iReboot sticks to a selected OS

And if its the boot menu that is the problem, not the timeout setting, do this:

Open up EasyBCD's Power Console which can be found on the "Useful Utilities" page

Type in (and press Enter after) the following command:

bcdedit.exe /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes

This will cause the boot menu to display regardless of how many entries there are in the boot menu.

First of all, thanks for the very fast replies.

Let me explain with a bit more details my problem.

Like I said, I got a 3ple boot system.

On BCD it shows something like this:

41175948.jpg

At first when I booted/rebooted my PC I got the 30 sec timeout with my 3 OS to choose witch one to run.

Then I installed ireboot.

Lets say I am loged with XP, I install ireboot, and choose to reboot to Vista.
The PC will reboot and will start running Vista, without the 30 sec delay screen with all 3 OS to choose.

If I want to change to W7, I have to do it with ireboot.

This becomes a problem, when you use all 3 OS, and when you shut down your PC.
For example:

If the PC is off, and the last OS that I was using was W7, then next time I will turn the PC on, it will boot on W7 and there is nothing I can do to change it.
If I want to use XP at that particular moment, I will have to boot the PC 2 times.
1 time to log on W7 and one more to boot with XP using ireboot.

I tried to change that, and uninstall ireboot. but I can't.
Because if I uninstall it on windows XP, and I reboot, then my PC will boot only in XP. And the only way to change OS is to install ireboot again.

Is there a way to get rid of ireboot? And go back to the 3 options with the 30 sec timeout when I boot the PC?

PS: I tried the "bcdedit.exe /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes" command, didn't solve the problem.

QQ

Last edited:
That is the behavior of iReboot, by design, I'm afraid. If you want to go back to using only EasyBCD, here is what you can do:

• Boot into XP.
  • Reboot, and it should boot into XP again, with no choice to pick any options.
  • Uninstall iReboot in XP.
  • Reboot (without using iReboot), pick Vista at the boot menu.
  • Uninstall iReboot in Vista.
  • Reboot again (without using iReboot), pick W7 at the boot menu.
  • Uninstall iReboot in Win 7.
  • Now your boot setup should be back to what it was before using iReboot
But, really, I don't see what the problem is...

You want to have the choice to pick the OS at the boot menu, then don't use iReboot that particular time to reboot from whatever OS you are in (you will need to have iReboot installed in all 3 to make the best use of it). If you want to use iReboot to reboot into another OS, then do so with the realization that you will boot again into that OS (no questions asked), and in order to break the loop, you will need to reboot again *normally* (unless you use iReboot to boot into the other OS). :grinning:

Why is that a problem? :??

I can't do that.

• Boot into XP.
  • Reboot, and it should boot into XP again, with no choice to pick any options.
  • Uninstall iReboot in XP.
  • Reboot (without using iReboot), pick Vista at the boot menu.
  • -----Chain broken. Can't continue. The PC keeps booting in XP. No options.
Is there another way to uninstal the effects? Not just the program, the effects of the program. :S

Last edited:
Is there another way to uninstal the effects? Not the program, the effects of the program. :S
Nope. :?? Afraid not...
You're forced now to use XP for everthing, and forget about Vista and Win 7.
J/K
:grinning:

Actually, I think there is a way, and it involves modifying 3 thousand lines of code...are you up to it? :?? Ok, sorry...it was a joke again.
Seriously, though, the effects should not be sticking at all, if you reboot normally, from what I understand of iReboot...
Are you sure you're using Start>Turn off Computer>Restart, and not doing the rebooting from iReboot?

How many times did you try it?

Ok, so how about this:

From XP, install iReboot again, and then use it to reboot into Vista. Now, from Vista, try to reboot into Win 7 from Vista? Does that help, or does it still boot into XP (or the last OS to be booted into), even if you reboot normally?

EDIT: Ok, I see now what's happening...
CG explained it earlier in this thread, but I have forgot since then, and did not re-read the thread this time around.

