Microsoft Security Essentials Final Released

I installed the version for WIn7 but I couldn't figure out why my CPU fan high speed kicks in and just stays on. When I checked the Task Manager, there are 13 instances of explorer.exe. This keeps happening even on a fresh installation. I have no issues with WinXP though.

Shedrock
Are you 110% positive that it was MSE that caused this? I have seen various reports that many 3rd party applications can cause this as well.

Try this:

My Computers | Tools | Folder Options | View
Uncheck "Launch explorer windows in a separate process"

Are you 110% positive that it was MSE that caused this? I have seen various reports that many 3rd party applications can cause this as well.
When I uninstall it, the problem goes away.

Uncheck "Launch explorer windows in a separate process"
This option is not currently checked. I alwyas leave the default.

Update: I just tried re-installing it and it is happening again. This time just 9 instances. Could it be a problem with Avira having a conflict?

Shedrock

I figured that. I'll go try it without Avira and see what happens.

Cheers!
Shedrock

Addendum:

I uninstalled Avira and this seemed to have resolved the issue, so it might have been some conflict I guess.

Shedrock

Last edited by a moderator:
I uninstalled AVG 9 (only a few days old) and Comodo from Vista and installed this, and it was very clean and smooth, so I followed up with removing AVG from W7, and it's just as quick and clean here too.
(It does warn not to install with other Anti-Spyware or Anti-Virus programs)

Funny!

If you install any other combination of AV software, Windows, via the 'Security Center' aka 'Activity Center' will complain about having two different AVs present..... but I can also verify that having both NOD32 and MSE installed at once produced no such response. Guess MS doesn't consider MSE to be a complete AV solution as of yet. :lol:

Same thing happens with Defender. Its just that if Windows detects a third party product it automatically disables Microsoft's product and when its no longer there the MS products kicks in again.

One strange effect I've noticed.
In another thread I talked of the strange behaviour of Vista MC, where my live TV had to be kick-started after a boot, by stop/starting the MC receiver service.
In W7 (both Vista and W7 used AVG) this behaviour didn't happen. Live TV just worked.
Now I've replaced AVG with MSE, live TV needs to be kick-started on W7, but seems to work OK now on Vista ???

I guess it's just one of those random things?

Actually, is UAC enabled? If it's enabled, apps that aren't 100% UAC-compliant are blocked from running at startup (the issue we had with iReboot 1.0, if you remember).. could be that this is what's blocking the live TV thing?

I do have UAC enabled on both, but live TV is part of MS WMC. If they're not compliant, what hope is there ?

Addendum:

I used to get background music on www.janakkerman.com/index_page.html, but now I can't hear anything, no matter which browser I use.
Is this a W7 or an MSE problem ?
Can anyone else hear music ? If so what OS/browser/AV combo ?

Last edited:
Anybody noticed any aberrant behaviour from MSE ?
My mobo has "cool & quiet" technology and I have aggressive power savings set in power management, so when the PC has not been in use and I return to it, it's normally silent, with the temperature display below 30.
Last night, when it should have been quiescent, I could hear it from across the room, as both CPU and case fans were at full-tilt, and the display was at 40.
When I checked for activity with Process Explorer, MSE was chewing up one of my cores, and had been for some time judging by the massive counts accumulated in various columns.
It did not appear with its little green monopoly house in the notification area, and my weekly scan is not due till Monday, so it shouldn't have had anything to to.
I can only assume it got into a loop trying to update the virus DB.

Anyone else ?

I did have problems updating MSE once a few weeks ago on a distant family member's computer that I was trying to fix remotely and I don't know if it ever completed. You should be able to open MSE though and verify whether or not its updating and have the option of canceling it. It might be an error, or it may be the update server went down while it was in the middle of downloading the defintion. Have you noticed this behavior occur more than once?

Just last night, though I do recall an occasion or two where the notification Icon was missing.
Could have been the same problem.
(Reboot fixes)

I tried MSE on my mini notebook that has XP SP3 on it and found that it periodically ate up to 60% of the CPU and as I didn't fancy relying on Windows Firewall alone I got rid of it and installed Comodo Internet Security Free which seems OK, if not a little over-eager to stop everything it doesn't know, which is just about everything. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

I did try McAfee as I get it for free, but the new 2010 version proved fatal for a notebook I'm afraid and totally jammed up the works culminating in BSOD's almost constantly.

According to McAfee forums I'm not alone in that experience with a notebook.

That is one of the problems I have with it (no firewall). Windows 7's firewall is a little bit more customizable but you can't expect the common user to know how to configure it. The way I see it they should put it in MSE instead of having it come with Windows. If they were truly concerned about thier customers' security they would have included MSE for antivirus protection in Windows 7, so if they're not going to do that you might as well make it one product. A firewalls great but at the end of the day without AV there's little hope of keeping a clean system.

As for Comodo I have installed it on a few systems. I wouldn't mind the overly aggressive firewall (That's what I've come to appreciate from McAfee), but this is a little too much for the users that I help.

For a while in Win 7 I used Avast A/V (got to love it for the way it announces verbally that it has updated) and Windows Firewall activated bi-directionally and assisted by "Windows 7 Firewall Control" which is a software app that makes controlling it much like having a regular software firewall.

http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html

Back