Need some affirmation - Removing dual boot

KSquared

I think I know the answer to this question, based on reading a lot of the excellent posts here, but would like a little affirmation before setting off to do what I want to do.

I'm currently running Windows 7 RC (7100) and Vista x64 in a dual boot configuration. I have two SATA drives (0 and 1) running in RAID 0 as a single, logical 150 GB drive. The drive has two partitions - C: and F: Windows 7 is loaded on C: and Vista on F: Of the two OSes, Vista was installed first on F: (when C was an XP partition). C: was later upgraded from XP to Windows 7.

I want to delete the Vista partition and only boot in Windows 7. I believe I can do this by simply deleting the partition using the Windows 7 administrative tools and removing the bootmgr entry using EasyBCD. Why do I think this? I believe that the bootmgr is in the MBR of the logical drive that contains both the C: and F: partitions. Deleting the F: partition won't affect the MBR and with no other entry in the bootmgr, the computer will boot to C:

Am I correct or am I all wet?

Thx
-K2

If Windows 7 (previously XP) was installed first than you should have no problems. However, I recommend you wait at this point to make Windows 7 your only OS until you get the finished version when its released, becuase the version you're running is RC and according to MS Beta/RC testers well not be able to upgrade their test systems to the final product.

So basically what I'm saying is leave it alone. Wait til you get the final product and just backup your stuff, wipe the drive clean, and install Windows 7.

So basically what I'm saying is leave it alone. Wait til you get the final product and just backup your stuff, wipe the drive clean, and install Windows 7.

I've considered that as well. And in the end that's what I'll probably end up doing. But I wanted to consider other options - especially since the free space on my C: partition is getting scarce and the most logical place to get it from is F:.

I'll play it safe for now.

Thanks,
-K2

Back