Microsoft Security Essentials Final Released

Mak 2.0

Mod...WAFFLES!?!?
Staff member
Microsoft Security Essentials provides real-time protection for your home PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.

Microsoft Security Essentials is a free* download from Microsoft that is simple to install, easy to use, and always kept up to date so you can be assured your PC is protected by the latest technology. It’s easy to tell if your PC is secure — when you’re green, you’re good. It’s that simple.

Microsoft Security Essentials runs quietly and efficiently in the background so that you are free to use your Windows-based PC the way you want—without interruptions or long computer wait times.

Just a heads up, this is NEWER than the one that us Beta Tesers were using. Even after the 1.0.15 update. This is 1.1.16 so it should be installed. You can just download the installer and it will update it for you!

Current info on this build:

Microsoft Security Essentials Version: 1.0.1611.0
Antimalware Client Version: 2.0.6212.0
Engine Version: 1.1.5101.0
Antivirus definitions: 1.67.166.0
Antispyware definitions: 1.67.166.0

Source: In House
Download

Do you think this will be enough to use the Windows without any other AntiVirus or generally protection software?

Last edited:
Somehow I have a feeling it wont, Sarge...
After all we're talking Microsoft here.
Better to be safe than sorry, and to retain as much protection as you currently have. :wink:

Anyway, this is interesting news, and I'll be sure to get this software.

Yeah, I have the same feeling Jake, but as we all know, having 2 AntiVirus software solutions installed is not good at all, so I'm wondering what this is.

True. But according to what Mac wrote...

"Microsoft Security Essentials runs quietly and efficiently in the background so that you are free to use your Windows-based PC the way you want—without interruptions or long computer wait times."

So based on that description, I'd guess its not meant as a complete solution for viruses, spyware, and all that crap. I would assume that "quietly and efficiently" means it uses less memory than most anti-virus software, and so if memory is the thing you have in mind, then I'd say it shouldn't be that big of a problem according to Mac. But if on the other-hand you meant conflicts and such, well, I guess the only way to find out is to install it and test it...

Hopefully its just as easy to uninstall, if it turns out to be just a lot of unnecessary bloat.

As far as I know, having 2 (or more) antivirus softwares installed will get your computer infected and destroyed and messed up and.. worst of all.. SLOW. Just.. the other way around so the worst thing for your system would be to get infected and then destroyed.

I read a discussion on this topic not too long ago on another forums, and there was this guy posting who says he uses more than 1 antivirus and other protection software on his computer all the time, and there are no conflicts. It seems like most people suggesting there's a problem with having more than 1 have never actually tried it, just took someone else's word for it...

I'd be interested in testing it myself to see what is the real truth in the matter. :wink:

Cheers.

I'm afraid I talk out of my own experiences. I worked in a hardware store for a year and checked roughly 3-6 systems a day, many many many cases taught me to never install 2 antiviruses on one computer. Maybe that person actually is not noticing how slow(er) his/her computer works, until it actually stops working.

I'm afraid I talk out of my own experiences. I worked in a hardware store for a year and checked roughly 3-6 systems a day, many many many cases taught me to never install 2 antiviruses on one computer. Maybe that person actually is not noticing how slow(er) his/her computer works, until it actually stops working.
Weell, according to that person, he didn't see any difference in the speed of his computer with more than one antivirus installed. He named several too that he said he had installed, but I don't remember which ones they were...:tongueout: But, hey, your word is as good as his, certainly.

I'll try it myself, and see what results I get.

Cheers.

Oh Please. Just because it is from Microsoft doesnt discount it from the get go. In fact if you read up on many of the sites that do AV Ratings, you will see that MSE actually gets rated HIGHER than things like Trend micro, Eset (NOD32) and quite a few more.

There are less false positives, less resource usage and in fact this does MORE than just AV. It is also a Anti Malware, Anti rookit and Anti spyware tool. Which takes into account Spybot, AVG and other things like combofix and MBAM.

This is a replacement for Defender. If you look you will see that Defender gets turned off when this in installed. I have tested this against Avast, AVG, NOD32, Trend Micro and it has performed wonderfully. Better than i could ever imagine.

