Lost Boot Directory?

pewe

I had a drive running Win 8 - 64bit.
I wanted to upgrade to 8.1-64bit but with a clean install.
As I also wanted a 32bit version for running a particular program I partitioned a 1TB drive in two and proceeded to install the two new OS.
On completion installed EasyBCD on the new 64bit 8.1 drive an set the 3 different boot items.

This worked for a few boot ups into any of the OS then suddenly when I try to boot into the original drive I find I can't and get this screen
P1020684-s.JPG
The other 2 OS (both in partitions on a separate drive) boot OK.

Can anyone suggest why this may have occurred, and more importantly - how to sort it?

Thanks

Does the original W8 still boot if you "F8" and override the boot drive selection to pick the other drive at power-up ?

Does the original W8 still boot if you "F8" and override the boot drive selection to pick the other drive at power-up ?

No Terry - it still displays the same screen.

In fact I even tried removing the second drive and booting up from the original drive again - and still got this message.

OK
Leave the new HDD disconnected, boot from your 8.1 DVD and run "repair your computer" > "startup repair" from the bottom left of the install screen.
You might need to do it several times.
When the old system starts booting again, reconnect the new HDD.

Thanks Terry.

Sorry for the delayed response but after doing a repair I had a new problem -
The system booted OK when only this drive was connected.
However with both drives connected, when I selected to boot to the repaired Win8 OS , I had a black screen error saying that Windows/system 32/winload.exe could not be found - but the drive booted if I removed the second drive again and re-booted.

I was going to investigate further this afternoon - BUT - it booted correctly once again when I tried it once more with the second drive also connected..

Weird.

Anyway, thanks for your interest and help.

Back