Trouble booting windows vista

dannygale

Hello there, a couple of days ago my Sony laptop completely froze so I turned it off by holding the power button in. When I turned it back on, a windows error recovery screen comes up and it's gives me the option to launch startup repair, I enter that and it says windows is starting up files ths then looks like it does the job and it continues to load but then the screen just goes black and then the cursor comes up and that is as far as it goes.

Any ideas on what to do??

regards Danny Gale

Sorry im not sure where to post as I'm using my phone as my laptop is broken and donuts hard to navigate. Where am I meanna post??

I'm using windows vista.

I used to have a link to the Sony recovery instructions, pasted here countless times, but then Sony redirected it to a "registered users only" site, so you'll have to navigate that yourself with the appropriate serial number etc. I can't remember what the hotkey(s) is to access Sony recovery without that reference. Your user handbook should tell you (or they might have provided recovery CDs with the PC)

okay cheers for that I have had a look, and to restore it, it said I needed to boot in safe mode with command Prompt, type C:\Windows\System32\Restore\Rstrui.exe. when I done this windows boot manager comes up and say windows failed to start.

The reason for this was because of the file \windows\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt.

Any ideas on what to do now?

No, that is something else. That will only get you System Restore (from Microsoft/Windows) not the full PC restore, OEM restore, factory restore, or whatever else they call it these days.

Look elsewhere on the Sony site. Or call their customer support.

Back