The Introduction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
newbie here.

been using these toys for about 30 years, starting with CPM, usually with the end of setting type and getting the result smashed in ink onto pieces of dead tree. Eventually technology and declining revenues outran my ability to buy new stuff (CTP) and I retired. Or closed up and ran away screaming. I try not to think about that.

Now I read a lot. Love Baen's ebook policy! Packaged soups are nutritious and inexpensive! I can usually get by on one tank of gas per month. And so on.<G>

I arrived here because I have lots of old software I cannot (at all) or cannot afford to update thus I keep a couple recurring revenue-producing jobs on an XP-bootable HDD. If I need it, I plug it in and unplug W7. Fuss with whatever updates and stuff are needed, and proceed. EasyBCD promised to make things easier. And it did. So far.

I found this place because of a commonly reported problem (can't find...not XXXX, whatever) and searched and understood and fixed it without posting. Lucky me. That's the reason for the search function, no?<G> Next time might not be so mild.

In the meantime I found that almost all my old stuff runs happily on W7 under a compatibility mode setting so the imperative is a little less, ummm, imperative. But it took me a long time to like XP and now I do so....<G>

I had set up a virtual machine for running w2k (no "phone home") but found it too complicated for everyday use. By me (which drive was what, and ...?). And I don't need it. Actually found recently that PageMaker 7 (W2K era) ran just great under W7 without being installed, off an HDD stuck in a USB dock! Had a bit of a tussle with getting the job printed, since none of it's printers were available on the system, but VNC to a real XP boot solved that problem.

I have my backup box, that I'm using most of the time now for just stuff, a Core2Duo E6600, 2.4--not fast, but steady and plenty quick for screwing around on the web and email and such running W7 HP 32-bit (soon to become a 3.0 Ghz 68xx Core2Duo, an upgrade from some other parts I have scattered about). Might get an SSD boot drive. still thinking.

And my big "Brutus" box, an i7 2600K w/16gb ram and HDD out my ears, running 64-bit W7 HP. Overclocked mildly by the ASUS mobo utility to 4.6 is really working, idle is 1.6. Less than the core2Duo for thatr matter, but the older chip doesn't have an idle speed. I might get a dual boot XP drive on here as well, plus an SSD C drive for W7 boot. And solving the XP AHCI issue. If it exists on this box.

When I'm not working myself into a corner on the tin boxes, I'm out doing about the same thing on my 1973 MGB. Planning on--gasp--installing electronic fuel injection later this summer (depends on cash flow).

I'm also starting to dink my toe into machine embroidery. She bought a Brother "sewing" machine that does that along with a software package that lets you design your own embroidery which the machine will then, virtually hands off, proceed to sew. Want Mickey Mouse smoking a cigar with an evil eye on the fly of your Joe Boxers? Can do! Or could. When i figure it all out (much more complicated than PostScript!). In order to GROK the software one has to understand the sewing part as well. Thread density stitch spacing, and such. This is in the first 10 pages of the manual! The software appears excellent

Otherwise I'm bored all day, Or reading David Weber's latest. or taking a nap after cleaning up after the cats and their mess ("cats are clean animals" bullshit!)

'bye!

I envy you that MGB....:wink: I remember back in my University days I used to drive an Austin Champ - the U.K.'s equivalent of the American Jeep. That was the only only non-boring-normal vehicle I ever owned. I remember it had 5 gears both forward and reverse and had a Rolls Royce engine, and with a few quick modifications could be driven underwater, not that I would ever do such a thing. Maybe then I would have...LOL. My father had promised me an MGB on graduation but he died beforehand and left us with lots of bills, so that never happened, neither did the graduation for that matter.
Now I can't drive due to a chronic heart condition, they wont give me a license any more, probably just as well as I always drove at breakneck speed but never had an accident. I couldn't afford it now anyway living in a big city on a pension. It would cost a fortune just to keep it parked let alone drive it.

Last edited:
How do you start a new thread? I see no instructions, buttons, or links anywhere which explain how to do this. The link about starting a thread, which was in my welcome email, doesn't work. Thanks and sorry if this post is in the wrong place.

Hi GuyinRI, welcome to the forums. Click the forum link at the top of the page, select the forum you would like to post in (ie. EasyBCD Support) and top-left there will be a button to create a new thread.

I joined because I'm a computer tech and I was trying to fix an older Dell laptop with Vista that didn't have a recovery disc. I found EasyRE through a blog, downloaded it, then had a look at the boards, since I've had a few years experience as an Expert on the bytes.com boards.

Thanks for the intro. I joined because I"m sure I will have questions later. I kind of live on the edge, I try stuff with computers and sometime I get in to trouble. Now playing with the Windows 8 preview and had to install in another partition. I downloaded easybcd in hope if getting rid of some of the entries in that fancy boot menu, but thought I would leave it alone right now. I don't know how long this windows 8 preview will last, but I'm staying tuned.

Hi everybody,
I'm a newcomer as you see. I found this site by chance (and that's the word that's fits the best cause in french that means luck). So I started fixing my probs, I still have some but I climbed a really high step with your help (I'll post a thread about 'em). I'm really happy to be part of that community and I hope we'll make a long road together.
Best regards,
Tang

Joined this forum to find out more about EasyBSD. Have been a Macbook Pro owner for 4 years and ran OSX, Windows 7 and Linux (Mint debian ed.) on it using a custom EFI boot loader. Can no longer afford a mac so have recently purchased a Envy 17 3200 and will install either an msata card or SSD. Due to the peculiarities of Envy, it can be difficult to specifying the boot order when using the msata. Anyway, long story short, Easy BSD looks ideal for someone who often has multiple platforms on their computer, but it may also help me over issue with the envy boot sequence.

I have been a user of EasyBCD since Vista. Decided to join the thread to learn as much as possible about the new Windows 8 Bootloader. I work for Microsoft so i'm always building new images for testing/tinkering. I do like to leave a bridge to a working image which is where EasyBCD comes in. Thanks for the welcome.

I was a Microsoft MVP in 2009, it didn't last....must have been something I said :wink: Welcome to the group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back