In Market For New Monitor - Opinions?

Ex_Brit

Staff member
Guys, I need your opinions....which one of these is the best?
Reputation says Samsung but the features of the Viewsonic say that it's superior in performance.
Samsung 226BW....
226BW.jpg

Model
Brand SAMSUNG
Model 226BW
Cabinet Color Black
Display
Screen Size 22"
Widescreen Yes
Recommended Resolution 1680 x 1050
Viewing Angle 160°(H) / 160°(V)
Brightness 300 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio 700:1(DC 3000:1)
Response Time 2 ms (GTG)
Display Type WSXGA+
Connectivity
Input Video Compatibility Analog RGB, Digital
Connectors D-Sub, DVI-D
D-Sub 1
DVI DVI(HDCP)
HDMI No
Power
Power Consumption 55 Watt
Convenience
Stand Adjustments Swivel & Tilt
Built in TV Tuner No
Built in Speakers No
Features Plug and Play: DDC 2B
MagicBright3, High Glossy Black
Windows Vista Certified for Windows Vista
Dimensions
Dimensions (W×H×D) 20.3" x 16.6" x 8.6"
Weight 10.8 lbs.
Manufacturer Warranty
Parts 3 years limited
Labor 3 years limited

Viewsonic VX2240W....
24-116-096-06.jpg

Model
Brand ViewSonic
Series X Series
Model VX2240W
Cabinet Color Black-Silver
Display
Screen Size 22"
Widescreen Yes
Recommended Resolution 1680 x 1050
Viewing Angle 170°(H) / 160°(V)
Brightness 300 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio DC 4000:1 (1000:1)
Response Time 2ms(GTG)
Horizontal Refresh Rate 24kHz~82kHz
Vertical Refresh Rate 50Hz~75Hz
Panel Active Matrix, TFT LCD
Display Type WSXGA+
Connectivity
Input Video Compatibility Analog RGB, Digital
Connectors D-Sub, DVI-D
D-Sub 1
DVI 1(with HDCP)
HDMI No
Power
Complies with Meets TCO'03 and ENERGY STAR standards
Power Supply AC 100–240V, 50–60Hz (auto switch)
Power Consumption 38W (typ)
Convenience
User Controls Basic: Power, 1, down, up, 2
OnView: Auto image adjust, brightness, contrast, input select (analog, digital), ViewMatch color adjust (sRGB, 9300K,7500K, 6500K-default, 5400K, user color-RGB),information (resolution, H. frequency, V. frequency, pixelclock, model number, serial number), manual imageadjust (H. size, H. position, V. position, fi ne tune,sharpness, dynamic contrast, aspect ratio, responsetime), setup menu (language, resolution notice, OSDposition, OSD timeout, OSD background), memory recall
Regulatory Approvals UL, cUL, FCC-B, CB, CE, NOM, NEMKO/GS (covers TUV/GS), NEMKO ERGO (covers TUV/ERGO, ISO 13406-2 & MPR II), TCO'03, GOST-R + 20 original copies hygienic, SASO, PCBC, VCCI, BSMI, CCC, PSB, C-TICK, Argentina-S, Green Mark, RoHS, EPEAT-Silver
Stand Adjustments Tilt
Built in TV Tuner No
Built in Speakers No
Features Panel Surface: Anti-glare
Windows Vista Certified for Windows Vista
Dimensions
Dimensions (W×H×D) 20.1" x 17.0" x 8.8"
Weight 11.0 lbs.
Temperature Range 32–104°F (0–40°C)
Humidity Range 10–90% (non-condensing)
Manufacturer Warranty
Parts 3 years limited
Labor 3 years limited

ViewSonic has always been the best for true color representation and brightness - they're pretty reliable too...

Is there a major price difference?

I can get either one for around CDN $290. The Viewsonic also beats Samsung in contrast ratio, power consumption and viewing angle.

Last edited:
IMHO you should go for the ViewSonic. I have a 7 year old 17" CRT from ViewSonic, and it's still awesome.

I think I will, I've found a place locally that sells it for $289 which is about as cheap as I can find it anywhere.

My old 17" Samsung is OK but the extra screen space will help my eyesight...or so I hope. Plus the response time on the current one is a little slow.

Addendum:

Well I just bought the Viewsonic. I got a better deal online even including delivery than I did by going into the same outfit's store would you believe? It not only was cheaper to start with but, thanks to a discount they were offering for bank debit payment as against credit card, I got a further 3% off which paid for the shipping.

Last edited:
I have been looking as well. Even though with the move coming up i will not see any new parts in another few years....

I am partial to Samsung. My LCD has been great to me. ViewSonic is good also. Conrats Peter. Hope you enjoy it.

I just hope I picked right. I've always used Samsung until now. They do have a satisfaction guaranteed or else.... type clause, so I can always swap it I suppose.

