which do u recomend

• daily new members

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • weekly new members

Votes: 3 60.0%

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
Nothing happened.

I haven't seen a compelling reason to add the features; but I'm keeping them in mind for the future. It's not difficult to do any of them, but if there is no benefit then it's an inefficient endeavor.

Addendum:

Please keep the discussion to its own thread. Thanks.

Last edited:
ahh okay but the benefit is to give a more excting angle to the website take zedge.com for example(phones) the second you open it'll, tell you the number of new users you feel like youre uing a reliable website
p.s. i made a new thread to draw your attentioin but dint worry wont do it again

On the subject of forum logistics, display etc.

We all see the time display in our chosen time zone from options. Is there any way that we could see each other's local time in a post ?

We're all so geographically spread out, that sometimes it's difficult to appreciate that the person you might be expecting to reply might have gone to bed, or lunch, or whatever.

Good idea Terry but it may not be possible due to two factors; some people are permanently "out to lunch"...LOL and I'm not so sure that a vBulletin board can do that. I know we can't do it over at McAfee.

On the subject of forum logistics, display etc.

We all see the time display in our chosen time zone from options. Is there any way that we could see each other's local time in a post ?

We're all so geographically spread out, that sometimes it's difficult to appreciate that the person you might be expecting to reply might have gone to bed, or lunch, or whatever.

Good idea! Happily this is one of the most widely and evenly geographically-dispersed forums I visit :smile:

I wonder where it would make more sense: on the profile page, or on the "in-line status" where post count, location, etc. are displayed?

Or perhaps when you hover over the location you see the local time?

Good idea Terry but it may not be possible due to two factors; some people are permanently "out to lunch"...LOL and I'm not so sure that a vBulletin board can do that. I know we can't do it over at McAfee.

True, vB can't do that by default; but nothing is impossible if you're willing to code it for yourself.

I remember when I ran my board on Invision we used to have a coding forum specially for tweaks such as that.
I introduced several similar tweaks and even a few to thwart one of my MODs who seemed to be entirely focussed on boosting her post count rather than be helpful, hence the reason I deleted the board eventually, just too much to handle.
But I digress......... :wink:

Post count means nothing to me really. I mean you can post all you want and it not mean a single thing. It isnt worth having 50,000 posts if they are all spam and junk. To me that doesnt equal 1 post of useful and helpful material to someone.

I mean i could say how i have broken 6,000 posts on several forums and i am working as a Mod at almost everysite i visit cause i try to be helpful. But really that doesnt matter as much to me either.

Knowing that my geekiness can help someone out and that my attention to trying to help somone out is all that matters. Like the IE8 testing. I have put up as many places as i can find about how IE8 truly is and how it isnt for the average person. Several have commented on how my review was spot on and how they have already removed thanks to my advice. that is what matter knowing that i can help people.

Being a Mod or Admin is just bonus. I try not to abuse the powers given to me. I try to work with everyone and get the stuff done right. The way it really should be.

Post count means nothing to me really. I mean you can post all you want and it not mean a single thing. It isnt worth having 50,000 posts if they are all spam and junk. To me that doesnt equal 1 post of useful and helpful material to someone.

I mean i could say how i have broken 6,000 posts on several forums and i am working as a Mod at almost everysite i visit cause i try to be helpful. But really that doesnt matter as much to me either.

Knowing that my geekiness can help someone out and that my attention to trying to help somone out is all that matters. Like the IE8 testing. I have put up as many places as i can find about how IE8 truly is and how it isnt for the average person. Several have commented on how my review was spot on and how they have already removed thanks to my advice. that is what matter knowing that i can help people.

Being a Mod or Admin is just bonus. I try not to abuse the powers given to me. I try to work with everyone and get the stuff done right. The way it really should be.

This ex-mod at my forum used to post 1 reply, then 3 or 4 more just to add a smiley or two, or a "LOL" or something equally stupid. So I gave up asking her to behave like a responsible person and inserted a tweak that prevented anyone, except myself of course, from double posting. Much like here where it merges the two posts, but in my forum it was more drastic, it flatly refused the extra post.
She bugged me so much about it I deleted the whole darn forum, after having sent an email to all members explaining exactly why.
It took several months before she spoke to me again....LOL

It is people like that who think that having a high post count demands respect. When actually it isnt about quantity it is about quality.

I mean i would not be anywhere near the position i am in even here if it wasnt for the fact that i am willing to try and help everyone. So yeah i get some posts but the helping is what should matter. Not how many times you can post.

doesn;t that exactly count as a useless post? but still i agree you ahve to have a reason not just garbage i will admit that at first i was trying to get the most posts possible but now im just going with the flow and asking and learning or teaching(rarely)

Useless post isn't judged by the length, but by the meaning and the intentions...

Personally, I don't think that was a useless post; but maybe that's just me.

Useless post isn't judged by the length, but by the meaning and the intentions...

Personally, I don't think that was a useless post; but maybe that's just me.
That is jsut as true as the quality over quantity remark i had made. If someone says Thank You to us should we not respond with a Your Welcome or No Problem post? Yes while only a couple of words it serves a very good purpose.

I mean few and far times between people do not say anything. They get the help and advice they need leave and never say thank you at all. Not that i care. But when people do acknowledge the fact that they were helped and say as such i will respond with a 1 or 2 word post to let them know that we got their message and we do appreciate it. If not well then everyone would stop saying thanks as they think it would fall on deaf ears.:wink:

I have seen 1 word posts or 1 emoticon posts that i think were more valid than posts like this that are paragraphs long. Just cause they fit into the context of the subject. But again this is all just my opinion.:joy:

Exactly. Don't over think it - if your base instinct is to reply with a kind "thank you" or "you're welcome" then there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

But if you have to think "should i make this post?" then it's most likely going to a be post for posting's sake more than anything else.

It's not like it's an exact science or something.... we're a friendly community, few rules, etc. goal isn't to get more posts, but like you said mak, just to have fun and help each other out.

yeah i understand that was sort of out of line sorry peter true i'm sure that there are plenty of wordds just like pictures that are worth a thousand

That's OK. By "Exactly" I was merely agreeing with the previous post. No need for additional text to do that.

yeah i understand that was sort of out of line sorry peter true i'm sure that there are plenty of wordds just like pictures that are worth a thousand
Hey we are a community to teach and learn from every member that posts. We each have our own opinion and views on things. That is what being a community is all about. To let people know our point of view while trying to understand their's at the same time. :smile:

that's true imagine living in a world were every one agreed with everyone else there is would be no color or taste to life it would be in white and black (why does that sound wrong while black and white sounds right)

Sorry to float the local time idea, then disappear without trace Guru, (explanatory rant for absence in another thread), but glad you like the idea.
How about March 10th, 2008 12:25 AM (7:25 PM local) in the post title line . Would that be a possibility ?
That way you could see if someone had asked a question in a post several hours before, just before bedtime their time, and would probably not be looking for an answer till morning; or whether there's a possibility they're sitting desperately waiting for a reply.

Back