Have you tried this:

You can use iReboot with the start menu - but you have to first select the OS from the iReboot menu with the "reboot automatically" option disabled.

Last edited:
I did it with 2 ways.

A) the way you suggested. And not worked. After 5 reboots (start -> turn off computer -> restart) I gave up.

B)
  • Boon on XP
  • Enable the option to boot on Vista on ireboot, but not reboot.
  • Uninstall ireboot on XP.
  • Restart the PC.

At this point the PC will restart and boot with Vista (no other options)
  • Enable the option to boot on W7 on ireboot, but not reboot.
  • Uninstall ireboot on Vista.
  • Restart the PC.

Now the PC will boot with W7, without any other option.
  • Uninstall ireboot from W7.
  • Turn off the PC.
Now the PC is stuck with W7. 3 Reboots later and the PC is still booting with W7, without any other options.

Still the only way to change OS is ireboot. I want to get rid of it. Still looking for help.

I'll do sex favors.... QQ

Sorry...what can I say, you're stuck now with using iReboot! :??:tongueout::brows::lol::evil:
Once you start using it, there is no way to get rid of it! :joy: LOL...

But, seriously though, I think there has got to be a setting in iReboot that one can change, to avoid that behavior. Otherwise, it may be a bug...
I would look myself, but I am in XP right now, and unable to use EasyBCD from there (I have a quad boot with Vista, Win 7, XP, and Ubuntu), since I hid Vista's partition (which happened to be "system" which means it was holding the BCD) to protect Vista's system restore points from XP. Without the BCD being visible to EasyBCD, it will simply refuse to open (I think, by design), and so consequently, I cannot use EasyBCD at all on my system from XP.

I don't use iReboot, since I use the 3rd party boot manager mentioned earlier in this thread, which means Vista's bootloader is not in charge of the boot. Fortunately, though, there is a similar app (called BootNow) to complement the 3rd party boot manager that I have, that will allow rebooting into other OSes on the computer, by a simple double-click on an icon on the desktop, which effects will only last one time, after which I get the normal menu when I boot.

But, I know that doesn't help your situation any...

But check out the settings in iReboot. :wink: There has got to be one that will change this behavior, and at least allow normal boots (i.e. with the BCD menu).

Last edited:
Maybe I wasnt clear enough. If you use iReboot to reboot into another Windows OS where iReboot isn't installed than iReboot's changes to the boot loader remain, even if you reboot the computer normally. In order to remove iReboot's changes on the boot loader automatically, you must have iReboot installed in both the OS you used iReboot from as well as the OS you've instructed iReboot to setup to have the computer reboot into.

Ok, an example reset.bat you can use from your system if iReboots messed you up. You'll need to run it as an administrator:

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} timeout 10
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes

This well force the boot menu to display and give you 10 seconds to select the entry you want to boot into.

The things you instracted me to do didn't help.

When I used
"bcdedit /set {bootmgr} timeout 10
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes"

the bootloader changed, but the changes still didn't bypass ireboot.

The problem is now fixed though.
With the Windows XP disk, I started with the CD cmd, and used "bootfix" or "Bootrepair" command.
This deleted the previous mdr, and the PC booted with XP cause that was the only thing it could see.
Then I booted from the windows 7 disk, and when the W7 setup was scanning the system it detected the abnormality of the mdr, repaired it and rebooted. This was the first time I saw the actual boot screen with Vista, and W7 options (didn't recognise XP), and when I booted in W7 with EasyBCD I edited the mdr and made a new entry for XP.

Now everything is workind as it should be. At last ireboot is off the system.

From my expirience ireboot is a nice program, and very usefull but the fact that the PC remembers ireboot commands and ignores the bootloader is a killer.

If you install it on all systems, and set the options in the configuration file to do what you want, you should have absolute control of how your system boots at all times.
It's a tool to give you extra options not available normally, not something designed to take control away from you.

Back