Unable to chainboot Ubuntu 9.10 Beta with EasyBCD 2.0 Build 64

I didn't feel a new thread was in order as there's no problem here. I just wanted to share in the joy.

The new build 65 works with Debian Squeeze (testing)'s grub2 as well!

I took a gamble by running that upgrade-from-grub-legacy as I have been sticking with the chainload into grub2 for EasyBCD to boot my Linux on the 2nd hard drive using NeoGrub as recommended for such.

I ran the build 65 install, booted into Linux, ran the upgrade-from-grub-legacy, did not select a drive (sda or sdb) when prompted as it had been booting from my Linux partition without having itself in the mbr of either drive just fine to this point and I did not want to mess things up by having grub2 install itself into an mbr, booted into Windows 7, deleted the old NeoSmart Linux entry, and created the new entry in add/remove.

I just picked the Linux tab and selected Grub2 from the drop-down. I noticed the hard drive light flashing while EasyBCD was doing its detecting and when I selected to add the entry.

I was a little worried that although it reported success, it had changed that drop-down to grub (normal) and that the NeoGrub is installed message appeared as well.

With sinking hopes of not having a clue what to manually enter into the NeoGrub menu.lst if the auto setup failed, I rebooted the computer.

I selected the NeoSmart Linux entry and was pleasantly surprised to see NeoGrub boot into Debian's grub2 immediately and that Debian's grub2 booted the system perfectly. No more grub-legacy screen with its chainloading into grub2 line.

I hadn't run rm -f /boot/grub/menu.lst as the update-from-grub-legacy instructed if I wanted to delete the non-used grub-legacy configuration file as I was a scared! The last time I had done that and had to do all sorts of aptitude uninstalling, manual deleting, reinstalling and grub setups from the Debian install cd rescue mode and a SuperGrub cd.

I'm grateful that all that isn't necessary this time and that the new EasyBCD 2.0 beta build 65 also handled grub2 installed to a second hard drive's Linux partition perfectly.

I checked out the NST folder's menu.lst and saw that it now loads /boot/grub/core.img and uses the new grub2 syntax for the kernel (just kernel, not root). Whew! I'm just glad I didn't need to edit that stuff in. I failed miserably when I had tried with the older version.

Thanks for making all this work automatically and for this great program in general. :smile:

You guys are all most welcome. Keep the feedback coming, and glad it's all going so well with this build!! :smile:

Back