I've mentioned before, some time ago, in another thread, the TV program "The Gadget Show". They did a piece a couple of series ago, on a tour of the LG LCD factory. They were chiefly interested in showing future technology "the house of the future" type stuff, but the thing that stuck in my mind, was a statement that no matter what brand of LCD TV or monitor you own - the actual LCD glass bit was probably built there in that factory, since they acted as suppliers for just about everybody else !
That's one of the reasons I ended up buying the LG Flatron L225 when I upgraded last year - my one little extravagance in a list of otherwise cutting edge minus 1 generation components.
Device : 22" Wide TFT LCD Screen Brightness : 300cd/m2 Contrast Ratio : 5000:1 Viewing Angle : 170/170 (Horizontal/Vertial) Response Time : 5ms Resolution : 1680 x 1050 Supported Colours : 16.7M Colours Pixel Pitch : 0.258(H) × 0.258(V) mm Horizontal Frequency : 30 ~ 83 KHz Vertical Frequency : 56 ~ 75 Hz Input Signal : Analog Signal / Digital Signal (DVI) Input Ports : RGB Port (15 Pin D-Sub)/ DVI-D Port Power Type : LIPS (LCD Integrated Power Supply) Normal Power Consumption : Less than 45W Suspend/Standby : Less than 1W Power off mode : Less than 1W Special Feature : Tilt Only: + 5 / -25 Safety Certification : UL,cUL,TUV-GS,SEMCO EMC Certification : FCC-B,CE Low Radiation Certification : TCO-03 Power Saving Certification : EPA Energy Star Wall Mount Type : VESA Dimension : 501.7 x 233.9 x 423.5mm Set Dimension : 571 x 235 x 415mm Box Weight : 5.65 Kg Set Weight : 6.4 Kg Box

1100002176_1200628385729_l.jpg

Last edited:
That model isn't sold here I don't think. Mine beats that in the response time but it's better in other areas.

Congrets, Peter. I don't think you'd make a wrong choice with any model, including the one you picked, its generally new technology, pretty good.

I'm still happy with my Samsung SyncMaster 920NW 8 months old. :smile:

Well it arrived. WOW:brows::tongueout:oint::booyah:, is it going to take some getting used to!! It's huge. I opted to use the DVI digital connection rather than the D-Sub analogue and I notice that by using that option auto-image adjust isn't possible but so far I think everything is as it should be.
Had to adjust the resolution up to 1680 X 1050 of course.
It is very bright by comparison so will have to make adjustments for a while.
When I registered I got an email offering extended warranty, including express (48 hr max.) exchange, environmental disposal etc. for 2 years beyond the normal warranty of 3 yrs. for US $77.
Not sure it's worth it, but I have to decide within 90 days.
I'll fault Viewsonic for only one thing, no software like Samsung's Magictune for semi-automatic adjustment - just the buttons on the bottom or use nVidia's control panel.
Maybe if I used the analogue connection things would be different, but I thought digital was supposed to be the best?

Last edited:
I would get it just in case you get a dead pixel or something. It will be worth it if something happens. I mean it is 3 years of coverage.

Not sure about Canadian consumer law Peter, but in England a definite no to extended warranties. They're basically a money making scam for the retailer. Modern electronics are so much more reliable than the old technology (calling a TV repair man 2 or 3 times a year - who does that any more !), that it's you opting to pay over the sticker price voluntarily.
In England consumer law says that something must be of "merchantable quality" and "fit for its purpose", and something that breaks after 367 days falls foul of the first provision and probably the second too.
If you've received a dodgy screen, that slipped past QC, you'll know about it well within your warranty period, and if it makes it through the first month without showing a fault, you'll probably be passing it on to the lodger because it's too small long before it ceases to function through old age.
Looking at the premium, it's over 25% of the sticker price, meaning that you're gambling on the probability that 1 in 4 of all that manufacturers products will fail within 3 years. If that were true, they'd have ceased trading years ago. That's why the retailer wants you to buy the insurance, he's charging 1 in 4 rates against a 1 in thousands long-shot.
ADD
actually it's worse than I thought, I've just reread your post and noticed it's a 3 year to 5 year extension. You'll probably be upgrading to another newer technology in that time-scale anyway !

Last edited:
Well Terry, I appreciate your advice and you're probably right, but I took the darn thing before reading your comments.
I think it was the guaranteed 48 hour maximum swap time if anything goes wrong that sold it for me.
Canadian law is more in line with US law on exteneded warranties so pretty lax to say the least.
I noticed when applying for it that it applied to US and Canada only.
I'm afraid, in my case, there's one born every minute...LOL.

Just to try it out, I just swapped connections from DVI to D-Sub (analogue) and for some unknown reason things, especially text, look better...wonder why that is?

It's age Peter. You have analogue eyes.
But at least you have colour, our poor parents had to live in a B&W world.

LOL...you are probably right. Before TV was reintroduced in the UK (B/W then eventually colour) my only experience with colour media was the Saturday Morning Matinee & Life Magazine.

So should I stick with DVI?

It's a bit late now but I'm wishing I'd picked the Samsung 226BW. It was the same price and at least all Samsung Monitors come with LCD Calibration software as well as the drivers.

Back