The Introduction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
wavey.gif

Hy All

Hy All and specially NST,
My first post wasnt a cry for help (for now :smile: )
I am here because I'm interested in translating EasyBCD on my tongue. I want to help - if possible (I hope :smile: )
By profession I am a computer programmer for business applications, I am retired, I come from Pula - Croatia, I have 44 years.
Otherwise I've been re-recording VHS, DV to DVD and fixing some notebook or computers for now in the free time :smile:
That is so much from me for now.

Hi all,
this dual booting thing is pretty new to me. I managed to make my daughters laptop a 17" HP DV9820 into a dual boot with Vista and XP last year.
I only use a pc for personal use really and games. I am interested in how they work though and have repaired quite a few for friends.
You wouldn't believe how silly some people are with a computer.
I managed to save a friends photos of holidays and his sons passing out parade at Dartmouth Naval College, he hadn't made any backups whatsoever, locked himself out of the computer with his password he forgot and after trying for ages his motherboard gave out.
I saved a whole 4.5 gig of photos and documents for him and he did not realize it but he had been scammed by one of these fake anti viruses. When I connected his hard drive to my machine it froze it solid and its no slouch. I found over 170 viruses on it and boy was he lucky as he paid for it with his credit card and they only took one payment from him. These scammers normally sell you details on and you get hammered twice at least.
Any way I digress, I like the challenge of computers and finding out what upsets them and putting it right.
regards to all,
KingWhiskers

Hi Ex_Brit,
he now is, and what is the biggest laugh is he uses a computer every day at work as a Building Site Manager for a well known very large company and still he made a basic mistake like that. The trouble with business computers is that they are managed for you and everything is done for you so there is really nothing for you to do except use it and report problems to administrators.
I have even known people who have been caught out by phishing emails and given their bank details away.
I really makes you wonder how silly joe public is.
Thanks for the welcome
Kingwhiskers

Bonjour,

Il était une fois un bidouilleur informatique qui voulait faire du mutiboot et qui en cherchant découvrit EasyBcd... et là je vient de découvrir qu'il était possible de le traduire en français alors j'ai pas pu résister je me suis inscrit et je vais tenter de traduire ce sympathique logiciel.

xb70walkyrie

hello,

Once upon a time, there was an IT do-it-yourselfer who wanted to make of the mutiboot and who by looking discovered EasyBcd and there I has just discovered that it was possible to translate him(it) into French then I was able to resist I joined and I am going to try to translate this nice software.

(Reverso Online translation)

Mahmoud,

I don't know if you remember me - from a while back! - (I was the guy who asked if you took PayPal to contribute!)

EasyBCD is, and has been, one of those "And why didn't Microsoft think of this?" kind of things. Seriously, I'd love to see a distribution arrangement between you and M$ so that it came pre-installed. . . .

Today I downloaded 2.1.2. Yawn. . . Nothing much. . . . Just the same old fanatical quality and insane support. . . ( :laughing: )

I also took the liberty of buying a "commercial" license. Not that I really NEED a commercial license, but hey! You folks deserve it.

(pssssst! Hint! Hint!)

The rest of you folks out there in Television Land - if you can - should really consider tossing a few centavos their way. For what you get, and for what they ask, sheesh! I've spent more than 5x the price and gotten less than 0.000001% of the usefulness and quality - even at the "commercial" rate. . . . Even if you don't want to get the commercial license - at least toss 'em a coupla cold beers. Or for Mahmoud, a coupla cold iced teas! You know, the ones with the two lizards on 'em. . . .

And no, I don't get paid for this. Though I DID confer upon Mahmoud and the rest of the Crew, QA Tech-Tips' (quasi) Prestigious "Hot Smokin' Weapon!" award for May, 2010. (http://qatechtips.blogspot.com/2011/05/hot-smokin-weapon-award-for-may-2011.html)

What say ye?

Jim (JR)

Addendum:

Hi Ex_Brit,
[. . . .] I have even known people who have been caught out by phishing emails and given their bank details away.
I really makes you wonder how silly joe public is.
Thanks for the welcome
Kingwhiskers

P.T. Barnum is credited with saying "There's a Sucker born every minute."

Though, I will admit that the phishers are getting PRETTY DARN SNEAKY these days. Not to mention the skumware writers and drive-by web slamms.

The best way to deal with this, other than wrapping your computer in dynamite (!!) and going to live in a cave somewhere, is to get a totally top-flight AV solution.

I use - and recommend - Avira's Anti-Virus solution. The payware version isn't that expensive, ($30), and it protects you from a whole host of slimeware and vicious nasties. I've used it for years, have it installed on my wife's computer, my son and daughter-in-law's computer(s), and when my two granddaughters get old enough to have computers, I'm buying copies for them too. Runs rings around the two "National Brands". Fast as a thief and doesn't hog your system.

IMHO, it's up there in the "Software that actually DOES what it CLAIMS TO DO" Hall of Fame - right next to EasyBCD. Seriously. It's that good.

I hate to "advertise" here - but this kind of doo-doo is a serious problem. Even if you just get the freeware version, it's a step in the right direction.

If *I* had *MY* way, all these phishers, and other skumware writers would spend eternity in a very special kind of hell - no flames, no "lake of fire", just a permanent incessant itch that they cannot scratch. . . .

What say ye?

Jim (JR)

Last edited:
Thanks, Jim. Long time no see! How's everything going? I still drop by your blog every time I get an email :smile:

I think the free MS security essentials currently ranks higher than Avira?

Hello all!
I joined on 17 Feb 2012 with the objective of learning more about Windows 7, Vista and XP co-existence although the last one has already been declared EOL by Microsoft. I dont want to jettison some extremely useful software just because MS Windows 7 treats them as pariah, neither I want to spend more hard earned money in purchasing upgrades of these software. I look forward to being responsible member of the forum.

vbpathak

Welcome to the group. :wink:

Actually XP isn't EOL yet. It is no longer installed in new computers but in fact XP SP3 (SP2 if x64) has an EOL of April 2014.

Googled setting up a "dual boot xp and server 2008" and this forum was listed on the first page of results. Congrats, particularly after reading the light hearted post's. Having fun being a IT geek and still be informative and helpful was a driver in signing up.

how do I holler??? I can't find any link to start a new thred or ask a question, which is what I came here for

Addendum:

how do I start a new thread?

Last edited:
Welcome to the group. Just go to whatever section it is and click "Post New Thread" at top left. If you don't see it it's either a locked section or you aren't signed in.

Click image below to see what I mean.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back