quote quiz

aligator

Distinguished Member
rules:
1- open quote at a time (as in wait until the previous one is solved)
2- preferably don't Google it right away try nothing wrong with failure " if you don;t succeed the first time try try again"
3- you must list the name of the person who first said that quote

#1-
when you were born you were pink, when you were growing up you were white ,when you were sick you were blue, and when you were dead you were pail; when i was born i was black, when i was growing up i was black when i was sick i was black, ,and when i die i will stay black; and yet you call me colored
some change might have occurred to the contents of the quote but the message is the same
hints:
1- he was black

thats it

yes Malcolm x is correct changes would have occurred because i wrote the quote from memory so i wasn't sure about it
not only do i use all the brains i have but all the brains i can borrow

Ali, are you sure that's a Malcolm X quote?

Every reference to it says its an unknown English poet.

When I was born, I was black.
When I grew up, I was black.
When I get hot, I am black.
When I get cold, I am black.
When I am sick
, I am black.
When I die, I am black.

When you were born, You were pink.
When you grew up, You were white.
When you get hot, You go red.
When you get cold, You go blue.
When you are sick, You go purple.
When you die, You go green.

AND YET YOU HAVE THE CHEEK TO CALL ME COLOURED!!!
by an Anonymous pupil of King Edward VI School, Birmingham, UK.

* The Poetry Library | Poetry Queries | FAPs
* http://www.anagrammy.com/literary/mkraus/poems-mk12.html

in school i took it as malcom x and thats why i said that:
some change might have occurred to the contents of the quote but the message is the same

Addendum:

any thoughts about the 2nd one

Last edited:
I am certainly not one of those who need to be prodded. In fact, if anything, I am the prod.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
3 quotes from this single greatest English man in history.

"single greatest English man in history." as voted by BBC viewers.

I however voted for the man who came 2nd - Isambard Kingdom Brunel

(The trouble with Churchill, in his own words "History will treat us well. (Churchill, Stalin and Roosevelt) I know. - I shall write the history!"

Last edited:
In the course of my life, I have often had to eat my words, and I must confess that I have always found it a wholesome diet.

Churchill even admitted that he often had to eat his own words.

Terry, Brunell was great but I can't see him as best.

So many memorable quotes came from Churchill one could go on for quite a while.

One of my favourites it from a conversation with Lady Astor (they had a mutual dislike for each other)...

Lady Astor: "Sir, if you were my husband I would give you poison"....

Winston Churchill: "Madam, if you were my wife I would take it".....

Last edited:
There are so many priceless anecdotes I could go on for days.

More Winston Churchill-isms:

On death: "I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."

On politics: "The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

On pigs: "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

On...?: "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

On Hitler: "If Hitler invaded hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons."

I heard the fourth quote before, just didnt know it was Churchill
I guess that would be on humans/human nature.

This isn't that much of a quote more than a saying, but it was in COD4:

"Aim this end towards enemies" written on the U.S. Army Rocket launcher.

I read this quote a couple of days ago for Henry David Thoreau:
As if you could kill time without injuring eternity

Heres a quote i remembered yesterday, i thought it was Newton but Google says Edison:

Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.
and this more famous one:

I haven't failed, i've found 10,000 ways that don't work

Last edited:
I know - 10,000 is what I've always heard the quote told as...

I'm not sure which is more feasible. Edison was referring to the number of different materials he'd tried to use as the filament in the light bulb; and I do know that procedure took him years and years of attempts.

His attempts basically consisted of taking common elements, twisting them into fibers, and placing them in a vacuum container. I don't think there are 10,000 substances that can be twisted in such a way; but I do know there is a more detailed quote on the subject that I read in one of his biographies which goes into detail about the different trials.

He specifically mentioned using wool as one of the items - I cannot recall the rest though.

It's possible that he once mentioned it 700 as the true count, then 10,000 as the anecdotal exaggerated-to-get-a-point-across number.

Here's yet another number courtesy of H2G2 (the Douglas Adams inspired website on the BBC)
"
Of course, even the most concentrated thinking cannot solve every new problem that the brain can conceive. It usually takes me (Edison) from five to seven years to perfect a thing. Some things I have been working on for 25 years - and some of them are still unsolved. My average would be about seven years. The incandescent light was the hardest one of all; it took many years not only of concentrated thought but also of worldwide research.
Edison tried many different filaments in over 4700 experiments. He knew he needed one that was very thin that wouldn't melt very easily. The ones he worked with the most were carbon and platinum. He thought of using tungsten (which is what is used in today's bulbs) but he didn't have tools delicate enough to handle it. Bamboo filaments were tested but they got very hot without getting very bright due to the fact that at operating temperatures more energy was radiated through infrared light than visible light. Edison had many successes with platinum but because of its expense it was impractical. Edison went back to experimenting with carbon since it had a high melting point and good conductivity. Edison had excessive newspaper coverage of this experiment for the whole duration of the project. When at last a long, bright burning bulb was created, there was great celebration. At the turn of the century, electricity was hailed as the new panacea. "

Back