Operation System not found...

CodexVII

Sony Vaio VGN-FE41M
Windows Vista Home Premium

My neighbour came to my house today asking if I could revive their laptop. When I first took a look at it the error message "Operation System not found..." came up on the boot. I spoke with a person from Dell and said it was most likely a boot sector virus. The steps it took to get rid of it was out of my reach, however.

First I tried to use the Vista recovery disk and in it there was an option to view inside the computer, I looked into C: Programme Files and was surprised to see that nothing was in it except for the basic Windows pre-placed directories and they have been using the computer for a long time. 120GB free of 120GB in other words.

Using Alt+F10 on reboot allowed the computer's built in recovery to run, however in the process of a complete recovery an error popped up saying "ErrorCode = 63" At this rate I thought I had ballzed up the HDD even more than it was.

Crossing my fingers I ran the Vista recovery disk that I mentioned earlier, hoping that by re-installing Windows entirely it would fix all of my problems. Half way down the installation (Expanding copied files at 78% or some where around that) an error came up saying that installation files were missing or something like that inevitably cancelling the installation.

Right now I'm stuck and am letting the recovery disk's "Startup Repair" run, which may take another few hours. I really don't know how to progress onwards and am not sure if the startup repair will help me out at all.

Edit:1
Startup Repair has finished

It knows the Windows Vista is inside it but now when i boot I get the error

"Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Staths: 0xc00000e9
Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred."

I can hit ENTER to choose an OS to start or use Windows memory Diagnostic

Last edited:
Hi Codex,

Sorry to tell you, but it sounds like bad hardware. This should definitely be covered under the manufacturer warranty though, so just give them a call and good luck!

Back