Triple booting - Cannot boot from SSD

pgh42

I have just set up a triple boot system (Win10 / Win7 / WinXP) on my desktop computer. (Intel 2.4 GHz Quad core CPU and 6GB DDR2 RAM) I have also migrated two of these OS's to a SSD to improve performance.

My intention going forward is to use Windows 10 as my prime OS and Windows XP for the legacy stuff. I currently use Windows 7 pro as my prime OS.

As such, this is how I have set it up.
(Drive 1)
120 GB SSD - Windows 10 pro 64-bit (clean install) on 90 GB partition.
Windows XP pro 64-bit (cloned from HDD) on 20 GB partition.
'Legacy work' (cloned from HDD) on 3 GB partition. (not required to be bootable)

(Drive 2)
500 GB SATA HDD - Windows 7 pro 64-bit on 120 GB partition
Data (1) on 120 GB partition
Data (2) on 200 GB partition

Please see the attached screendumps that apply when the HDD is set as first boot drive in BIOS
When set this way I can boot in to all 3 OS's.

Note: I have made Windows 10 Drive 'offline' in Windows 7 and Windows 7 drive 'offline' in Windows XP. This is to prevent System Restore points from being deleted when switching between different OS's.

The issue I have is that when I make the SSD the first boot drive in BIOS I get the black screen shown below

What changes do I have to make to be able to boot all OS's with SSD as first BIOS boot drive?

Many thanks

DSCF6578e.jpg

Booted to XP
View from WinXP debug.jpg

Windows disk management - booted to WinXP.jpg

Booted to Win7
View from Win7 debug.jpg

Windows disk management - booted to Win7.jpg

Booted to Win 10
View from Win10 debug.jpg

Windows disk management - booted to Win10.jpg

You need to copy the boot files into the active partition on the SSD
Changing the Boot Partition
Incidentally you only need to hide W7 and W10 from XP.
All Windows from Vista onwards use the same SR format and are backwards compatible with XP, they won't damage it or each other.
Only XP (with a different format) sees the others as corrupted and "fixes" the hell out of them for you.

You need to copy the boot files into the active partition on the SSD
Changing the Boot Partition
Incidentally you only need to hide W7 and W10 from XP.
All Windows from Vista onwards use the same SR format and are backwards compatible with XP, they won't damage it or each other.
Only XP (with a different format) sees the others as corrupted and "fixes" the hell out of them for you.

Many thanks Terry for your advice.... and hope to get back to you when I have made the necessary changes. So if 'I'm reading it right' ? all I have to do is launch EasyBCD within W10 then delete and re-enter the 3 OS's , then set W10 (SSD) as the first Hard Drive to boot in the BIOS and all shall be good? BTW At the moment, if I don't hide W10 from within Win7 then booting into W7 deletes W10 restore points. Maybe this will change once I have set up BCD from within W10? Cheers Peter

I dual boot W7 and W10, both visible to each other. There is no conflict.
Their hidden "System Volume Information" folders (SR point stores) are identical in format and function.
Make sure that your System Restore parameters are only turned on for the system partition from each OS.
Control Panel>System & Security>System Protection>Protection Settings
Maybe you've got each system trying to monitor the other.

Back