Program Idea.

toxic chicken

Distinguished Member
make me a new operating system, vista is boring already. :tongueout:

okay, so what i really wanted is pretty simple.

can you make a small command-line program that modifies the date, runs another program, then changes the date back when the program exits?

for example, i need program.exe to be run with the date being january eleventh, 2001.

i would use it like this:
changetime.exe 01/11/2001 program.exe

then, when i exit program.exe, the date goes back to what it should be.

it seems like this could be done pretty easily.

Not a bad idea....
@Sarge: people who want to, ummm, use a program past it's trial expiration data would use something like that :wink:

Our legal consultant for NeoSmart Technologies says it's legal to make such a program, but illegal to use it for "unauthorized" purposes - so we'd be clear :grinning:

@Sarge: Hey, it's our mission statement - to make ingenious software and if this doesn't qualify as ingenious I don't know what does.

toxic chicken said:
i'd imagine it is since it's the same result as double clicking the system clock and changing the date...
OK, I see this program would be useful, BUT, if I have it, I don't need to register that program I'm using, right, which is good for users :sunglasses:

Exactly.
And, as always, NeoSmart Technologies' products are free of charge as an honest non-profit organization :grinning:

I don't think its going to be that simple for this program to work, cause, we don't know where different tips of programs are writing data about "time changing", some programs are doing that in same direcry where they are installed, some in the windows registry, some in windows/system32/ directory, this our program need to detect this kind of data and modify to disable "time control" code or delete it.

@Computer Guru: we are very happy to have "NeoSmart Technologies", but the software company's are not going to be happy about this program, which is means totally nothing to us, I can't wait for this program :smile:

Sarge said:
I don't think its going to be that simple for this program to work, cause, we don't know where different tips of programs are writing data about "time changing", some programs are doing that in same direcry where they are installed, some in the windows registry, some in windows/system32/ directory, this our program need to detect this kind of data and modify to disable "time control" code or delete it.

@Computer Guru: we are very happy to have "NeoSmart Technologies", but the software company's are not going to be happy about this program, which is means totally nothing to us, I can't wait for this program :smile:
that's not what the idea was.

it doesn't detect the date, the date it changes to is what the user wants it to.

Code:
changetime.exe 01/11/2001 program.exe

There's a catch:
This method changes the date, launches the program, waits for the program to close, changes the date back, then exits.

The date will be changed globally.. That is to say, all programs will have the date changed during this time.

To change the date for only one program is near impossible. It's a consideration *maybe* for future versions, but a version 1.0 will only change the date completely during that time.

Yeah, I don't mind if all programs will have the date changed during that time, that don't mean: I can't use any program else during that time does it?

Sarge said:
...that don't mean: I can't use any program else during that time does it?
you can use other programs when it's running. they just won't have the right date. which was what i expected from the time i made this thread.

Hey toxic chicken, how are we gonna call this program? (I think that Computer Guru does not have any problem if we name it?!)

I will make a program for you later which can do that, i will even include an installer for you, i have already written the code in my head, you will be able to select the date you want, select the program, then this information is saved and used when you want to start said program.

That do you?

Like you said what do we call it? Dat0r V1? Date'O'matic V1??????

Question, does the program have to wait for said app to close before changing the date back or will this cause an error, im having a problem waiting for an application to end.

i don't really have any suggestions on what to call it.

it would wait for the program to end before changing it back.

and i would want it as a small command line program, no installer, no amazing graphical interface or anything.

Well, that's obviously up to XcOM, but you can have a "amazing graphical interface" work as a command line program too, so you can use it the way you want, and if someone else wants to do it differently, they can.

Back