iReboot Beta

jedd999

(Editor's Note)
Download iReboot now!!

Well, I set up my entire complicated Vista, XP, DOS, Linux quadruple boot system, and now I am being told that running easyBCD every time we need to change the default bootloader "is too complicated"

SO, I was wondering how / if I can just make a small program (or a few small programs) in BOTH XP AND VISTA that will allow me to just click on the icon, and it will change the default boot in the BCD to whatever the icon is...

i.e. if the icon says XP, it will make the default boot XP, and if the icon says Vista then the default boot will be made to Vista. I dont think that this should be too hard in Vista, but in XP...? ALso, some help with the commands to include in the program would be appreciated!

I dont have linux in there right now, but currently my BCD Reads:
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device partition=D:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default {466f5a88-0af2-4f76-9038-095b170dc21c}
displayorder {e9d2b4dc-3382-11dc-b155-8641cba891ba}
{466f5a88-0af2-4f76-9038-095b170dc21c}
toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout 25

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {e9d2b4dc-3382-11dc-b155-8641cba891ba}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Microsoft Windows Vista
locale en-US
inherit {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {e9d2b4dd-3382-11dc-b155-8641cba891ba}
nx OptIn

Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------
identifier {466f5a88-0af2-4f76-9038-095b170dc21c}
device partition=D:
path \ntldr
description Microsoft Windows XP

I guess it could also be one MFC C++ application that prompts the user to select the default OS and prompts with the time, but I would prefer to do things a little bit easier than that, because its been a while since I played around with MFC.

- Jeff

Last edited:
Hi Jeff,

You'll be pleased to know we're already working on this :grinning:

Do you have an ETA on this? It doesnt seem something thats hard to do (in Vista it could probably just be done through a batch file) but I dont know how to edit the Vista Bootloader through XP, and that is where my problem comes up...

We're looking into something a little more... substantial than a batch script. Say a taskbar icon or something.

As far as ETA goes.... How does a beta within the first 24 hours sound? :grinning:

Well, it's done :grinning:

I've attached an image of it in action. It's the little, blue police-officer cap in the task bar. That's the menu you get when you right-click it.

Just need to add a couple of finishing touches before I release, but now it's time for bed :smile:

(oh, and it's been christianed iReboot :smile:)

Attachments

• iReboot.png
    iReboot.png
    123.2 KB · Views: 18
iReboot 1.0.0!

OK, it's done. It sits in the taskbar (taking up a meager 450kb of memory!) and runs on Windows NT+ (w/ .NET 2.0 installed).

I've attached to this post. If it works ok, I'll publish the release ASAP.

Hope it does the trick! :smile:

Attachments

• iReboot Setup.exe
    203.5 KB · Views: 14
OK, it's done. It sits in the taskbar (taking up a meager 450kb of memory!) and runs on Windows NT+ (w/ .NET 2.0 installed).

I've attached to this post. If it works ok, I'll publish the release ASAP.

Hope it does the trick! :smile:

Awesome,

I just screwed up my drive by accident, but once thats up and running again, I will give this a try and let you know how it is :smile:

- Jeff

I just ran this from both XP Pro and Vista Ultimate. It works beautifully. No bugs or anything i can see. I right clicked checked the reboot on selectiona dn then made my selection. The PC Shutdown quickly and rebooted into the OS of choice.

Great work Guru. I would think this can be another great release from NeoSmart Tech.

Glad to hear it :smile:

As an added bonus, it'll save your choice for whether to reboot on selection or not the next time you restart :smile:

That is great. Small resource use, ability to reboot on the fly, remembers selection. What more can you ask for. Just make sure Apple doesnt get mad at you fir using their "i" theme. :wink:

That is a good line of thought. But Apple wont see it that way. I have seen them sue over hte use of the term "pod". So it wouldnt take them much to sue over the "i" either.

Personally, i think you should call it i,reboot. Kinda like i,robot movie. Escapes the whole lawsuit thing as well. :wink:

That sounds good... but it would destroy the SEO :frowning:

There're lots of non-Apple iSomethings out there, I think it's fairly safe... (even the other MP3 player, the iRiver).

Back