March

aligator

Distinguished Member
If its okay with everyone (rhetorical question) i would like to state some of the achievements of this month: march hopefully daily if possible for this is the month that coca cola was invented, the Eiffel tower was opened, Alcatraz was closed and of course as supplied by my colleagues ides of march and pi day

so today in history:
1- st. Patrick day
2- the rubber band was invented(1845)

that's all i could find
oh yeah the first telephone call was also made in this month and so was the demise of baseball player Joe demajio

any comments?????

Last edited:
Its Dimaggio. And hes one of the best players ever.
He owns the longest hitting streak record. (56 straight games)

march 18th:
kind of a slow day in history only found one thing worth mentioning:
1-Soviet Union cosmonaut Aleksei Leonov becomes the first person to take a space walk. (1965)
but yet an amazing feat

Hmm...
March 17th: I broke up with my girlfriend (not for good, I hope). :wtf:

Thats all I could collect about yesterday. :lup:

That's quite an important event, actually......

Anyway, a list of holidays in March:
March - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And from that article:
March begins on the same day of the week as November in all years (i.e. March 1 = November 1) and February in common years.

From March onwards, every five months will be exactly the same as the day before the day that begins the month five months ago. Thus, March 1 = August 2, April 1 = September 2, May 1 = October 2, etc. This is due to the fact that from March onwards, every five months equal exactly 153 days, which is one day shy of being divisible by seven.

March's birthstone is Aquamarine.

March's birth flower is the Daffodil.

March is said to "come in like a lion, out like a lamb." Some variants of the proverb reverse the "lamb/lion" ordering. This reversal may have originated with Cassandra of the shared chariot.

march20:
1- Harriet Beacher Stowe publishes the book Uncle Tom's Cabin . (1852)
2- international earth day
3- spring vernal equinox
4- beginning of the Persian new year

for those who don't know the equinox is the one time when there is exactly 12hours of night and 12 hours of day but only on the equator

The equinox occured at 5:48 (GMT) this morning Ali, and the equal day and night is the same everywhere on the planet, not just the equator.
It's the moment the sun crosses the equator, and means, in Latin, Equal Night (Equi Nox), so if the ancient romans called it that, they must have had 12 hours of night and day too.

On the equator, you always get 12 hours of each at any time of year.

Last edited:
Yeah i corrected him before.
And you would think everybody would know him but alas.
I doubt on this side of the world anybody has heard of him.(this side meaning past Britain and before Japan)

Well of course Joe was also famous for marrying (& subsequently divorcing) Marilyn Monroe, and she was world famous.

Who's this "Marilyn Monroe" you speak of?

j/k! :tongueout:
She is the one who slept with John F. Kennedy before he got shot at the grassy nole. :wink:

Even though he was married. Guess the US politicians like to keep at least part of our heritage alive. Not the best part to keep alive....

She was my favourite glamour film star of all time. She was pretty, funny and a good actress too.
Here she's singing Happy Birthday to President Kennedy, she committed suicide shortly afterwards.
Some say she was murdered.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4SLSlSmW74&feature=related
Here she's singing "Diamonds are a girl's best friend" one of her more famous movie scenes:
http://www.youtube.com/v/p0FDGnAIWpk&hl=en
Tribute sung by Sir Elton John (those words were written hy him in Marilyn's honour and years later adapted and sung by him at the funeral of Princess Diana):
http://www.youtube.com/v/mIThPL8Akgc&hl=en

Last edited:
:lol:

I personally don't consider all these "temporary marriages" that the celebs do to be much better than sleeping around... I mean, what's the point of getting married for one month or less anyway!?

Peter, Monroe was way before my time; but from what I gather she was just about the same as some of the higher-profile celebs currently "on the market?" I don't know....

i really don't know anything about music or musical celebs but in my defense ronin and peter the red line in Firefox did not show up under joe's name (purposely did not write the last name)

march 21:
1- The infamous Alcatraz prison is closed. (1963)
2- good friday

:lol:

Peter, Monroe was way before my time; but from what I gather she was just about the same as some of the higher-profile celebs currently "on the market?" I don't know....

There's a world of difference between MM and the current run of bimbos. MM could act, she had loads of talent. She had a tragic life though. It's been the subject of many books so I wont try to explain it here.

Back