New Video Card ordered

Mak 2.0

Mod...WAFFLES!?!?
Staff member
So i have finally decided to get a new video card. I got my allowance after the Tax Refund came back and found this little gem:

Link

So i decided to get it even though i dont know much about the Palit brand. But coming from a plain old 6800 card to a 8600GT 1GB GDDR3 card should give me some kind of boost right?:unamused:

Anyways just wanted to see what some of your input was. Before everyone jumps in and says that i should have gottena 9600GT or anything like that. I had a max amount of $100 to spend. I got hte wife to allow me the extra $$ to get this one cause she saw how excited i was to find it.

Believe me if i oculd i would have gotten a 9600 series card. But this should be a nice upgrade for $125 from a 6800 card. Not a 6800 series card. Just a 6800. Not GT or GTS. Just a plain old 6800.:tongueout:

The 6800 is a 256MB card. It has 130nm technology with PCIe interface. Default clock is at 325MHz and Default Memory is at 300MHz. So the new card alone has over double the Memory rate from default. The new card has 540MHz clock and 800MHz Memory. so that will be a nice boost.

I have the 6800 with a NVSilencer Fan hooked up to it:

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=40

That one pictured there is the one i have. I also use RivaTuner to get me some more speed. It is at 400/750 right now. Which is still slower than this new card. So yeah i will get quite a boost from it. :grinning:

Last edited:
Yeah. But that is pretty much my expense till my BDay when i get cash again and put that toward my Mobo and CPU.

Sounds like a nice boost.
(Having just woke up, I read it as "going from a plain 8600 to a 8600GT" and I was like noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, then I re-read it and it made sense :wink:)

i think my next my wont be GFX card, my current one will last me, after i upgrade my processor (which my mobo has to go with it) ill get a new monitor

although my current monitor is still good. ( It is a Compaq FS740 CRT, 17") i have read about some weird problems with it, and i for one am glad i havent had them.

as to on topic, do you know when your new card will be coming in Mak?

It was sent of from Philly just today. So it should be in Buffalo by tonight and to me Tomorrow. :grinning:

Well it came in today. Just spent the last hour and a half removing the old drivers, running driver cleaner pro, shutting down, inserting new card, restarting loading new drivers, resetting the PC for the new drivers to take place. What fun!!

So far. Love it. It is much faster than my old one with just simple rendering. I am in XP now so that i can play a few games. Test out my Doom 3 see if that has boosted any since i was only getting 10 FPS in that. Will give a more in depth review later.

So far. Love it. It is much faster than my old one with just simple rendering. I am in XP now so that i can play a few games. Test out my Doom 3 see if that has boosted any since i was only getting 10 FPS in that. Will give a more in depth review later.

10FPS with 6800, yeah I was reading something about 8600 back in the day and it said there that there are some technologies that are already in game but first got to see the eyes of the world in 8xxx series. Which is wow, nVidia and ID Software's John Cormack worked together while develop of Doom3. So I can imagine what kind of technologies ID have in their computers, probably something we'll see in 5 or 10 years by nVidia :smile:

Great card, Mak, a lot of memory.

I know that Ubisoft uses two 8800's in SLI to test Far Cry 2.
But Doom 3 was released when? 2003/2004 right?
So maybe in another 4-5 years like you said.

Back