi

(assuming C is the Win7 partition), type

bcdboot c:\windows

bootsect /nt60 sys

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
i have a problem with my computer
i have installed the windows 7 and after that i compressed all the files now it's saying that bootmgr is compressed and i cannot turn on the computer can anyone help me

i have a problem with my computer
i have installed the windows 7 and after that i compressed all the files now it's saying that bootmgr is compressed and i cannot turn on the computer can anyone help me
You compressed all your OS's files?!! :wtf: Why in the world did you do that?
What type of compression did you use? It might be possible to uncompress them. If not, you'll need to reformat/reinstall.

I have a BootMGR problem also. Yesterday I activated my os tools partition using computer management thinking it would help me find my recovery partition. When I turned my computer on the nxt day I got and Bootmgr missing. So what I think is wrong is that I switched the disk around making the os tools C drive instead of d, and the C drive D drive instead of the normal C. I made the recovery disk from here it runs and everything, but when I select an previous date to restore to its just not working and I still get BOOTMGR missing. Is there away to switch the two using the command prompt cmd?

Last edited:
When you say you "activated" the os tools partition ( whatever that is ) - do you mean you marked it Active? If you selected it from a boot menu - that may well be what happened.

Bootmgr is missing often means the wrong partition is marked Active.

Use the command prompt on the Vista/7 dvd/Recovery cd to mark the Vista partition Active.

If you aren't sure how to do that, you can use this free bootable partition manager.

Partition Wizard Bootable CD allows user to boot computer directly to manage partition.

When you get to the bit asking about screen resolution - (see screenshots on d/l page), make sure NUM LOCK is on , type 1, press Enter.

In the main window, rt click the Vista partition , select Modify>Set as Active, OK , then click Apply.

Reboot and see if that did the trick.

Boot the Vista/7 dvd/recovery disc to the system recovery command promt.

Windows loading files - select language and keyboard- Next - you get a screen saying"Install Now" - DON'T click that.

At the bottom of the same screen , click "Repair My Computer".

It will search for installations, click Next, select Command prompt.

At the prompt, type ( press enter after each line)

diskpart

lis vol

( make a note of the letter for your Vista partition - I use C below - replace with letter for your Vista partition)

sel vol c

act

exi

restart the pc.

Hope it helps.

Wow I didn't even have to do all of that. I went to start up repair it ran and finished then my computer restarted on its on. As it was restarting I ejected the recovery disk,then my windows booted up. I was like, YEAH BUDDY! Thanks so much for your help though If I have anymore problems i'll be back! =]

*Edit/ Wait, now I have another problem. I was originally trying to reformat my laptop but didn't have a recovery partition. So how do I restore it or reformat another way?

Last edited:
Oh srry about that, I used Vista 32 bit version recovery disk. And I want to reformat my laptop, but I don't have an "recovery partition"( this is what the self restore says) even tho I still have an OS tools partition that has a boot folders and all the others files

Last edited:
Go to Folder Options, Show Hidden files and folders

Then take a screenshot of the contents of the os tools partition , and of the Disk Management window, and post them up here.

What is the make and model of the pc?

PartitionRecovery.jpg

OStool.jpg

The laptop I'm trying to reformat is a HP530 Notebook with Vista Business .

Back