Ubuntu 9.10 (GRUB2/ext4fs) Support

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
The newest build of EasyBCD 2.0 (at the time of this posting, build 65) should solve all outstanding issues with Ubuntu 9.10 and GRUB2 support.

Two ways of making it work:
1) Chainload GRUB2
Select GRUB2 from the drop-down in EasyBCD's Add/Remove items page under the Linux section. The default is GRUB 1 (Legacy) so you need to manually select it!
2) NeoGrub
EasyBCD's NeoGrub module now has full support for ext4fs (again, I guess :wink:) and you can use it to manually create a NeoGrub entry for Ubuntu 9.10 with the traditional legacy GRUB syntax.

I have registered but cannot download the beta build???
How can I do it to solve a Ubuntu 9.10 and Windows 7 issue to boot from W7.
Thanks

There seem to remain some challenges, perhaps just in deocumentation.

When I select GRUB2 there is no way of linking it to the Ubuntu 9.10 install...? As soo as I select it the other options seem to disappear. I can however try to get it done by modifying the other options prior to going Grub2.

What isn't clear to me is how one should install Ubuntu 9.10 in those magic last moments where it really wants to overwrite the MBR (which I am hesitant to do since I have been unable to boot Windows before, and I really need easy access to Windows 7). So I thought by totally bypassing that step and using EasyBCD I could get it done, but no luck thus far... Windows 7 loads OK, but Ubuntu doesn't boot due to Grub issues...

Use the "advanced" button when you're at the bootloader section of the Ubuntu install.
That takes you to another screen where you tell it to put grub in the Linux partition not in the MBR.
Then from Vista/W7 using EasyBCD 2.0 latest build, specify Grub2.
It greys everything it doesn't need to know with Grub2. Those options are only needed for legacy grub.
EasyBCD will do everything you need automatically.

I am using the text-based installation CD, which allows one to install GRUB2 to a device. I know my Ubntu partition is sda5, so I guess I'll try that as a target for Grub2 and will report how it goes...

Thanks for the pointer!

Addendum:

Thanks so much - it now works perfectly!

Last edited:
Use the "advanced" button when you're at the bootloader section of the Ubuntu install.
That takes you to another screen where you tell it to put grub in the Linux partition not in the MBR.
Then from Vista/W7 using EasyBCD 2.0 latest build, specify Grub2.
It greys everything it doesn't need to know with Grub2. Those options are only needed for legacy grub.
EasyBCD will do everything you need automatically.

Awesome thanks. Two questions: 1) When the linux OS does a kernel update so that a new kernel gets installed, do I need to make any changes in BCD ? 2) If I reinstall linux, will I have to make any changes in BCD ?

You won't need to make any changes in the first case, EasyBCD will take care of that.

In the 2nd, it really depends on a number of issues. You most likely won't, but if it breaks, just repeat the steps again. It's not like their hard :grinning:

Back