The Introduction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks
I downloaded the recovery disc and tried to boot up my dead dell but no luck.
I am not sure what to try next.
Thanks again.
Paul

Welcome in! You don't call the doctor for no good reason, do you. . . .

'Ole Doc Harris' prescription for dead Dell computers is often a double-barrel 12-gague shotgun at 30 paces. . . . ( :grin!: )

One thing you can do right away is open the thing and look at the motherboard - look at the electrolytic caps (cylinders with score-marks on the top). If they look swolen, or have something coming out of them, you have two choices:
(1) Replace the MoBo.
(2) The 12-gague shotgun.

Jim (JR)

p.s. High to Guru and Ex-Brit!

Could be a dead or at least faltering power supply or hard drive too to mention but two of many possibilities, I've experienced both. Unless one is an expert these cases are often best dealt with by a PC repair shop.

Last edited:
Hello, I'm Lanson, I found this site while struggling with repeatedly killing my boot sectors on my new Win7 laptop. I've been using XP for at least 6 years, and had gotten it to do whatever I want... but I've learned 7 likes to fight back. Anyway, the first time it happened and I tried some of my old XP tricks it just made things work, I ended up spending most of the weekend installing over my copy of windows and trying to salvage what I could. This time, I somehow stumbled on a guide here and within 5 mins of using the command prompt I was back into Windows. I felt the need to join just to tell them I love them now. I do know a lot of miscellaneous pc repair, I just do need help sometimes :tongueout:

Hi,
I am here because I am looking for (mentally) better stuff than Grub to set up Linux (either Ubuntu or Mintz) on my new Windows 7 laptop.
Therefore I am reading up all I can understand on boot loaders. Had heard of bcd, didn't know what it was. Then googled "what is easy bcd",
so here I am.....
Maarten
NL

Hi all, I have been using pcs since msdos3.2 and supercal.
Have been on many MS courses 10 years ago but nowadays manage with wealth of talent on forums like this. thanks for being here. Not a Prof in any way, but can usually figure out most stuff.
Terry, just seen your avatar and love it. Try to help when I can, and joined here because there is an easy multiboot manager for win7.
I am also trying to find an hp g55 32bit driver file .inf to enable the 64bit window system to support 32 bit windows on the network.

see you later
G1

Hello neosmarters!

well its been like five years since last i stopped by, but over time i keep stopping by to make sure guru is still a guru and get a kick at how well this site has developed.

to guru,
not sure if you remember, but some time back i bugged you and others here trying to get Vista to do what i wanted. trouble was that i had no idea what i wanted. this was partly because i had no idea. :smile:
anyway, i decided to change my schooling and began studies in computer science. this site and you, had much to do with my continued interest and encouragement to learn. now, i can't believe how much i did not know back then. crazy to think that i have my CCNA, worked for Cisco for about 1.5 yrs and now Sr. Lab Systems Integration Engineer at a small storage company that is squared.

thank you Guru, Neosmart, and all you neosmarters that have been here since the beginning!

Welcome to Neosmart.

I have recently installed EasyBCD, to be able to switch between W7 and Linux Mint (Katya). When coming from XP and iMac, W7 is a bit of a challenge. I have prior experience with Ubuntu, but Mint is a neater distro.
Of course I now get bothered by GRUB. So I probably installed it wrong.
Meanwhile I like fiddling around with something new, and accept that I make mistakes, which invariably leads to lots of repair work. Time is not much of a problem for a retired old ph**t.
Railvis
NL

Thanks for the welcome !! I have been involved in what is now called IT since 1968 - This, of course was before King Billy and his minions - It's too bad this great creative occupation has become all about the money - I, of course, am trying to do what many of us go through - create my old system on a new machine - this has proved to be quite an adventure but I'm sure many IT Pros have their own stuff which has to be recreated as is for whatever reason - This has proved to be quite a challenge and I have failed so far - I have never been a part of this type of "post", have no idea what a thread is for sure, so I guess someone will have to educate me !!! Ahhh for the good ole days of IBM cards and machines with 8K -- Regards, Papa John

Hi guys (and girls..) ... was just a quick hello, came across you due to me dual booting xp and vista and having the old deleting restore points issue..;0) ..
I wouldnt introduce myself as a complete techy dude... but more an apprentice and learning...;0)
And a quick BIG thank you to the guys behind both EasyBCD and VistaHnS ..and on that thought I am off to find the post relevant to these two programs, already I have a quick question... :grinning:

Hello everyone,

came here to try easybcd, to remove my old xp from the dual boot manager. Hope this time it'll succeed as I have to reinstall my pc's image three times in a row now...

Hello guys, what's up?

I stumbled across easyBCD while looking for a way to dual boot windows 7 and fedora. I'd been running linux distros on VMs up until now, and I've decided that it's time to take it to the next level. I'm quite new to this stuff (and linux), so please excuse my ignorance :lup:

Hey dissent, welcome to the forums! How's your Linux-Windows dual-boot going so far?

Good place to be???

Hello to all.// Being new here with many problems..Mostly misunderstanding with Micro Shaft..I go way way back when DOS 3.2 was the king..Until micro shaft in REDMOND.WA.Desided to good for the masses,giveam something to complain,have blue sod screens,unusual shutdowns,trojans,unsafe OS sytem up dates per day..On and on so we had it to god..But know have to hire a profesor to just to understand how to turn on Your PUTER..hehehe They laughing all the way to the bank..IBM was the dummy ..Why do they give the dos system to MS..So now they can just dictate windows and more windows,just to look out hopping Your system will run for an other hour..Or boot again..10 or 25 digit error codes..Need a bible just to understand then just to find out no no that is not what it is..
Enough bellyaking..All an all Thank You all nice bunch of geek gurus and some knoledgable persons,they all here to help..
JUST HAVE TO SAY A HUGE BIG THANK YOU ALL,YOU MORE THAN APRECIATED I guess just a big learning curve for all of babygeeks US.
Thanks again..Hope soon I can jumpin to help.I have many problems with our home computer 4 units (FAMILY) they alll have the Microshaft curse..Then of course problem with our Cell phone Chargingsystem..Try to find some website who would dare to open an Android I phone...Or repair..I guess hope there is an other websites for stupid phone servicing..
Thank You all For let Me be here..Soon as find My problem, to repair for My primary computer.I will tell every one HOW TOO.Will be the most interesting trey to fix MICROSHAFT problem...
Be blessed ..LOUBOY

If it aint broke don't fix it.

I have a Mac Pro I bought myself for my 73rd birthday four years ago. Four Hard Drives. Bay 1 devoted to Mac OSX (presently Leopard, Snow Leopard & Lion with fourth partition spare. I have a Win 7 installation in Bay 3 created with Bootcamp which I call WinBoot. This has the boot.ini, ntdlr etc for the old windows installation. Distributed in the remaining drives are two XP installations (was 3), two Win 7 32bit (one of which replaced Vista which I never liked or used) and one win 7 64 bit. I recently reinstalled an XP installation and along the way fell for the oldest trick in the book "There is a later version of EasyBCD available" BIG MISTAKE. I wasted days trying to sort the "cannot access ntdlr " message. What an absolute waste of time.(limited amount left!) I downloaded EasyBCD I think it was 1.72, uninstalled the latest upgrade. Installed 1.72. deleted & re-added my XP installations. BINGO just as it had always been. No more upgrades!!! Thank you fo a really useful programme and also for iReboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back