[Not-a-Bug] iReboot not showing XP or vista options in XP

baldwin

I am dual booting Vista & XP. The iReboot icon menu in the notification area in Vista shows the "reboot on selection" options Vista or XP as its supossed to. However, the iReboot icon menu in the notification area in XP ONLY shows the "reboot on selection" but NOT the Vista or XP option. I have uninstalled and reinstalled iReboot twice in XP. Any Ideas why the rwo options don't show in XP enev tho they show in Vista?

baldwin

Hi baldwin, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

I'm currently in XP right now, and it works fine here.....
Note that EasyBCD is not required.

To debug:
Start | Run | CMD.exe
Code:
cd \Program Files\NeoSmart Technologies\iReboot\
bcdedit.exe

Copy and paste the output here, please.

EasyBCD isnt required anymore. I thought it was?!? Well good work now that it isnt. I am in XP and it is working fine for me as well.

Perhaps there was a bug in one of the beta releases or something, but IIRC iReboot was always intended to function fully stand-alone...

I just remember a old convo during the beta that we had with EasyBCD being needed. Now that it isnt. That is great news. Guess i should read up more. *whistles* So much reading such little time...

Yes I have EasyBCD installed. I can boot to either Vista or Xp ok....its just that i can't use iReboot in Xp. It woks OK in Vista tho.
Here is My Boot.ini file in vista:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Here is my boot.ini in XP:[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

They are both on seperate physical drives.
Thanks to all who reply
baldwin

I'm sorry, it seems that i'm not good at DOS commands. I keep getting the Error "Program files is not a valid command".....is there anyother way that I can provide You with the information You neeed?....Can I attach that bcdedit.exe file here to this reply?
baldwin

I think it should have C:\in front of the \program files\neosmart technologies...The C:\ represents you XP drive where your files are located. If it isnt installed on C: then replace that with your drive letter.

Ah, it's the missing " around the thing.. C:\ is optional, but wouldn't hurt.

Code:
cd "C:\Program Files\NeoSmart Technologies\iReboot\"

Folks, I think I just figured out why ireboot is not working on my XP system but is working correctly on my vista system. I am using a program on my vista system called RollbackRX. Apparently it takes over the boot process at startup and does not recognize the XP drive. For whatever reason easybcd will not install on the XP version. After I install easybcd on XP and try to run it I get the error "valid BCD registry not detected. EasyBCD has detected that your BCD boot data and MBR are either not from the latest version of windows vista or doesn't exist"..... I know you said that easyBCD doesn't need to be installed in order for iReboot to run, however, since RollbackRX taks over the boot process, iReboot doesn't see the vista or Xp options on the iReboot menu in order to make a selection of either of the operating systems. As I said earlier iReboot works flawlessly in the vista operating system.
Thanks to all who responded.
baldwin

Thanks for getting back to us, baldwin.

That makes quite a bit of sense, third-party programs that hook into the bootloader would certainly cause something like this to happen.

It is unfortunately not possible to add a workaround to iReboot, your best bet would be contact RollbackRX and ask them (nicely! :tongueout:) to make their program compatible with the Vista boot loader.

Back