Problem dual booting fedora 10 and vista

Yes, but EasyBCD is dependent and sees it through the eyes of Windows, which as far as your BIOS/grub is conerned may be totally different than thier point of view. Like take into consideration an IDE/SATA mix. SATA might be first but within Windows IDE gets it before any SATA drive, which especially leads to the problems with boot.ini that recent discoveries should fix in future releases.

Coolname007 said:
# NeoSmart NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File
# This is the NeoGrub configuration file, and should be located at C:\NST\menu.lst
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries:
# EasyBCD Documentation Home - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

#This is our first entry
title Fedora
root (hd1,3) #Load Fedora from the 2nd harddrive's 4th partition.
chainloader +1
#End Fedora entry

#That's it!

I tried that config and it came up partition doesn't exist or something like that so I tried changing the (hd1,3) to (hd0,3) and that one came up
"root(hd0,3)
filesystem type is ex2fs, partition type 0x83
chainloader + 1

_"

the underscore just being a blinking cursor thingy. I let it sit there while I went and had supper just incase it might have just been taking a while, but when I got back like 20min later it was still just sitting at that screen with the blinking cursor thingy, but it doesn't let you type anything or do anything.

Ok...so have you changed your BIOS drive order (boot sequence) since taking that EasyBCD screenshot? And have you tried what's suggested in the following link, making sure to keep to the instructions and not try any *experimenting*?

NeoGrub Linux - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

The config I posted in my above post may only work with the 'buntus and not Fedora, though I'm not sure, since I don't use Fedora.

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Haven't changed my BIOS drive boot order and thats the first config I tried when I installed fedora. :tongueout:

me 1st post said:
so I went back and edited neo grubs config to look like this one except changed all the vmlinuz-2.6.17-10-generic to vmlinuz-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.x86_64 and the /dev/sda2 to /dev/sdb4 cuz thats where its installed. tried to boot fedora again and now it brings up find --set-root /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.x86_64 for a while then says cannot find file or something like that.

:tongueout:

Haven't changed my BIOS drive boot order and thats the first config I tried when I installed fedora. :tongueout:

Originally Posted by me 1st post
so I went back and edited neo grubs config to look like this one except changed all the vmlinuz-2.6.17-10-generic to vmlinuz-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.x86_64 and the /dev/sda2 to /dev/sdb4 cuz thats where its installed. tried to boot fedora again and now it brings up find --set-root /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.x86_64 for a while then says cannot find file or something like that.

Yeah...but I noticed you didn't stay with the vmlinuz-enter value here-generic format. :smile: You changed it to vmlinuz-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.x86_64 which might not work. Hence why I asked if you followed what the guide said without trying any "experimenting". :brows: I think you need to try it again, this time making sure to follow the exact same syntax in the guide, and only changing it to the correct thing in your case.

-Coolname007

but it says in the instructions to change it...

"
  1. Replace all occurrences of 2.6.17-10-generic with your current kernel. You can either browse through the /boot/ folder and find the right number, or use the uname command in Linux.
  2. Replace /dev/sda2 with the correct name for your "/" partition. See our document on drive letters and numbers for more info. "
but i'll try it without changing

but it says in the instructions to change it...

"
  1. Replace all occurrences of 2.6.17-10-generic with your current kernel. You can either browse through the /boot/ folder and find the right number, or use the uname command in Linux.
  2. Replace /dev/sda2 with the correct name for your "/" partition. See our document on drive letters and numbers for more info. "
but i'll try it without changing

Yes, and you need to do exactly that :tongueout:oint: Replace the occurrences of "2.6.17-10-generic" with your current kernel. :wink: Which method did you use to find the correct kernel name to enter in?

-Coolname007

I boot off a live cd then opened the partition I had linux installed to then browsed to the /boot/ folder.

Try booting from the LiveCD, and running the following command in the Terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal):

Code:
uname -r
This will give you the current kernel you're using, and then you can simply enter it in your menu.lst.

-Coolname007

Try booting from the LiveCD, and running the following command in the Terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal):

Code:
uname -r
This will give you the current kernel you're using, and then you can simply enter it in your menu.lst.

-Coolname007

will that give me the kernal of the live cd or the kernal of the installed fedora? because there 2 diff versions. The live cd is a 700mb 32 bit CD version and the installed one is a full 4.7gb 64bit DVD version. Or would the kernal be the same on both?

will that give me the kernal of the live cd or the kernal of the installed fedora? because there 2 diff versions. The live cd is a 700mb 32 bit CD version and the installed one is a full 4.7gb 64bit DVD version. Or would the kernal be the same on both?

It should give you the kernel of your Fedora installation, AFAIK. :wink:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
it gave me "2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686"

I browsed to the boot folder of the cd and thats the one thats in there, so i guess the command gives the kernal of the current running kernal, which from a live cd is the live cds kernal.

but just to make sure I pulled out the cd and tried that kernal in that boot cfg and tried all the diff partitions for the /dev/sd[ ] and everyone sits there forever then comes up file not found.

so I just tried directly running that config and stull didnt work.

so I tried just changing the front numbers of the kernal but leaving the -generic still didnt work.

Check on your linux partition where its suppoed to be located for files with similar names. If all else fails you could just copy/paste the correct kernel in your menu.lst. Heck, you can even rename it if you want and have it boot properly. When I first tried linux, I renamed it to something more meaningful such as UbuntuKernel.

it gave me "2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686"

I browsed to the boot folder of the cd and thats the one thats in there, so i guess the command gives the kernal of the current running kernal, which from a live cd is the live cds kernal.

but just to make sure I pulled out the cd and tried that kernal in that boot cfg and tried all the diff partitions for the /dev/sd[ ] and everyone sits there forever then comes up file not found.

so I just tried directly running that config and stull didnt work.

so I tried just changing the front numbers of the kernal but leaving the -generic still didnt work.

Yeah...sorry about that. :ldown: I guess I was mistaken. I just asked about it over at the Ubuntu forums, and learned that the uname command will only turn up the current running kernel, so it makes sense why it found the kernel on the LiveCD. Like Justin said, just check your /boot/grub/menu.lst and use whatever kernel is in the kernel line in the portion of the menu.lst that's not commented out with '#" there under "## End Default Options #", as it most likely will be right. Though you may be able to find the right name by going to the /boot folder itself, and looking at one of the vmlinuz files there, I would go with the other method since you may get confused with all the different files there, with similar names.

-Coolname007

EDIT: Use the section of the kernel line that looks something like this:

2.6.27-7-generic
And then try following that guide again, and replace the occurrences of "2.6.17-10-generic" there with the line similar to the one above.

Last edited:
Back