Multi boot Vista, XP. and a linux distro ?

BN420

Hey all i've just managed to fix my Windows XP Pro, Vista Dual Boot thanks to EasyBCD :smile:

Can it be done Windows XP, Vista and a 3rd partition with linux on it too >??

Heres my exsisting and working XP/Vista MBR

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=C:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {ntldr}
resumeobject {16bfb017-a9af-11db-b988-b46050dd1752}
displayorder {ntldr}
{020adddd-a9b7-11db-ba03-f810fc345f55}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 30

Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------
identifier {ntldr}
device partition=C:
path \ntldr
description Windows XP Professional

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {020adddd-a9b7-11db-ba03-f810fc345f55}
device partition=D:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows Vista x64 Ultimate
osdevice partition=D:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {8d223d1a-a922-11db-bfa5-806e6f6e6963}

Hey BN420, Welcome to NeoSmart Technologies!

I'm not perfectly clear on what you want to do.
Do you already have Linux installed and want to multi-boot it, or do you still need to install Linux?

Vista & XP & Ubuntu

Hello guys

I think I have a similar problem/challenge.

Currently I have Vista (C drive) and XP (D drive) dual-boot and I would like to try one or two Linux distributions. But I have not been able to find a consistent guideline how to make sure that all systems will be accessible. I only read about problems of other users.

So, what BN420 user and me want is to get some instructions how to set up a multi boot.

I would really love to turn on my laptop and have a choice of Vista, XP, Ubuntu, and Mandriva.

Could you please guide us through this? Is it even possible easyBCD?

THANK YOU

Hi Terry60

Thanks for such a fast response. Of course, I have looked at those guidelines and they seem pretty clear.
My only concern was whether installing linux (say Ubuntu) will influence my dual-boot Vista-XP.
After closer look it seems that I will just add one entry in easyBCD and can have a triple-boot system.

Thanks again. I will give it a try and hopefully manage everything all by myself.

Btw. this is a really great forum and the guidelines are just amazing. Thank you guys. I hope I will be able to give something back soon in the future. :smile:

Happy to help, even if it was just a pointer. If you get any problems adding Linux to your dual boot, check back, you'll find plenty of Linux experts to help (not me - I don't use it !)

Terry60 or others

I have one more question before proceeding with the Ubuntu installation. Referring to the steps 5&6 in the guideline "Dual-booting Ubuntu and VIsta" (Ubuntu - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki), I have to install Grub to its own partition (not to bootloader). My question is how do I find out what number of partition I should use in my case? SD* value I get from the screentext (that is easy) but how do I find out the right number of partition?

I have 1HDD divided into half. C: (80GB) Vista and D: (80GB) XP dual-boot. And I really don't want to mess up any of the two systems (I'm in the process of thesis writing...).

My boot.ini file currently says 3 partitions: multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" .... this kinda make sense... (1)recovery console, (2)Vista, (3)XP

Would I get a partition no. 4? Thus Grub into "/dev/sd*4"? I am going to free up 20GB on C: - could this become a partition no.3 and move XP to become partition no. 4? That would completely screw up my XP system...and that is my biggest concern...

Thank you!!!

Last edited:
Just let it wite to the default location. Then use Startup Repair from a Vista DVD to recover the Vista bootloader and add an entry to chainload it from Vista's bootloader using EasyBCD.

Just let it wite to the default location. Then use Startup Repair from a Vista DVD to recover the Vista bootloader and add an entry to chainload it from Vista's bootloader using EasyBCD.

Thanks, kairozamorro, but I do not have a Vista DVD to fix the bootloader. I got only a recovery disk with my Toshiba, which would wipe my system first. :|

Pablo you can download and burn a recovery disk from the ISO hosted on this site. Make sure you pick the correct one (32 or 64 bit) and follow the instructions in the embedded link on how to burn an ISO image.

Back