The Introduction Thread

Well, I actually thought I was getting an account just to say thank you, and get access to the occasional jpg, etc.

So thank you very much for a great util.

Now the but, but that was before the insanity set in on me today. So, like everyone else, I'm going to post a problem question elsewhere.

I'm trying to think of a short bio for an intro thread like this. I'm 53, I first touched a 5 1/4 around August of '82, lived through the OS wars of the 80's, OS/2 where I learned to dual boot, and the 90's, Unix where I learned that real programmers didn't have to write ONLY in assembler and the '00's where I just plain survived. I also survived the great Derek Smart flame war on C.S.I.P.G but that's a whole other thread. ::nerd:

I was until recently a practicing systems engineer, but then I got a good case of "the Big C", and so now I've got WAY too much time on my hands. Which is likely why I'm in the middle of a PC mess, but the upside was my wife gave me pretty much carte blanche on getting a new PC, "to give me something to keep me amused".

The down side is that she wants to play WoW and I've got to get her rig, my old one, up and running by the weekend or I get to go buy a new 500gb and make the, in her words, "$%$#)( thing work".

I've enjoyed the articles written here, and I'm impressed with your software efforts, so thanks again.

Larry

P.S. The Mage in VaMage goes back to the 70's when I was the guy my friends conned into playing the squishie in D&D, come to think of it I'm still a rag wearer in WoW so nothing much has changed.

Hey everyone,

I signed up after finding these forums following a google search on a problem I was having with EasyBCD more details on that here.

I'm a late 20s (age not birth year!) IT Manager at a school in Birmingham and spend my days firefighting it annoyances, with the occasion long term project to get stuck into!

Hello everyone, I'm DaperDan and joined to gain more
knowledge in installation & running OS's on my
6 boxes.This looks like an intelligent forum.
Thanx for admitting me.

Hey everybody! :grinning:

welcome to the forums! have fun and post lots. responses will come at a timely manner from others more intelligent members.

:smile:

Hi all!

I signed up to try out the latest EasyBCD version. Currently I have the following systems installed;
WinXP pro 32-bit
Win7 pro 64-bit
Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit
Hopefully EasyBCD will help me choose the system i want when booting, without too much hassle =).
You'll hear from me if I screw things up :wink:

edit: And there we go. After some fumbling (my bad), everything works perfectly. 10 second delay, where I can choose between any of my installed os'es. Thanks for a nice piece of software!

Last edited:
heevhu here

hi. never did the intro part, but, as asked here i am. currently on a difficult issue about win7 and winxp dual boot (the ntldr problem) after messing with fixboot (because i thought somehow it would fix my win7 corruption warnings). It just screwed my xp boot and win7 is not so good also. It boots in safe mode but it blacks the screen in normal mode... i'm here because i liked the things i read here. Enjoyed the kind of speech. And sincerily i'd like to find (finally) a forum where i could REALLY discuss with someone on an almost friendly way...
i take care of communication&technology at a theater company, being too an actor myself.
developing website, blog, design, animations, multimedia and video.

c ya r'ound.
cheers.
ivo.

Just thought I'd introduce myself, but I see it's over 18 months since anyone introduced themself. Does that means no-one else has joined in that time or did they move this thread like someone mentions further up?

I joined because I was trying to download the Vista Recovery Disk without any luck and needed to post a request for help. BTW Dave posted a new link and it worked I have successfully downloaded the Vista Recovery Disk.

Ray, its not been 18 months, unless you're looking perhaps at the timestamp for the first post of the thread. Glad you got what you needed. Post a thread if you have any questions.

Hey, newborn to the family here.
Got a little project with XP, W7, Ubuntu and another Xp (auto install test).
Problems with grub and easybcd.
Can´t move on from there and thought I try out the easybcd 2,0.

Zimoich out.

So, How did I get here?

I am 55 years old, and an unrepentant gamer ever since Duke Nukem taught me to be sensitive and diplomatic. I use computers every day at work where we have a mixture of Macs and PCs, depending on the task, and have bumbled through DOS, Windows 3.1, 95, 98, XP, OS9, OSX, Ubuntu 8.04, 8.10, and 9.04. I passed over Vista like it was a turd on a buffet table, and waited patiently for Windows 7. Friends of mine that tried the early release candidate loved it (especially after all the trouble they had with Vista incompatible hardware and software). So, I put in my advanced order and planned for the day when I would install it on my computer. The only complication was that I only had room for 3 hard drives in my computer. One was for XP, and is loaded with lots of goodies I don't want to lose. The second was for Ubuntu 9.04 which I really liked using, as long as no gaming was involved. The third was for storing photos and videos. I decided to remove the Ubuntu drive and replace it with Win 7 in a dual boot configuration. So, I removed the Ubuntu drive, and booted into a GRUB Error 17 nightmare. Krap! So, I went online and the nice folks on the Ubuntu forums quickly solved that problem. (Insert WinXP disk; enter Recovery console; type CD .. and then type FIXMBR) Done. Now I could boot XP again all by itself.
Went to install my "upgrade" edition of Win7, and discovered that it wanted to WRITE OVER my XP install???? So, I unplugged the XP drive, installed XP on the new drive, and then installed Win7 over top of the new XP on the new drive. Everything just fine, except that I couldn't dual boot. Sure, I could fiddle with the BIOS and get into each OS, but that is not the best solution. So, i spent 6 hours searching stuff online, installing this thing and that thing, swearing, cursing, and pounding my fist on the desk. A typical day on the computer. No solution to the dual boot problem. Then I found a reference to EasyBCD2.0 Beta. I signed up, installed the software, and in about 15 seconds had a perfect dual boot computer with Win7 and XP. So, thanks for the elegant solution. Of course, now I am going to totally screw it up by installing Ubuntu 9.10 on an external drive, so I fully expect to be scouring the forums for a solution to problems that I can only imagine now. Ah well, everyone needs a hobby.

Hi Fletch, welcome to NST.
build 65 (yesterday) will make 9.10 a piece of cake too.
Glad you like Easy2

hello all, i'm looking around to find out how to make a dual boot W7 and XP, i get the impression that i'm on the right spot. Till later, greetz from Amsterdam.

Hello,

my Nick is BrollyLSSJ (as you can guess :tonguewink:) and I joined here to find a solution to be able to boot Windows XP again (Windows 7 overwrote the MBR). I registered here also to download the latest beta.

Hi to everyone

Hi everyone,

I'am Hugo Valcourt, from Montreal. I'am a Webmaster for an Artist run center.

I recently found Neosmart EasyBCD, this product seem to be very cool, so I try it!

I'am here because I need help with my first EasyBCD (Windows7 / Ubuntu on two HD).

Thanks to everybody for the help,

have a good day.

Hugo

Back