Interesting Error [IE8, Firefox]

Sarge

Distinguished Member
System Details:
Windows XP and Windows Vista dual boot.

Events before this happened:
- I used Windows XP, and had some trouble with viruses, cleaned the viruses using: NOD32, MalwareBytes.
- Turned off PC.
- Turned on PC, booted into Vista. Even if Im connected to wireless network I can't get internet working, even though the other computer right next to me works with that network and has no problems with the inetrnet.
- I boot into XP, same problem.
- I remove NOD32 and install Iolo System Shiled 3 (Antivirus, malware, firewall) and internet still doesnt work.
- I reboot into Vista - internet works! on vista I install Spyware terminator and update it and don't scan the HDD.
- I go to XP, and try to run firefox, I get the errors below, if I try IE8, I get the error below.

I don't know why or what happened, if anyone has an opinion on this, please state it :smile:

Also, now when XP shuts down it comes up with the similar error during the shut down just instead firefox.exe it says something_service_something.exe

Attachments

• firefox.JPG
    firefox.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 7
  • IE.JPG
    IE.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 7
Looks like either the viruses you had on there, and removed, screwed with your memory, or screwed with the machine code of FF and IE pointing at certain memory addresses, to point somewhere non-acessible.

Try reinstalling FF?

Last edited:
Use Bookmarks>Organize Bookmarks>Import and Backup to backup your bookmarks, reinstall FF, and then use the same thing to import the backup. Your bookmarks will be restored.

Last edited:
Haha, very interesting solution, you just forgot one thing, FF won't run at all, all I get is the error in the first post and nothing else.

Right...Duh. :smile:
I forgot about that small detail.

Ok, how about instead backing up the bookmarksbackups folder then, and after you reinstall FF, importing the latest backup in that folder into FF. That should at least save most of your bookmarks.

Even if I do that, I don't think it will solve much because, while IE and FF are dead, opera and Safari are working, and they can't get the internet, even if I'm connected to the wireless network who works perfectly for other computers and for vista on the same computer. And thats only aside problem, since during the shut down there are some errors popping up. Yeah.. :ldown:

You can browse to the folder containing your bookmarks in explorer too and back it up that way if you can't access firefox.

What exactly happens when you try to get on the internet using Opera?
Just goes to an error page?

Yes i get 404 instead the access point's hotspot.

And, thanks to poster above, i'd like to imagine there was something like that, i will try that.

And, thanks to poster above, i'd like to imagine there was something like that, i will try that.
You don't need to just imagine it, because its there. I didn't tell you the directory of the "bookmarkbackups" folder before, because I assumed you would use the Search feature in Window to find it (its not difficult).

The directory location is:

X:/Documents and Settings/YOURUSERNAME/Application Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/RANDOMNAME.default/bookmarkbackups

where "X" is replaced with the correct drive letter of your OS installation's partition. Just backup that folder to some other location on your HDD, reinstall FF, and then import the most recent backup in the folder using the Import and Backup feature I already mentioned above.

404 generally means that the client was able to communicate with the server, but the server could not find what was requested. No telling what else your viruses screwed up...

Last edited:
404 generally means that the client was able to communicate with the server, but the server could not find what was requested. No telling what else your viruses screwed up...

Yes, and for example, a virus or whatever can set your firewall to not let anything in or out, that could cause the problem similar to mine but thats not the case this time, although I had it in the past, who would've said that NOD32, and MalwareBytes was not enough to fix that, Spyware terminator who is free did the trick in that case.

Thanks for the exact directory where the bookmarks are :smile:

I think this my install of Windows XP is.. done, It's very used and been attacked many times by viruses and whatnot, I think its old enough for a reinstall. I knew that day would eventually come so.. thanks guys :smile:

Last edited:
Back