Does it catch everything? No. But show me a AV that does and i will show you that viruses have stopped being written. but the truth is that even independent sites that have tested this say it is a great piece of software. I have been only running this since i did my initial tests with the Beta and i still only run it. Even when trying to get infected it has stopped it.

The information in my Post, comes directly from the site NOT ME. So it isnt according to Mak. That is what is stated on the Microsoft site.

So yes this is just fine to use on its own. Yes it is very comparable to some of the top names out there. Yes it is very low in resource usage. I have yet to get a false positive, even when MBAM has found them, and i have yet to get infected.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_report22.pdf

there is a PDF of the best test result to use. The reason is because this is after the time they announced the end of OneCare and right after they took the engine from OneCare and made the first Beta of Morro. Since then they have stopped making as many definition updates for OneCare so it has slipped while they have at least 2 updates a day for MSE. I get one around 10AM and then again before the end of the day at around 8-9pm.

Yes the newer test results show OneCare as being standard. But that is because they stopped developing it and are going strictly with MSE. The Aug test shouldnt even include OneCare as they stopped the service in June. Which shows that the May test is the best one to go with.

Yes it says OneCare, and now that MSE is released, you will see OneCare be replaced by it. But is shows that the engine used gets the Advanced+ rating which only Kaspersky and Eset also got. Everyone else was lower.

I know that everyone thinks that because i have ties to Microsoft that i blatantly plug their stuff. That is not true. I have done more than my fair share of bashing when it is necessary. But just because the product carries Microsoft's name i wont discount it from the start. It rates higher than Norton and McAfee. (Sorry Ex_Brit)

Well said Alex :smile:

I'm excited about this. Can't tell you how many times I've got users computers I'm working on and they leave it to me to find a good free antivirus, antimalware, etc solution.

The thing is guys, having two or more anti-insert security threat here is a bad thing because they can often than not conflict with each other and actually disable the protection, making a threat detected by program B that was disabled by program A and not detected by program A a problem. It is also quite possible for you to notice a performance hit as a result of the two running together.

The latest test from the independent testing site AV_Comparatives is out. MSE ranks right up there with Kaspersky and bitdefender and beats out Eset, AVG, Avast and Avira.

None of the products performed "very good" in malware removal or removal of leftovers, based on those 10 samples. eScan, Symantec and Microsoft (MSE) were the only products to be good in removal of malware AND removal of leftovers.

Advanced+:

eScan, Symantec, Microsoft, F-Secure, Kaspersky, Bitdefender

Advanced:

Eset, Sophos, AVG, McAfee, Avast, AVIRA, Trustport

Standard:

Norman, G DATA

Tested:

Kingsoft

There is even a little side note. It says that Microsoft OneCare would have scored Advanced not Advanced Plus.

All this information can be found via this PDF file from the site.

I have 5 purchased licenses for NOD32, but I uninstalled 4 of them and put MSE instead when I saw how great it was.

Cool. :smile:
How good is it at keeping malware from getting on the system in the first place?
It is better than Eset and as good as Kaspersky and BitDefender. I have run various tests myself, especially around Sweetest Day when known malware was going to hit, and MSE stopped it all. Even when i purposefully let it by, MSE still protected me.
I have 5 purchased licenses for NOD32, but I uninstalled 4 of them and put MSE instead when I saw how great it was.
I have been recommending it and running it myself since the Beta. I couldnt believe it myself until i ran some tests. It really is that good even being by Microsoft. :tongueout:

Great! :smile:
I guess I'll go ahead and install it then in XP (and also maybe Vista), even though I rarely access the Internet anymore from Windows. I usually do it from Linux.
But its always good to have a safeguard.

Yeah I put it on W7 the other day to try it out and I'm very impressed. It definetely beats out the AVG W7 version I was testing during the beta that kept giving me problems and slowing the system down. Along the lines of Defender simple like interface and looked through some of their videos on it.

I installed the version for WIn7 but I couldn't figure out why my CPU fan high speed kicks in and just stays on. When I checked the Task Manager, there are 13 instances of explorer.exe. This keeps happening even on a fresh installation. I have no issues with WinXP though.

Shedrock

Back